Games that led you to KC:D

‘Medieval fantasy’ RPGs like the Elder Scrolls games and Dragon Age, for the most part. Though there’s nothing remotely realistic about any of them, they got me interested in medieval history, which in turn got me interested in playing a game set in that period. The real-life history of Europe in the Middle Ages is far more interesting than anything I’ve ever seen in a fantasy game.

To bad Ubisoft, the soulless bastards, took down the servers. If you want to do MP you will have to play on russian b servers with 3 people on them and unbarable lag :´( DM was incredibly well done for being 2006 and the PvP is the funniest MP experience I have ever had…

Just a overall history buff since my teens, makes me somewhat annoying to converse with. Though in terms of games, nothing brought me here, but every game that makes an effort to explore some facet of our shared reality is of interest to me.

That and I like swords - which came from the first instance of being into history. Or moreover military history and various literary epics.

I am an overall fan of history. But as I don´t find history actually represented in games (yet), I don´t specifically look for historian games.

The game that brought me here was Star Citizen though .

1 Like

What drew me to KC: D? Gopher

What drew me to Medieval History? College

I’m here because I love swordplay games and this one looked like it had potential. Stuff like Soul Calibur, Jedi Academy/Outcast, etc… is what I live for.

I’ve always been interested in various genres, Strategy, RTS, Historical, Sandbox, Simulation, some RTS fantasies (Age of Mythology) and fantasies with good lore (The Elder Scrolls).

Age of Empires II

Like a lot of people in here what there got me really interested in history was Age of Empires II, which I just love I’ve completed the full campaign with all expansions at least 5 times now, this game’s educational value is really good aside from learning history I also learned English that way when I was very young, looking at the different icons for resources and learning the name of basic resources, this also give me an incentive to ask my father what stuff means in English which wasn’t that obvious. And very good soundtracks as well, but not so historically accurate it feels mostly like a mix between old and new but i loved it!

Civilization I - V

I probably used over 1000 hours if we put all the civilizations games together, there was so much to learn as a kid from this game as, the advance of technology and humans, social engineering and in the special scenarios you could also learn some specific history. And also some brief history of different technologies and civilizations that you could read about.

The Total War Series

As the others very educational strategy games with historical accuracy and tons of stuff to experience from their first game Shogun Total War to their Latest Rome Total War 2. Of cause the one most relevant to this game would be Medieval Total War I & II, which I spent countless hours on.

Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion

What there really caught me here was the lore and setting of the game the endless worlds to explore and thousand stories to be told and of cause the epic main theme The Reign of the Septims I do enjoy good soundtracks they make a game memorial. The world design in Elder Scrolls games never ceases to amaze me.

Garry’s Mod

The first sandbox i tried where almost everything was intractable and it also led me to learn development in Lua which became my first programming language. Since it is a sandbox game there are all sorts of servers with different gamemodes most the the gamemodes i played was roleplaying gamemodes.

American Conquest

Once again a very historically based RTS game, ranging from the Colonial Era to the American Independence. If anyone knows Cossacks this runs on the same engine and is from the same developers just in a different setting. Giving a lot of insight in Architecture of that period as well and a good take on territorial multiplayer battles which is decisive in the way that if the nation you’ve signed your account up as belonging to losses your nation also losses a certain amount of land, which is something I’ve not seen in any other game before.

Battlefield 2142

Tired of all the Battlefield clones DICE and EA are making? Try Battlefield 2142! This is not the same old Russia attacks USA setting you always see, if they made this game with modern graphics and the good mechanics they found in the newer battlefields it would be an amazing game.

Others

Since I could go on and on about this for hours, I’m just going to make a little list here instead.
Tycoon games.
SimCity 3000 and 4 Deluxe
Age of Mythology
Imperium Galactica - I should have said something more about this game but I almost forgot the game existed, thanks to this thread I didn’t!

Edit: Note this is all games from my childhood not necessarily the games I’m playing currently.

1 Like

It’s not really a surprise though, it is almost a 10 year old game, and it didn’t exactly get massive attention.

Age of Empires II was great great game, but I fell in love with RPGs when I started playing The Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim) and Mount&Blade:Warband.

Totally underrated! DM2 would be a godsend

1 Like

Age of Empires II
Age of Empires was one of the absolute first games I played. I didn’t have a clue about what was going on, but I slowly started to understand the basic mechanics of a game, and take my first steps as a gamer.
Diablo II
Diablo II was the first RPG I ever played. I fell in love with it’s online aspect, and began to develop a competitive side.
Warcraft III
This was the great time of LAN-parties. We would gather in giant groups, and play downloaded Warcraft III maps. I think this is where I got interested in mods. I did get some basic experience in computer-logic and a very limited understanding of coding through the world-editor.
Then all my friends started playing WoW, and all the fun went away. (F**k you Blizzard)
Prince of Persia
I picked up Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, because I had played Prince of Persia 3D when I was younger. I really liked Warrior Within, and became obsessed with action games. I immediately got Sands of Time and Two Thrones, and completed them several times.
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
I remember a friend introducing me to the game, and not being very impressed by it. Then I finally tried it, and was blown away. I was introduced to the concept of open world, and I loved it.
Assassin’s Creed
I remember being super hyped for this game when it first was revealed. It was kind of a successor to the Prince of Persia series, so naturally I had to get it. I was not disappointed, and loyally pre-ordered every game up to and including ACIII. I got too involved in the multiplayer, and finally realized that I should probably ease up a bit, when I saw my name om the top 10 leaderboards. So I pressed alt+f4, and I haven’t played an Assassin’s Creed game since.
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
I remember walking around in constant hype for about a year, and I’m utterly satisfied with the result. This is my absolute most played game. During the first three days after release I clocked in at 50 hrs. When I was at around 100 hrs, I kind of took a break. But then I discovered the Nexus. The first mod I downloaded was a simple mod, called project P.E.W, and was mostly for fun. But then I slowly got into heavier modding, and eventually ended up with 15 gigs of mods. It is here I got into hardcore realistic survival gameplay. I started to experiment myself, and eventually released a small mod called Tarzan Yell. I went on to bigger projects afterwards, but have unfortunately not been able to work on them for some time now. I
Crusader Kings II
This game amazed me. I didn’t expect it to be anything significant, but was utterly surprised by the fun I had without fancy graphics, or stunning animations. The fact that it is able to tell a story through mechanics intrigued me. It’s a complex game, and it took me a while to understand. It taught me more advanced principles in politics in the medieval ages. It is also a very historically accurate game, so I became a lot more interested in history.

Heroes of Might & Magic III also deserves a mention.

Then one day I saw an article on PCGamer. KCD is the first thing I have ever backed.
I want to hug Dan Vávra

1 Like

Just searched for the game Imperium Galactica, apparently they’re making a new one if anyone’s interested. Currently it only works for iPad but planned platforms are: Windows, iPad, Android and possibly Mac but I have nothing to confirm this.

Edit: Actually never mind, what the developer has on their website is just new development for smart phones even though it just says “Under development”, so they’re just porting it, but if you wish to play an old classic from 2000th then go ahead :smile: