Escapism. Is this you?

World of Warcraft fan comic (08.2006) by Nyklia

escapism (noun) : The tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy. (Oxford dictionaries)

8 Likes

Wow
 I never liked wow.

5 Likes

it is tiring, hate wow

It’s not just about WoW, it could be any other role-playing game.
You help everyone and do things in a game that you would loathe doing in reality.

1 Like

Yeah, I hate it when my mother asks me to go fight dragons. Freaking first degree burns.

2 Likes

See edit. “You help everyone and do things in a game that you would loathe doing in reality.”

It’s not just about the dragons, think of the smaller quests: go there, fetch me that, climb a mountain, risk your neck for a fistful of dollars
 All in the name of “fun”.

You think that it’s about the task? Yeah I’m sure they would be just as great in a completely blank world. It’s about the world and characters, not the random job. Anyway, I tend to stay away from things as boring as “fetch me a pie from a well”, however skyrim does a good job of masking those quests with an actual story

Hahahahahahaha. That’s great!

Story of my life. Slacking is written on my forehead.

Game worlds and characters are modeled on what you refer to as “blank”. The only difference is that game worlds are a lot easier to decipher, since their systems only simulate a simplified reality.

I was never fond of following orders on RPG games, i tend to murder most quest givers who demand me to do things, such in skyrim or fallout. Alas, choices, such wonderful things to have in a game, Course though cant really do that irl, so guess i got to go to work :frowning:

I’m not a monster :’( 

I think :I

@Dushin [Off-topic]

“Story of my life. Slacking is written on my forehead.”

This could be a symptom of maladaptive perfectionism
?

Procrastination goes hand in hand with missing deadlines and is fueled by the belief that one should “Do it right or don’t do it at all.” Perfectionists are shocked to hear that they are a perfectionist because “My room/desk is always a mess.” If you ask them why it’s a mess they say that in order to clean it up the “right way” it would take enormous energy and effort they feel they don’t have. So they wait for a burst of energy or motivation, then work multiple hours without a break until exhausted, only to be dissatisfied in the end because they will still see something done “imperfectly”. These strategies and outcomes are remembered the next time the project comes up (e.g., cleaning their room) so avoidance and procrastination kick in as the person says, “I just don’t have the motivation or energy to clean my room. I must be a lazy person.”

Fight procrastination: Break larger projects down into sub-steps and do one at a time. Give yourself rewards for completing steps in a task in order to keep your motivation up throughout completion of the task. Allow yourself to leave a project unfinished and come back to it another time with a fresh perspective. Don’t miss deadlines: It is better to turn in rough drafts than nothing at all.

(Jeff Szymanski, PhD – “Perfectionism:” Are You Sure It Pays Off?)

1 Like

That does not work at all àČ _àČ„

I can break things down into smaller steps, but I can’t help but look at the big picture, or all of it at once (àČ„ïčàČ„)

Any reward I can give myself doesn’t seem worth it since I already have it àČ ~àČ 

If I leave something unfinished, I’ not going back to it any time soon ┬─┬ノ( Âș _ Âșノ)

Is the guy who wrote that able to see my desk from here, it does indeed look like a mess but I am not gonna clean it without reason to do so.

Agreed. That guy has no idea how perfectionists think àČ _àČ 

Ehem. I wasn’t talking to you. :expressionless:

So? It still applies.

Escapism: All gamers ever.

I can’t say that escapism is my motivation in gaming. Rather, I enjoy exploring a new world, learning its culture, lore, customs, and humors; also, having an opportunity to meet and make friends of people I would otherwise never know existed. It’s one of the reasons I have traditionally preferred MMO games to all other genres.

It is also worth calling out that games (MMOs especially) are beginning to play a larger role in things from education to economics, psychology, medicine, military, and training.

So no, actually, I think it would be rather inaccurate to say gamers are always escapists. Though I suppose it is a handy stereotype. Reality is, humans have a true need for play as part of their well-being. Games are just one of many outlets that provide it.