Hunting mechanism

Indeed that did happen (a mod I do have :smile: ), I think that you’re correct and that this is entirely possible for PC and current gen consoles.

2 Likes

what ai code did you work on. i’m not familiar with this grid system.

Well I guess if it’s not in the full game then it could be modded in. I know at least one modder who is interested in this game, not sure if you’re familiar with Gopher. But he makes some mods for Skyrim and the fallout games, he has a YouTube channel and he covers different mods.

I would love it if you pm’d me when you find out more information from this modder involving Gopher and the typical modding process for Skyrim and Fallout; also if he is excited to mod for a game like this one.

@213, it’s not the “code” of the AI. The system and software that I’ve worked on lets the developer create a grid. So basically imagine a two-dimensional square, you can add a grid that NPC walk in (the grid obviously being made-up of smaller boxes that are logged as variables within the game). The AI is “coded” through this software with this grid. So if a developer designates certain boxes for the NPC to walk in, the AI will create the path and begin walking.

In addition to everyone else’s propositions, I would also like that skinning the animal should be a mini-game. I wouldn’t like the same short cutscene over and over again. And since they consider making blacksmithing a mini-game, why not skinning.

2 Likes

that sounds like those systems used for rts or turn based strategy games. in 3d game engines, there is no grid.

Looking at the game trailer , there’s something to mention : Hunting with the bow , won’t kill the prey instantly. Specially regarding tuff prey like boars or something even bigger.
Realistically you should apporach snaking or waiting steel for a prey , shoot an arrow and than the wild beast should escape injured , at least for couple of tousand of meters. So than by following the blood trail , or his path somehow ( interesting would be to get hounds as hunting mate ) , find the prey dead .
There some interesting videos on the Bow Hunting on youtube to take in consideration , showing something like i have mentioned above.

If the creators strive for historic accuracy, it should be said that hunting big game was a favorite pastime for nobility and forbidden to the common folk in middle ages. Killing a deer or a bear and trying to sell its skin in a village should earn our hero a stiff penalty. Maybe there should be an early quest where our hero receives a hunting permission as a reward from the local ruler.

3 Likes

The grid system is used by Oblivion, which is a 3D-game…
It is not visible, it just allows the AI to go to certain areas of the map/cell while blocking it from others, thereby forcing NPCs to create a path for their movement. I guess this system is already being used, as it is pretty common…

Stop right here. Hunting hounds? Nice one. I was just scrolling through the thread not noticing anything interesting to me, but I like this. :wink: Following a blood trail and/or footprints would be too complicated to make realistic. How much blood does a deer loose when shoot by an arrow? You could make it noticeable in a game if you shoot an artery, but you would not need to follow it for too long then. But hunting with hounds? Imagine taking a group of hunters with spears out in the woods boar hunting. The dogs then follow a trail to find the boar and you kill it after a tough fight. That sounds pretty awesome to me.

Also, I would like the hunting trophy to be memorable and precious. If you risk gallow from the landlord, you stalk your prey for a long time, or wait for it by the river and then you manage to kill it, then I would like it to be worth it. You know, I don’t wanna kill thousands of deers, bears and rabbits which are waiting for me on every square milimeter of the world, just like in AC3. How often do you see a deer in your local wood? Is it as often as in assassin’s creed, or as in skyrim?

Also, as Molik stated before me, hunting big game was something for nobility only. Maybe we could just be a part of the hunting party, not lead it. What do you guys think?

1 Like

Yes, we plan to have hunting system in the game but the exact design of it and its ties to the game economy is yet to be created. No to talk about implementation. We certainly do not want to compete with hunting simulators which is a genre of itself. But it might be a bit deeper than it usualy is in games similar to ours. I gotta say I personaly did not realize how much fun it may be to have a bit more complex hunting system until our backers started asking for it. Since then I designed several versions of the system or its parts and if anything special makes it into the final game we certainly will inform you about the system. Keep the feedback coming! It is quite often very inspiring.

13 Likes

Im totally with you on the subject of Far Cry 3. God, that was stupid…

Love the hunting mini games. I think Red Dead Redemption was one of my favorite systems. The hunting mod for Skyrim came close too. Funny how such things become important in a game where in the whole of things, it’s not all that important.

Hunting simulators can’t quite scratch that itch for me for some reason, but if it’s included in another game, it’s really fun. Something about including trade or quality tiers of the animals you catch makes it so much better than simulators.
Love the hunting mini games. I think Red Dead Redemption was one of my favorite systems. The hunting mod for Skyrim came close too. Funny how such things become important in a game where in the whole of things, it’s not all that important.

Hunting simulators can’t quite scratch that itch for me for some reason, but if it’s included in another game, it’s really fun. Something about including trade or quality tiers of the animals you catch makes it so much better than simulators.

We have a lot… Way more often here because there are no natural predators. Deer here are so numerous that you can see an eating line on the trees and shrubs. Deer do not lift their heads above their shoulders in any way because they have enough food that they do not have to.

Are we going to see the hunting system or at least a part of it in the Alpha Version?

I’m not an hunter but I think that if I hit a deer with an arrow it will simply escape (unless a critical hit to the heart or so…) but if I hit a boar with an arrow the one that have to flee should be me…
As far as I know in medieval time a group of people have to tire the boar before to kill it

I’d also like it if after hunting an animal (or catching a fish) it would give the size, weight, point, type, etc. of the animal to keep track of some hunting stories to brag about. I hope they don’t make all the animals a generic one size, color, breed type, although that’s asking a lot.

3 Likes

I hope it’s not as easy to just find a deer, shoot it with an arrow and it’s dead. I hope that you will have to track them down sometimes, follow the blood trail and finally find the bled-out body in some groove, or you have to shoot another arrow in it again.

2 Likes

Wild animals should be. Wolves, foxes, bears, lynx, etc…

i played a free game awhile ago called the hunter running on the just cause 2 engine if i recall correctly.

very accurate sim of hunting apparently. deer run off if you shoot and hurt them, then you follow their footprints and track them down.

the vegetation is very realistic and thick, so even finding animals was hard. getting close without disturbing them was even harder. in the end, i just went to the towers and used the mating call, then wait for animals to show up.