How is armor quality going to be indicated?

How is the quality of a piece of armor or other gear going to be shown? We know that armor and clothes are subject to wear and tear which can be indicated in the name of the armor (rusty/shiny/patched/threadbare).

But how is the production quality going to be reflected? Will it have (lame) generic video game names (Epic/rare/uncommon) or have you guys come up with another somewhat historical accurate way of naming gear? Perhaps something indicating the type of material (wrought iron/steel/heat-treated steel/Toledo steel/heat treated Toledo steel) and the thickness or perhaps a rating (unproved/semi-proof/full-proof) to indicate what kind of missile weapons it stops?

3 Likes

i hope they don’t go with the epic/rare/common model, that only feels appropriate in a game with random rolls on items (usually MMO’s or Diablo-like games). Going off your idea i think showing the armor with multiple fields including type (plate, leather, chain, etc) and material (steel, toledo steel, heated steel, iron, copper, bronze). the copper and bronze are likely to not ever be used except by really poor peoples. as far as what kinds of missiles it can block, that could be part of it’s attributes or description. as an example (not to be accurate to the armor): steel plate will block sling missiles, and arrows fired from a long bow or any lesser bow. This could also be at certain ranges (like at 20m out, but anything point blank could still pierce the armor). This would also depend on the arrowhead type, as some arrows were meant to pierce higher metal armors.

I would really like to see the icon in my inventory degrade a little as my items wear and tear. or have some sort of overlay on top of the icon, like just a red texture that gets brighter/darker as the item wears down. this way at a glance i can see how damaged my stuff is, and then highlighting or selecting the item will give me a breakdown on how much my stats will be effected by that level of wear and tear.

and as much as i love looting and shit, I don’t want to see them throwing in random rolls on items. I’d rather be rewarded with unique items, or get better ingredients and stuff to be able to make my own items. or gain access to better smiths and artisans. after playing Destiny and Diablo there’s a time and place for RNG items/gear, and this game doesn’t feel to me like it should have it.

1 Like

bronze and copper was not used for armour…

If or not an arrow from a longbow can go true plate is a huge matter of debate among academics, reenactors and similar… and it depend on a lot of variables… in the end I think game balance and fun have to be the main factor here.

2 Likes

I believe England had a few copper pot producing centers and a bronze foundry but I don’t recall any armor being made with it.

They did use a copper allow for brazing though.

Actually, copper and bronze are likely to be MORE expensive because of the cost of materials; both are much rarer than iron and that would drive the price up.

Every item including armor, weapons and even food has a STAT which represent QUALITY and STATE - which represents damage, wear or freshness of food. Quality dictates how fast will item get damaged, wear off or food will rot. Every type of clothing or armor has three different kinds of protection against cuts, blunt blows and stabs. These will get lower when armor is damaged.

6 Likes

Great, and have you come up with good names to represent quality besides the video game ones like ‘epic’?

Awesome armor of doom!
Epic helmet of Ctulhu lords!
The glorious sword of vengeance!
:slight_smile:

6 Likes