Games that led you to KC:D

I know I’m posting another game thread, but this time I’m looking for the the games that made you fall in love with the medieval era.

I think the first medieval game I played as Age of Empires 2 and Looooved it. While I haven’t played it in 2 years and I didn’t buy the HD remake it’s still one of my favorite medieval games ever! After that my brother got a copy of Half-Life and download almost every mod you could think of including a mod which we spent too much time in MasterSword which is now MasterSword Continued my all time favorite HL mod. Then to sum it all up a friend would later give me a copy of Mount&Blade which blew my medieval mind and lastly I ran across the great Witcher series. There are probably games I forgot but HEY! These stood out.

4 Likes

Ever heard of a game called Dark Messiah of Might and Magic? That pretty much got me into games like this. The game is basically a combination of the Elder scrolls 4 and God of war 1. It was an underrated, but great game.

Then… Then I played Skyrim. And I enjoyed the living hell out of it.

AND SO HERE I AM!

1 Like

The games that introduced me to the medieval/fantasy genre were Diablo I and Myth: the Fallen Lord.

1 Like

i like to browse east european gaming news websites because they tend to focus on simulators, strategies, realistic pc games. i probabaly stumbled across dan vavra’s blog on one of those sites maybe 2 years ago. then i saw the cryengine footage and was hooked ever since.

i’ve been interested in realistic medieval games before mount and blade ever came out, so yeah. no game led me here.

Its always good to see Age of Empires II get some love. I owe that game a lot for getting me interested in the medieval period (heck, history in general, for that matter). And Mount & Blade: Warband is a fantastic game too, especially with the Brytenwalda or Anno Domini 1257 mods.

As for other medieval games, I have a great deal of affection for Anno 1404: Dawn of Discovery, which is a wonderful economy and city-building game that I picked up on a whim from a bargain bin for $5.00 and was pleasantly surprised by it. Another game I admire is Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades, which combines a Mount & Blade strategic map with Total War-style combat with the fantastically unique setting of the Baltic crusades and the Teutonic Order. Oh, and then there’s Crusader Kings II, which is just about the most fun and devious political intrigue simulator that’s ever been released.

2 Likes

Ha, I was just about to say the exact same thing about AOEII. Medieval 2 total war was also a big one for me.

2 Likes

Age of Empires 2 which lead me to medieval Total war 1, Rome Total War, medieval Total war 2. from that I jumped to games like Witcher, Oblivion, Skyrum Assassins creed. and here I am

Dračí Doupě :smiley: (Czech DnD but more subtle I would say) It led me to the history as a hobby (was curious how functional the weapons were in real life, then who used them and how, made them… etc).

Then I played many PC games as they were released from Die by the Sword, Myth the Fallen Lord, Total War series, Age of Empire… to M&B, Chivalry, War of the Roses. Basicly anything that involve medieval combat

But it was actually just curious what is Vávra doing (ARMA were comming and it reminds me there are other Czech game developers) what brought me to his blog and then here.

I don’t think you’re going to get many posts with a lot of different games because, outside of fantasy, there has virtually never been an authentic medieval RPG. Even Mount & Blade (a game I love) wasn’t historically accurate. Sorry to be reticent, and pernicious, but this is something that has annoyed me my whole life.

I’m a big fan of European History, I’ve loved it since I was a kid especially the Middle Ages. I’ve always wanted an RPG based on the era but you know what? NOBODY has had the balls to make it… Until now. Literally, for over 30 years every G-Damn “medieval” RPG has to have fantasy elements which has always, to a certain extent, ruined the immersion of the game for me. Does anyone even know how many fantasy RPG’s have been made? Probably thousands, but nobody cares to do a realistic, authentic, historical one? Not one? WTF!

So when the info about this game, I stumbled across one day, I almost crapped my pants. I’ve never donated money to a game, or any such things, nor do I even buy a lot of video games but I knew I’d have to give them money for this, you know why? Because they’re brave, they’re bucking the convention that a lot of people have that a “medieval” period game HAS to have magic and fantasy. Honestly if it wasn’t for kickstarter I don’t thing this game would ever get made. It’s really changing the possibility for games, but that’s a whole different subject.

4 Likes

While that is why many of us are here, and I CAN"T WAIT! for this try at a authentic medieval RPG, some people here could of started liking Medieval realism from something that is totally non-realistic game like Final Fantasy or even characters in a fighting game. I do get where you are coming from though we will probably seen a lot of the same games in this thread

Umm… well, it wasn’t the medieval aspect that drew me.
I typed “sandbox” in KS and threw money at anything that looked promising.

What drew me to KCD was the little “survival” note next to it. I seem to be on a survival kick lately. Anything that requires me to find food or resources and there’s really only a handful of those.
No magic and fantasy elements is quite refreshing as I’m kinda bored with the “it’s magic” explanation.

1 Like

For me there wasn’t a game which got me interested into medieval stuff.
I was always interested in these kind of things. This means since I was a kid I was interested in the middle ages and (european) history in general.

Actually, I’m not too fond of that fantasy stuff. It’s okay sometimes but most of the time it seems rather silly. Or I don’t like the style of it. For example WoW has this childish comic style while other games are too colorful or oversaturated. I prefer a more dark and serious atmosphere. Also, I’m not that much of an RPG gamer. I’m more into games where my skill as a player has also some say in the outcome of an encounter. Not just some numbers decide my fate. There has to be some challenge involved.

As for medieval themed games. I can’t remember exactly which game my first medieval game was but I think it was maybe Defender of the Crown for C64. That was a fun game. I think it was set in England.
Another true classic is Moonstone for Amiga which was a very violent game and it had a nice dark atmosphere, too.
Later I enjoyed the Legacy of Kain Saga on PS2 & PC. Although it’s completely fantasy it’s one of my favorite game series. Unfortunately, Crystal Dynamics decided to make Tomb Raider games instead of new Legacy of Kain content.

Someone mentioned Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. That’s one of my favorite games. It’s in 1st-person, too. In this game there’s also body awareness (you can see your body at all times). What I also really like is the movement in combat. Your head moves realistically with the weapon. Which feels very natural. I myself didn’t play Morrowind but what I saw watching a friend playing seemed just awkward compared to Dark Messiah because when he did some attack with the sword the head of the character just remained in the same position and the hand with the sword did some simple moves. It looked very seperate and therefore not very immersive. I didn’t like it. But because of the good things I explained about Dark Messiah, I think, I really will like Kingdom Come because it delivers more of the same stuff.

Every now and then I play Knights of Honor, a strategy game. I’m always starting with a small kingdom to keep it challenging. Last time I played it with the Holy Roman Empire mod installed, starting with the Teutonic Order which was really hardcore because the surrounding kingdoms attacked me all the time for no reason. I was only trying to build up my cities and armies. But finally after a long struggle I conquered their territories, one by one.

Some weeks ago I started playing Anno 1404. In this game you have to build a settlement on an island and advance it to the highest civilization level. A very time consuming game but nonetheless a lot of fun.

So, finally, how did I get to know about Kingdom Come?
I learned about it from a hardware/gaming-site.
That was around the time when the Kickstarter campaign started.

The stupid thing about Kickstarter is, I can’t pledge with PayPal.
But two days ago I eventually decided to order a credit card from my bank.
And now I hope it will be here before all king tiers are gone.

2 Likes

Gothic. Best game ever.

2 Likes

The games that led me to this game would have to be something like Mount & Blade, maybe Kingdoms Under Fire: The Crusades (I know it’s fantasy but I enjoyed that game well) or even Bladestorm: The Hundred Years’ War and maybe the Kessen games. I’ve been extremely fascinated by the war games from various historical settings even if they are fantasy games.

Like loads of others I played the living tits off of Age of Empires II which kicked off my interest in the period. I have since become more interested in Roman history so I play a lot of Total War Rome 2, as well as all the other Total War games but anyway. Oblivion got me into RPGs and ever since I have been chasing any and every RPG experience out there, resulting in me buying Two Worlds (The worst full price game I have ever bought), when I came across KCD on Kickstarter I had to jump on the band wagon!

It must be Mount & Blade. Though I’ve been dreaming of games such as M&B and this one since I played RPG games the first time in early 90’s. So its more like that I’ve always wanted to play this kind of games but they just didn’t exist until now.

Game mechanisms were good in many RPG’s already then but I just kept wondering why they had to stuff the games with all that fantasy crap when realistic medieval world would have been so much cooler. Well, when I heard of M&B I had to buy it immediately and I loved it. I hope this game will be as good also, maybe even better.

Mostly Total War (all of them).

2 Likes

Some of my favorite RPGs are the Witcher 1 & 2, Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion, & Skyrim, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, of course Final Fantasy I & VII, and Baldur’s Gate.

I wouldn’t want to see Kingdom Come become a clone of any of these. What I think we’ll see is the best of the mix, an open sandbox world with a rich story and many choices for good and bad.

Nice to see another Myth fan, Was addicted to the MP of Myth 2, still play it every now and then.

Open world RPGs, all of them :smiley: