Darkness at Night

I love it, that the night is really dark, like in real life. But:

• I think the change between daylight - night is way to fast
  • especially since the goal is realism, would it be possible the increase the brightness over time, the longer you’re not using a light (torch, campfire,…), to copy the adaption of the eyes to the darkness?

I’m personally not a fan of the idea “torch while riding”, simply because riding during night in real life is dangerous as hell. But it would be nice in general, to activate the torch with an extra key/slot, since it’s annoying to deactivate the sword all the time. and if you have a shield in the slot, you simply don’t draw it together with the sword when you are holding a torch.

and it would be nice to have a portable sleeping mat, so you could “set camp” in the woods (I good stuck once while running away from bandits, and I couldn’t see anything, I had to wait…:’( ). maybe combined with events like “killed/robbed by animals/bandits”, “animals stole your food”, buff: “you got a cold”, … and you only get your rest up to 60/70

4 Likes

I thought the game was supposed to be 1 hour = 60 minutes

Maybe I misread this somewhere.

I would love a LITTLE bit direct lightning from the moon and stars at the skybox…without that the night is a bit too dark imo

5 Likes

Isn’t real life like that too?

4 Likes

@ alabie: ehm…yes…why you’re asking? :slight_smile:

@ pengman 19: I guess it was like 1h = 1day

Most games are 1 hour = 1 minute

Or something else, but usually never 1 hour = 60 minutes

2 Likes

ugh :slight_smile: that would be too heavy

I remember this working somehow better at first alphas right? I also love dark nights but now I cannot even follow the field road at the full moon. It’s feels darker then real night to me.

6 Likes

In “Gothic” there was something like 5 seconds = 1 minute, and it’s pretty good. If we want realism then 20 seconds = 1 minute is quite good too. Still, if regular game is for ~20-30 hours, then you can finish this during one day.

Adaption of the eyes. Yes!

Agreed! Especially a portable sleeping mat would me very handy!!

Most other titles have maps with severe compression of distances. Where a village is only a few hundred metres from the next one, and cities are 1km apart.

In ‘other game’ type world, the compression of time makes sense - cities revert to ‘a day’s ride’ apart.

When we have a nearly 1:1 scaling (with some surgery to eliminate filler villages between the NW and SE corner “blocks”, the current time scaling is obnoxious. I took nearly all day to carry three bodies off a road and into the adjacent ditch. A four line dialogue takes most of the afternoon, leaving the player scrambling to find a bed in the failing light… and it is taking many times longer to move between our small collection of hamlets/villages than it would in real life.

Doesn’t prevent “timeskip” on performing slower actions (such as mini-games for lockpicking, smithing, alchemy) as well as when resting, reading or sleeping. But I think what is shown so far needs some rethink, or modding once the we get access to the tools.

4 Likes

Most games use: 1 minute (in game) = 1 second (in real life). Like GTA 5 and Fallout 4. It’s pretty standard.
This ratio means a full day cycle in game passes in 24 minutes (in real life). No reason to use any other ratio.

sure there is, if you want any realism. take the hunger system, it’s tied to the in world clock making you end up hungry constantly as is sleep cycle making you have to go to sleep all the time, conversations and combat move at real time making them last hours in game time, and why would we want a full day to go by in 24 minutes? we want to get as much done as we can before the sun goes down. so just because it’s “standard” doesn’t mean it’s right and doesn’t mean the game needs to follow this.

personally i think it should be 1 minute/minute. but sleep and time skipping should go at an accelerated rate. this gives us plenty of time to get things done and the days and years already progresses at the rate of cutscene (so it’s not like you have to play it for multiple years or anything) i see no reason to NOT have real time for game time.

The reason it’s typically not extended in other games is because many people prefer playing in the day over the night or vice versa, a problem that is only made worse in KCD with realistically dark nights.

The best option is to make the player only need to eat once a day (because really, how many people back then always got 3 squares), and make the “tired” punishment maybe only kick in after 36 hours in-game (or something like that).

Real time for in game isn’t practical because let’s say I want to wait until nightfall so I can sneak into a bandit camp to poison them. With real time I would have to play for up to 12 HOURS before I could do it.

Also the entire first act can be completed in 30 hours. Using real time would mean I’d only need to sleep once throughout the entire play-through, lol. There are very good reasons why we don’t see it in other games. =)

With real time you can find somewhere safe to “wait” for 10 hours-14 hours, then return.

You are not required to pass all the time at 1:1 as you are in the real world, but gain the opportunity to get done what would be possible in the world. We have (nearly) accurately sized regions to play in (separated by slightly squished regions to avoid excessively long travel times in real world). This means that highly compressed times do break the real-game interaction.

What is “typical in other games” shouldn’t dictate what is selected in a context that isn’t typical.

Just saying, there is a reason that those successful games made the decisions they did. But you are completely right Lieste about having a “wait” feature where you set the duration and that much time passes.

It worked for Fallout. =)

or time skip…

The time of a day is far too quick. It should probably last 3x the length you have it at now.
Sleeping takes far too long. I would suggest 1 sec equals 1 hour in sleep time. Any longer than that and you will likely have people tabbing out of the game off and on while waiting for the timer to complete. It ruins the experience.

The sleep time is so slow because the AI is not properly optimized yet. It will be much faster in the future. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like if his eye would start to adjustice to the darkness after a while, like it would happend in the real world.

1 Like