Henry the hero?

What came into my mind when reading through the forums is that noone actually expects our hero to stay a son of a blacksmith. Everyone is talking about building castles, riding their own banners and learning expert fencing moves.

Why could we not play our part of the story as little as we are? Why to lead a group of hunters into the woods, isn’t it enough to play a minor role as one of the huntsmen? Do we really want to ride in a tournament? Is it necessary to have an opportunity to marry a noblewoman?

I want to experience the medieval times as everyone did. I want to look up to the nobility and try to at least get a little closer to their life than a peasant is. I want to be treated as a rag. I want to be sent on a suicidal mission by a noble man, that doesn’t care about my life. I want to be hunted and beaten, tortured and tormented.

And if I manage to emerge from all these bad things as something else, my highest goals would be humble. Knights, banners, castles and gold? Maybe in the next acts.

22 Likes

I would actually like this most. Not everyone is changing worlds. Just little changes for the few people I meet.

1 Like

Like in mafia. You never became a boss nor did you started your own family. You had your rise and fall. And you were a pawn all the way down.

7 Likes

I’d also like to be a “nobody” a person who is looked down upon by nobles. I’m a bit fed up with games that constantly boost you up from nothing to someone who’s feared/respected by important people, its way to mainstream now and quite boring.

1 Like

Of course I might be completely off but I suspect or rather baselessly predict that there will be significant changes between the acts – or the individual titles in the trilogy. Such as several years passing by. Maybe even leading to major plot developments i.e. witnessing Huss preaching and the beginning of the Hussite movement. With it, we might see the setting shift from Bohemian countryside to Prague itself, if only for a while.

If the above somehow turned to be true then major changes to the player character could be accomodated easily, without compromising a realistic, fairly small-step development during a single game/act. Get involved in the struggle as a lowly peasant turned capable warrior in part one. Gain recognition for your deeds and move up in the world – possibly off screen and over the course of several years – and start from there in part two and so on. Maybe get knighted later on. That kind of thing.

People don’t want to accept that if it was real they would only rarely get elevated to a higher position, they want to be the hero that rises up a nation with that princess on one arm.

At the end of the day the chances of that happening most likely depended on your nation, some nations had weaker caste systems, the only example i can think of that military ranks where done by ability was parliamentarian forces during the english civil war, but thats way out of date.

Chances for a son of blacksmith to become a knight were less then little back then. However, it depends on what story does Dan and guys want to tell us. I would love not to get the princess though :smile:

I like the idea witnessing the rise Hussite movement, being just normal blacksmith being convinced by John Huss and then when he is burned to take to arms with other.
Or maybe be the one who fight against Hussites? Being the one to burn Huss? …
Well i guess this game is about somthing else still I am also no fan of becoming some kind of invicnible hero.

1 Like

You MUST get the girl in the end! Otherwise, what’s the point? :slight_smile:
Have you seen Kingdom of Heaven the movie? Blacksmith becomes noble, noble who becomes hero, hero who chooses to become a blacksmith again. Plus he gets the princess as a bonus! Lovely fantasy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would gladly do without the girl. Kingdom of Heaven is awsome though.

And it also never happened.

Well the Beilien of Ibelin (or how he was called) did exist and he did defend Jerusalem and many things are based on truth but lot of other things are fiction.
(as far as i know at least)

3 Likes

However Beilien was part of the crusades where anyone had the potential to become a someone, Kingdom come is not a massive religious war between the west and east. So rising to power is slightly more complicated, plus Beilien was the bastard son of a noble, so technically he was already half a noble. :stuck_out_tongue: Although I like the concept of you potentially gaining prestige in the future acts during the “time in between” if there is any.

you sir @masozravapalma deserved medal. I think you completely understand what are warhorse’s aims in this game. In some video or block I saw or read that tough part of this game is used to for that you are nobody. You are not hero, you have not special abilities you are only son of blacksmith. And I like your argument with Mafia. Henry is nobody in this game and I like it.

1 Like

As peasant of course you can never be any kind of noble, so no knight or landlord, that’s just impossible. However you can get some special rights from nobles for your acts and be something a bit more than other common people. I can image that. But you will be always underneath and a simple bug for the unfriendly nobles :slight_smile:

I believe it has been said by Warhorse that the game’s story will follow the character on his trajectory from peasant to knight, thats probably what people are talking about but its an RPG, play it however you want.

I believe it matters on nation, if you can become a Knight from the rank of a peasant, i doubt a serf could raise to a Knight, It could be possible for a peasant to be Knighted depending on nation and its stance or opinion of the ruler etc.

Yeah i’m pretty sure it happened here in England, rarely I admit, but I have no idea about Bohemia or even the Holy Roman Empire overall.

If our main character is going to end up as a Knight in this game, I’d prefer it if they save that one for Act III or something. You don’t really become a knight like that if you’re a blacksmith’s son, generally you had to be the son of a knight, but of course there could be exceptions if he’s a successful warrior and prove to be a great asset in the civil war. Still, he’d most likely just end up being a man-at-arms. They could be almost like knights, being well-trained and well-equipped and all that. except they weren’t knights. At least that’s what wikipedia tells me:

Man-at-arms (also called armsman or coistrel) was a term used from the High Medieval to Renaissance periods to describe a soldier, almost always a professional warrior in the sense of being well-trained in the use of arms, who served as a fully armoured heavy cavalryman.[a] It could refer to knights or noblemen, and to members of their retinues or to mercenaries in companies under captains. Such men could serve for pay or through a feudal obligation. The terms knight and man-at-arms are often used interchangeably, but while all knights equipped for war certainly were men-at-arms, not all men-at-arms were knights. (…) The military function that a man-at-arms performed was serving as a fully armoured heavy cavalryman; though he could, and in the 14th and 15th centuries often did, also fight on foot.

(…) one of the easiest ways for a man to improve his social rank was through military service; another method was through the church. In the Norman states, unlike in many other contemporary societies, the knighting of men of common birth who had demonstrated ability and courage on the field of battle was possible. Although rare, some non-knightly men-at-arms did advance socially to the status of knights. The knighting of squires and men-at-arms was sometimes done in an ignoble manner, simply to increase the number of knights within an army (such practice was common during the Hundred Years’ War). In chivalric theory, any knight could bestow knighthood on another, however, in practice this was usually done by sovereigns and the higher nobility.

So yeah, looking at that last quote, there could be a slim chance you could get knighted for doing excellent service in combat… which I guess the bard or the thief characters wouldn’t achieve. You could also maybe become a good friend with a knight, maybe save his life in battle, maybe he’s older than you and is almost like your mentor… and in the end he knight you because he formally has the right to do so as a knight himself.

1 Like

In czech hystory there is one king: George from Poděbrady who as only king from all the czech kings was not from roayal family. Well he was from nobility but what made him a king was not his blood but his brains and ambition. So if simple man who would prove himself were to aquire noble title then there is a little of slightiest posibility that he could became a king.

That does not mean that I would like our protagonist to became king. Just saying that there is always posibility.

(interesting fact: George was crowned in 1458 which is pretty close to “our” story)