Horseback riding style

I suspected that. Well time to organize a donkey joust then right?

1 Like

I am starting to suspect that while full horse armor might not have been common head protection might have been seen more often.

Some non biblical non Italian woodcuts and paintings show horses with either head and neck protection or sometimes chest/chest protection, sometimes combined. Of all these I still imagine head protection is the most important. A small cut or arrow in the hindquarter or the flanks of a horse won’t put it out of business but an arrow between the eyes or a vicious sword blow from another cavalry man probably would. Neck protection would come in handy against enemy cavalry whose sword blows might strike down and cleave into the neck of a horse, something you might consider when the rider is encased in steel. Breast protection I can only imagine as acting as a cushion for a collision or pointy spears and the occasion thin lance/pike.

1 Like

Here is an other Clip from the Schaffhausen Turnier.
Please have a look at the first Part. For most People it seems that the horses are lolopping around tiredly. But it is a highly collected kanter, sometimes changing into a redopp or terre Ă  terre with galopp pirouettes and such stuff. This is exactly where the academic art of riding comes from and it is art of riding what you see!
By the way
 What I didn’t realized before: Tourney/Tournament comes from French “tour”= turning. You can easily see why.

Kolbenturnier Schaffhausen

1 Like

Is there any reason they braided the tails? Is that something historical or something with practical considerations, or both.

I Think both. I have to confess, that I didn’t know exactly why, but till today, many dressage riders braiding the horsetails. It is also traditional in Spain, and for bullfighting and for the Vaqueros, there are tailprotectors from leather in use. On old paintings you can often see braided tails or
 cut off tails, which is prohibited now in most European country. Modern riders do that (the braiding) for protection of the hair (I do it for instance when the horse is in a trailer) and for looking nice. Maybe there are other practical causes, but I can only speculate.

Why is it prohibited to cut it off? Does it annoy the horse or can he no longer swash flies with it?

Both. Many practices from former times are forbidden as a matter of animal welfare.

Ah, ok
 they often cut not only the hair, but also a part of the tail itselve, like they did with some breeds of dogs. This is prohibited by law.

Ah I thought it was just the hair they cut off.

Some countries in Europe still allow tail cutting and ear cropping I believe.

the risk is that uninformed and ignorant people who aren’t curious enough to learn will be put off.

the plus is that they will have done something original, interesting, and perhaps even educational.

the latter seems more than enough to counter the former issue. i doubt people will throw away the game because horse riding is unfamiliar to them. i think they will google and come to the forums and maybe learn something new.

your view is essentially, you don’t care about authenticity or realism, the false image and narrative in your mind is the only thing that matters. that seems solipsistic and highly counter to the concept of curiosity and education imo.

in other words, people may feel the archery or the combat is “unfamiliar” to them, because they are used to hollywood and fantays videogame representation. should we change those to suit their familiarity? of course not. the entire point of the game was to be different and do something unfamiliar to the videogame community at large. if that wasn’t what you wanted, you shouldn’t have plegded

1 Like