How do you gain Stealth xp

I’ve been playing for a few days now and just noticed I have no stealth xp at all. I’ve been sneaking around a lot of places and people and have done the hunting quest, sneaking up behind rabbits to kill them and still nothing. I snuck up to two enemies sleeping in a camp. (The suspicious men at arms from a certain quest I don’t want to spoil) then killed the first in his sleep. he never stood up or managed to get dressed. The other I hit several times before he was able to fignt back, to the point that only two real combat hits with a hunting sword were needed. All this and nothing, yet I want to get to level 5 of that asap so I’ve been trying but apparently doing something wrong.

How do you actually gain stealth XP? or is my game bugged?
Thanks
-a drunken fool

I have the same problem, have done lots of sneaking in the proximity of foe where if I was to stand up or move quickly I would been seen or they would hear me, yet after almost 50hours of play the skill bar for stealth is about 1/4 filled for the 1st level of skill.

not sure what is happening.

Locking picking without being caught. Knocking people unconscious without them noticing you.

2 Likes

This is kinda annoying, honestly… does someone know what’s up? Do you HAVE to do the knockout or something? I haven’t been able to get that to work yet either. Everyone always breaks out (xbox one for reference).

lock picking is broken for me on PC (remapping the controls via the in-game “controls” UI seams to brake the ability to turn the lock despite the UI tool-tip which button it is to turn the lock).

and why do I need to knock people unconscious, I am not playing as a thief, its also not what the info tip for that skill says (at lest that last time I looked at it).

Go to Privslavitz and do stealth there, crouch and kill. Try killing all ~27 Cuman/Bandits without being seen or heard. You’ll get plenty of stealth skill while doing so. We’re black clothes and soft shoes.

1 Like

You can’t stealth kill until the level 5 perk… and I can’t get any stealth xp… level 0. xp 0. cannot do.

Simply sneaking does not appear to level your stealth ability but accomplishing stealthy acts such as picking locks pickpocket and knocking people out.

So far I have had the best success leveling my stealth by following random farmers sneaking (make sure your clothing gives no noise) and knock them out. this has had no effect on my reputation and its a nice way to get a few groshen and stealth experience.

I also train my stealth by picking peoples pockets while they are asleep.

Stealth combat does not appear to increase stealth skill, but rather the stealth based skills.

1 Like

You can also go to the miller Peschek. he offers a training for stealth and lock picking. but it costs groshen

1 Like

No but you can knock them unconscious and then stab them.

Wow… they really need to fix that. That is terrible if you’re playing a “good” character who doesn’t steal

Stealth killing is considered dishonorable though so either way if your trying to stealth kill it would go against you playing as a “good” character.

Don’t forget that the game gives NPC’s an option to give up and surrender, you can choose to be merciful and let them live. Alternatively you can be dishonorable and kill them.

Stealing from innocents, corpse-robbing, and other such “not-good” acts are not necessarily the same as stabbing someone who participates in the slaughter of innocents. What the game and or times consider honorable matters less than my personal view of what my character’s compunctions are, so if I backstab a few of the worst arseholes in the world, so be it… Until someone my character respects tells him that’s “wrong”, there’s no reason for him not to. Growing up, you’re likely taught not to steal, or attack any innocents, but if the goal is to kill a whoresson, then there’s no reason to know that a specific method is wrong until told otherwise. It’s not like old dad likely said son don’t kill anyone, but if you do definitely don’t stab them in the back.

That being said, my response about killing was merely in regards to the suggestion to stealth kill a bunch of guys for xp.

I just want to be good at scouting, but I can’t do that without choking out, pickpocketing, or lockpicking… That seems a bit poorly designed in my opinion.

You can sneak around camps and gain stealth experience a believe.

Also, you don’t have to kill. You can sneak up on sleeping bandits and knock them unconscious while they are sleeping.

1 Like

Sneaking alone gives no xp. I’ve tried for days. I have about 20 stealth xp now because I’ve started picking locks and not opening the trunks.

Also, every time I’ve tried the knockout on an enemy that I’m right behind, whether they were asleep or awake, they instantly get out.

I uncovered the entire map, hunted all the Cuman/Bandit camps and posted them Here. Go to them and level up your stealth. Not too difficult.

1 Like

That shouldn’t be the case. I’m knocking people out regularly using it.

People suggesting I run to find bandits are clearly missing the point. I’d like to have at least a modicum of experience at being strealthy BEFORE heading off to find bandits. It’s not a hard concept to grasp.

As for the knockouts not working, I have no idea why but it always lets go. I’ve tried clicking the button, holding, etc and it never works no matter which method I try, and in the case of sleeping people (bandits), when I get to them and do knockout, they always slowly stand, get into position, then get grabbed and pop out, which makes no sense all around.

How much noise is your clothing making when you are doing this?

before you develop a solid base of stealth experience your noise makes a huge difference.

Early on I was getting mad because I couldn’t even knockout a sleeping person. I tried stripping down to the base underclothes noise registering at 0 and I had 0 issues from then on.

1 Like

I’ll look into that. I should have been between 12 and 14% due to the things I wear to drop conspic/vis much lower. My pasty skin and white underclothes are problematic so I have either leather or hunting gloves and hunting boots on, plus brown leggings, a brown shirt, a brown waffenfrock, and a black padded coif.

Is sound really what determines success in a choke out??? That seems pretty ridiculous. I just thought my agility character didn’t have enough strength with only 4.