Different Animations for Different Weapons

Continuing the discussion from How to counter the “dumbing down”: Advice for Warhorse Studios to deliver a true Hardcore RPG:

I’m pretty sure this is a “no derp” topic but at least someone can’t say “this wasn’t brought up later” now.

Something that I’m curious and concerned about is how the different weapons will translate with different animations in combat, particularly using the “combat star” as I like to call it, and the blocking mechanic.

It just seems to me that the “combat star” was made for slashing weapons and not much more. Sure, it works very well for a long-sword, but what about a mace? Being a blunt weapon it would have to swing differently than a sword and your opponent would have to block/deflect the blow in a different manner than he/she would block/deflect a sword.

So how are Warhorse Studios going to do this?

I am aware that they already have a sword & shield animation, but like I said, it looks like the “combat star” was built with longswords in mind, and this game could have all manner of combinations: dagger v.s. longsword, axe v.s. pike, broadsword v.s. mace, and so on. And each one of those might require different animations.

I think they are going into very high detail with the combat system, and every weapon class will be unique in it’s fighting style. They said that the flail will not be in act 1, because it would take a lot of work to integrate in the combat system. This sounds to me like adding a weapon class takes a lot of work, because it requires unique animations and actions. This is just speculations, though.

As Dan said in the last livestream video: They have to do all kinds of combinations for each weapons. For now it’s sword against sword, but they’re working on sword against axe. This also means they need a comination axe vs. axe. Or to make it clear: For n weapons, you need n! combinations. This is what makes it really difficult.

2 Likes

I have to be that guy in this case, but it is n choose 2 combinations or 0.5(n-1)n which is still a lot, but not as much as n!

No, not really. Let’s do it with swords, maces, axe and halberd (just as examples).

sword vs sword, mace vs. mace, halberd vs. halberd, axe vs. axe
sword vs mace, sword vs. halberd, sword vs. axe
mace vs. halberd, mace vs. axe
halberd vs axe

which is 4!, this is 10.

4! is 24, the math is still wrong. I was also wrong, it is 4 choose 2 plus the identical pairs. So 0.5(n-1)n + n or 0.5(n+1)n.

Sorry, braincells got lost on the way while writing the post :wink:

Yeah it’s (n*(n-1)) / 2

I just noticed that for (n+1) choose 2 operations if you swap the multiplication with addition in the factorial math for n it works out the same. So that’s neat to know.

Here it is.

I disagree. It shouldn’t be different animation for different weapons. It should be different animations for different fighting styles.

1 Like

i really wait to see axe animations and moves since we Scandinavians really love our axes.

2 Likes

Vi elsker vores økser!

1 Like

I can easily see your point and to some extent, I agree; a small guy might have a different style than a big guy because they both need to compensate for their size. But IMO, it has one flaw:

This isn’t Asia, where they had martial arts, sword fighting forms, and who knows how complex techniques. My point being that, how different do you think the fighting styles were in medieval Europe?

I’m not informed if our ancestors did have combat forms, so excuse my ignorance if they did, but I think that as a general rule, there wasn’t a “tiger style” of swinging an axe. You just swung, with maybe compensation for size, weight, and based on what your opponent was wearing and using.

Specielt Daneøkser xD mmhm

1 Like

there are not only weapons but also weapon combinations (sole swrod and sword+shield differ). Each needs a counter. Each might have several styles mastery-wise. The numbers are growing fast.

2 Likes

Holy s#!t! You guys have a quite the workload. You really need a dedicated day for fans to come and hug you guys. I’ll be first in line.
But seriously, Warhorse is the hero-developer. We support you.
Gonna be so AWESOME!

2 Likes