Crime and punishment

Having to choose trial by fire or water and losing stats (temporarily or permanently). Or trial by combat and struggling to win?

yes many people literally got away with murder as there wasnt exactly a police force patrolling . the law was very much different in its enforcement levels to which lord ruled that land . the only time the state would really get involved was if you was committing mass murder etc . the majority of "crimes " were church related like not giving The church the correct potion of grain from your harvest resulting in you being butchered by 20 priests haha . the church were really the ones that enforced the law much like in the Islamic state now days . so most crimes were for adultery and religious crimes . the kings men had no time to deal with a bunch of peasants butching each other it was the lords job to enforce law in his land

How about you donā€™t go killing every cow you see, if you donā€™t want to be chased and charged? No offense but you sound like some sort of psycho, with this whole ā€œbut I want to commit crimeā€ talk.

For one I would like this game to keep trying to be as realistically acurate as possible. Skyrim had a fine system only if compared to previous games. It still was way too lax on the consequences, and in the end nothing could possibly stop you from murdering the whole population of the province if you wanted to (except those pesky kids).

ps: In case I havenā€™t been clear enough, sure go ahead and commit all the crime you want. But if you are caught, and overpowered (and you should, since this is not an ā€œarmy of oneā€ game), then face the terrible consequences. I hope thereā€™s capital punishment for the worst crimes.

jesus you must be fun ā€¦tell me how youā€™d implement capital punishment on a player ?
yes and this is not a life simulator either , its a medieval RPG thats it if as a player you want to be an outlaw that rides and murders and robs you should be able too without being hindered by a 20 hour long court trial on every crime . yes i agree that they should have a realistic justice system but it must be kept in the category of fun .
personally yes i have days on games such as skyrim where i just kill everything i see and other days where i ride around slaying dragons saving the villagers it should be fun and possible to do both good and bad in the game there must be a balance

I agree, a mix of realism and fun is for the best. I think the majority of gamers like to play both ways - seriously for the majority of their gaming session, and occasionally when theyā€™re feeling like stepping it up, going on a rampage.

The witness system needs to be in place. however, if you kill a few people along a quiet secluded road and no-one sees, you should be able to get away with it. in fact, it would be nice if you had the option of being a criminal. not too hard to imagine that some of the more unpleasant characters in the medieval times would have resorted to any means to get rich and iā€™m sure thousands got away with it.

The trick is not getting caught. So wear a balaclava and leave no fingerprints.

Not a 20-hour trial on every crime, just really bad crimes. Not-terribly serious crimes would get a fine, like a traditional rpg. Resisting arrest would simply cause the guards to skewer you. Doing something REALLY bad, like slaying a nobleman or burning down a village etc. would get the attention of the local Lord, who could dispense punishment. And trials would be relatively fast. Walk into the Great Hall, someone presents the case (dialogue you can skip), Lord makes his decision, you can appeal for Trial By Combat or Trial By Oath or something along those lines, the Lord says yes or no, and you get your punishment.
Capital punishment would simply make you reload your last save before the Crime, like any other time you dieā€¦ the Trial would simply allow you to get out by some other meansā€¦
Of course I wouldnā€™t want to try and ā€œpunishā€ players in a video game more than making them reload if killed by the guards. In reality, I despise games that do that (cough, Assassins Creed). Another poster explained the ā€œproblemā€ of kill able children. Whatā€™s the problem? If someone (not ME or anything ;)) wants to behead digital children, let them! Sure its murder, theyā€™ll reload, laugh their psychopathic laugh, and get on with life. Its a hell of alot better than killing REAL childrenā€¦
And if you really want to avoid the trial, why not just reload or commit suicide/resist arrest?

I concur killable children is nice, but i think the process of the lord saying yes or no to a trial of arms should be effected by your luck attribute and charisma (if those stats exist) also by the evidence.

id be happy with that idea yes . i think though you should be able to talk your way out of crimes in the court even if you did commit them using the speech system

Stop right there criminal scum!

Resist arrest option selected.

I certainly hope they put some work into the criminal system. I think that trial by combat would be a very fun game mechanic, but Iā€™m not sure how practical it would be for the storyline.

We are working on our crime system right now! :slight_smile: So stay tuned. In the meantime some historical facts. Ordeals or trials are a little bit outdated for 15th century by then most of these uncivilized practices erradicated. Courts were quite common and happened on important days (market days, holidays ect.) also there were numerous types of courts (courts for nobles, common people, court of appeal, church court ect.).

2 Likes