Interactive World?

Hello everyone, i am new to this forum, i just signed up because i wanted to know that will the world in KCD be interact-able? …for example will you be able to use all the objects in the game? for example if there is a bench will you be able to sit on it? or chair etc…
I love open world games, but the most thing i really hate about GTA for example is that they have a huge beautiful world full of different objects, but you can not mostly interact with them (except inside your apartment). there are benches you can not sit on them, you have cool cars but you can’t even open the trunk to store something there…there are lots of things you can’t do in that game, which kind of makes it boring sometimes. I always wanted a game where every object was useful.

1 Like

Basically, you want all the possible interactions to be in-game just for the sake of it? Don’t you think that makes them quite meaningless? Not to mention, it’s a waste of time and resources for the devs.

They’ve already got a lot on their plate.

Well, allowing more simple interactions with the world would be pointless for the game-play, but improve players connection to the world. Even though that AI should allow interesting interactions with NPCs, the actual world feels a little bit static.

The thing is that giving that power to the player could break the game at times. For example, possibility to move an object could mess with NPCs pathfinding. And what happens if you block a door with a chair? …

Well, back to the actorno’s question :wink:

I’m afraid you will not get what you are interested in. KCD is open world RPG, yes. There is a lot of objects, yes. But if all stays as it is now, you won’t be able to interact with a lot of them. For example there is rotten apple on the path in Talmberg. You can’t pick it up and throw it away. There are benches you cannot use, but mostly if there is one static like, you will most likely find another one that you can use to sit down, read a book or take a nap.
However if you will go to someone’s pantry, all food you will see there is there only for you to steal. You will also find tools to take and many more objects you can interact with.

For me, it’s awesome game and I love most that story driven part with combat, so full interactivity is not that important imho. In the world of KCD there is a lot of objects you can interact but also a lot of objects that you cannot interact with. My guess it’s like 40:60. But that doesn’t take away the feeling from the game.

I agree. It’s mostly not worth it. What matters is that the core gameplay features are in-depth. But still… I would care less In any other game, but here I am a little ‘disappointed’ when for example I cannot interact with some doors etc… I would like every building to be enterable in KC. Even if locked and empty. Little things like that just ensure my immersion, that’s all.

Skyrim has interaction. I do not think is a bad game

1 Like

I was kinda surprised that the player will not be able to pick up or move around most clutter items. I know that with the way AI is done in KCD it is not a good idea to make it happen, but still I got so used to the idea of fully interactable items coming from other RPGs. It’s a part of the magic TES games have for me, even though they’re lacking in other aspects.

I’d say let the devs do it their way and see what comes out of it. Hopefully the advanced AI and combat system will make up for a little lack of playful interactivity. One thing I hope not to see much of in the final game are visible AND unlootable weapons/clothing/torches, that always strikes me as breaking the flow of the gameplay.

in the future they are, far as i know, intending to implement crafting and these random things lying around may be able to be broken up to make other things.

I think that some interaction should be implemented not only just for a sake of itself, but also for increased realism. For instance, in the real world, considering the adventure/travel-like lifestyle that the game presents, I could have been able to sleep in a whole more places than I can now in KCD. Also, eating and drinking can be extended (e. g. you can see everybody taking porridge from the pot in the camp, but you can’t get any).

After all, there are a hell of benches in the beta, but I haven’t found a place where I could use them to seat (maybe something is wrong with my game?).

The present state of the game, while the game is absolutely fantastic, still reminds me old RPGs like Daggerfall, where you could basically complete the quests and fight, but nothing else. Having more immersion stuff could improve the game feeling and interest and increase the audience.

You can sit on the indoor benches without tables. Once sitting you have options to read (but no texts) or to sleep.

Most are considered “owned” though, so being caught on one is probably not ideal.

exactly this is what i mean…developers work so hard to create objects and all that and then you can’t interact with them even though they are in the game, all the hard work wasted.

1 Like

okay my friend. in my opinion its not wasting any resources, because they are gonna make the objects like benches and tables anyway…they will appear all over the game world but you just can’t do anything with them, that’s all. i am not asking them to implement Fallout 4 Or The Sims like interactivity…that is way too much work, i am just asking them to give little more freedom to the player, in real life you can sit on any bench you see (parks for example ) and if you really want you can sleep anywhere, like you can sleep on grass if you wan’t and don’t care what others say haha :smiley:

1 Like

I agree with your positive intentions, but let’s keep in mind that there are priorities and more important aspects that need to be done in QUALITY (and code quality, readability and maintainability is hard to reach with complex systems as video games :))

Sure, when you’ve got a solid base of gameplay mechanics programmed, no bugs or performance drains, you can move on to add in more loops into the world, reworking all the objects with attributes that allow the engine to inspect those objs as 'interactable".

Don’t forget making objects interactive isn’t programmers’ task only. It takes anims, sounds, modelers, etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like