Grade of violence display in the game

Hello there.

From the first video with scenes from the combat system was how detailed the level of displayed violence there will be. Warhorse is trying to get as realistic as possible with the game and we are all glad about that. But you see, in the excercise of violence in a game, there is a fine line between realism and strikingly presentation.

Don’t get me wrong there, i don’t have a problem per se with a strikingly presentation when it comes to be being as realistic as posible. This includes not only the execution of the act itself - like killing somebody with a sword - but also the direct aftermath of it.

A few examples: An enemy with light or no body armor can easily be dislimbed if you hit him hard enough (asides from the condition of your weapon). Ok, dislimbing people isn’t exactly new or rare in certain video games. What i mean is: You could stab him. in both scenarios, there’s a high posibility your enemy is not dead at an instant, he rather could die slow and painfully and/or bleed to death. Or, if you would strike a poor armored enemy over the belly, he could loose his bowels. Strinkingly and cruel. But realistic. Also you could often see such details in tv series like Game of Thrones or Rome nowadays.

So, i am just curious how these type of things will be handled in Kingdom Come.

15 Likes

Slashing someones bowels up and intestines start coming out. Interesting. Should only be viable vs. very light armoured NPC and animals. AND be an option in the menu ofcause ^^

I’m in for the gory part, but only because it keeps the immersion bar full. But please keep it real, a normal human body has got 5,5 liters of blood :slight_smile: I dont want to see an Ocean of blood.

7 Likes

I honestly don’t believe they would go to the lengths to show guts falling out of someones slit gut, but I imagine dismemberment is something they could do, but the real question is will they. I have a feeling the game will not have that kind of gore, but one can hope. I honestly prefer my games to be a bit gruesome simply because of the fact I know games and reality are two separate things and I have no intention of recreating anything that happens in game in the real world.

2 Likes

I don’t think they will either, but I like the immersion aspect on it. Should be a toggle though.

I agree, it’s not likely but immersion is definitely one of the great things that would come of it. And yeah, the ability to disable gore would be a necessity.

I am not really keen on watching my enemy suffer from my inexpirience but in the game there is supposed to be hunger and diseases i beileve so there definitely should be some higher level of violence.
Though i would not really miss it much.

I would like to see limbs not totally dismembered but dangling a bit. It will be interesting to see what they do in this department. No overkill.

3 Likes

Maybe a hand rendered useless because of the sinew being slashed or somehow crushed. Like that?

4 Likes

So long as they keep the blood pouring from the enemy’s body to a realistic level, I’d be more than happy to see dismemberment/disembowelment. To be honest the only thing that ruins the atmosphere of games/movies for me more than having no blood is having 8 cattle’s worth of blood gushing from an arm wound (see 300, Spartacus, etc.).

Now I tend to disagree that dismemberment should be all that common (the human body is rather more resilient than most people suspect), but a strong, well executed blow should result in such an eventuality. Nevertheless, understand that most combat techniques at this time relied heavily upon thrusts and weak-moderate slashes as opposed to the wild haymakers required to sever shoulder from torso. Such blows, though “flashy”, tend to leave the user somewhat drained after a very short time.

3 Likes

Warhorse said they try to implement dismemberment, but it’s too complicated due to their customization system. Last their mention about it I remember was it probably won’t be in the game.

2 Likes

I like the idea of not killing every enemy, but disable them and leave them behind. I think most of the soldiers back then died after the battles, succumbing to their wounds…
If you are very gruesome (or gracious?), you could finish the job by yourself. And if you spare a certain amount of enemys, you could get an additional questline of someone seeking revenge.

1 Like

I am hoping there’s a gore toggle (I prefer less blood; it can be rather distracting). I do like the idea of realistic injuries, because not every fight would necessarily be fatal for either party, and they certainly would play out in varied ways depending on weapons, armor, etc. so I’m looking forward to seeing that represented however they do it.

I don’t get these prevailing immature dismemberment fantasies…you cannot talk about the topic for more than two minutes until someone comes up with that…

1 Like

Watch Braindead. This game is about realism…

I am very mildly interested (emphasis on the very mildly) in the reasoning behind your assumption that the discussion of dismemberment, by it’s very nature, must be “immature”. Please enlighten this 48 year old combat veteran as to the reasoning behind your generalization if you would be so bold. Thanks.

4 Likes

Show me one discussion about the grade of violence in this game in which not at least one of the first 10 posts is about dismemberments… :wink:

I didn’t say that everyone participating in the discussion is immature because of that. But the reduction of melee violence to dismemberment is imho, on a broader scale.

bludgeoning,impalement,dismemberment,decapitation, bleeding,internal bleeding,puncture wounds etc etc etc, depends on much Warhorse want to invest in it.

1 Like

Well, regardless of the spilling of bowels or guts, I do believe that some blood pouring and dismemberment should definitely be a part of the game. As was mentioned earlier, the immersion would climb so much higher with it. I’m all for guts spilling out but I don’t think that alone should be prioritized. Blood and an arm lying on the ground? Hell yes.

2 Likes

I don’t think they should go as far as to show someones innards coming out. Really all they have to do is show limbs coming off and/or armour showing battle signs, like rips, bloodstains, scratches, or chucnks missing. That would completely satisfy me.

One thing I’d really like to see that would make the combat feel more impactful is rather then just simple dismemberment and gore that is based around sword strikes (IE cuts/dismemberment) would be if they actually had gore that allowed for different types of gore/wound dependent on your weapon type, attack used, and the enemy (armor type, etc).

Sword slashes could cause cuts (on unarmored hits) with slashing or impaling if you thrust the sword (IE against mail or into weak points betwene plate armor).

Then you had bludgeon types of gore (maces, etc) where the armor and wounds would look like…well how they should.

To my knowledge no game has really done damage in terms of that, it’s usually just been dismemberment which is mostly scripted when you hit “x” body part with a weapon (even if it’s a mace or something that wouldn’t cause that type of damage).