Interesting review of Polygon's "review" of The Witcher 3

Adrian Chmielarz, creative director at The Astronauts (the team behind The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, those, who made that really impressive looking game) has written a pretty good article on the review of The Witcher 3 in Polygon. I won’t link the review here - it would just generate hits and that’s probably what they wanted with that article. ><((((*>

Although, I’m not convinced it’s pure trolling… anyways.

The article points out exactly what is wrong with such “journalism” - and why it in the end discredits the cause it claims to take up the cudgels for. Enough words, read it here:

Here is a link to the archived polygon review. You won’t give them click.

Well the writer in Polygon do have a point about the sexualization of women.
My problem is not the violence against women… since that is fitting to the setting, just like it is in Game of Thrones.
But Even Game of Thrones (despite all the nudity) do let the female warriors like Brienne and Yara wear armour that make some sense and would offer real protection in a real fight.

Unlike in the Witcher… where the female warriors typically wear armour that would not make any sense in real life.

I can see some of their points but overall it feels like a reviewer criticizing formula one for bad fuel economy.

And whats wrong with Frank?

So just another person who claims that (down in the very basics) taking any possible serious issue a doing just about anything else about it than openly 1) criticize it 2) whip it 3) lynch it 4) beat it to the pulp (make your pick) is essentially wrong.

Because according to the sort of people such as this guy from Polygon, apparently the general public of human kind is incapable of recognising any bad stuff as bad, is endangered by encountering it in any form and needs to keep on being guided ideologically about every most basic issue like little children. Just in case.
Because the society that is actively exploring its solar system and maintains communication via a world wide web is apparently essentially weak-minded in its every unit (aside from the concerned activist).
“Game shows being bad to women! Being bad to women good!”-kind of weak minded…

Are we really? Or did I get it wrong? Again? :slight_smile:

Do you guys remember when this game supposedly caused a two guys to gun down their classmates.

http://slngamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Doom-Enemies.jpg

The more things change the more they stay the same.

1 Like

the amount of cleavage is now a criteria for how good a game is. truly astonishing. that guy gies is absolutely worthless.

Unlike in the Witcher… where the female warriors typically wear armour that would not make any sense in real life.

That could be because The Witcher is a game and not real life.

So yes, women are sexualized. Which is funnily how biology works. When I think of women as friends, I think of them as friends. When I think of women as coworkers, I think of them as coworkers. However, when I think of women as women (and being different from me) I think of them as objects to mate with. Of course this is sexualised. It’s biology, we aren’t the same.

And being “sexualised” - I think there is a valid point about Geralt being sexualised, too - but no one complaining about it. Which is more or less the point of why I dislike the way that issue is discussed right now.

Have you played the game? The review is nonsense and the misogyny/sexism accusation is bullshit. Regarding the sexualization/objectification of women. After 15 hours of playing I saw - naked Geralt twice. Once he had a scorpion crawling into his butt. Just imagine what would happen if that happened with a female character. I saw a back of a naked lady and one naked breast. The character which was naked and is referred in the review as the one with large cleavage is a nymphomaniac, who tries to seduce Geralt, so it makes perfect sense that she uses sexy clothing. Regarding the approval of sexual violence mentioned in the review and is the most despicable part of it - its very sad story. Even the aggressor feels guilty and the whole point of this is to find and help the women who were assaulted and save the soul of the miscarried child. You can investigate this and hear perspective of everyone involved. Its sad, but very human and well written. So saying that: “In another, a character who admitted to beating his wife so badly she miscarried is given an opportunity to explain why she had it coming, complete with a sympathetic conversation response option to go with it. The performances all around in this scene are excellent, the presentation among the best, most reined in anywhere in the game, but the message I saw it conveying was abhorrent.” is stupid.
Women play much bigger role in Witcher than any other game I played lately. They are strong, their characters are very well written and they dont wear sexist shitty armors showing most of their bodies. The whole article is just click bait. Made up, intentional lie to create a controversy where there is none.

9 Likes

What the hell is that article? I literally can’t even right now. When I saw that 1/2 of the review is about how oppressively misogynist the game is I thought OK - it’s just another Polygon article, nothing special. But that last paragraph made me suspect if the article is actually being serious? I mean seriously:

Also, while I did not by any means see every city, burg and outpost in
The Witcher 3’s
world in my 70+ hours spent within it, I don’t recall a single
non-white humanoid anywhere — not in Skellige, Novograd, Oxenfurt
or anywhere else. Once I realized this I couldn’t stop looking for any
example of a person of color anywhere, and I never found it, unless
you count naked monster women sitting at the feet of a boss like a slightly
more awkward tribute to a Frank Frazetta painting. But maybe they’re
in there, somewhere.

I wonder if only white people write these kind of articles.
I must wonder, being black person would I really carve to have a black character in the game? Well I guess it would made me happy but would I be deeply hurt by not having one?

Also as womens go I think that Witcher is perfectly all right.
Did anyone played Tera rising? That is the real shit, but I guess, because it is made by asian company, it does not matter becasue all asians are just pervs, aren’t they?

2 Likes

I agree that most of the text is bs.
Violence against women is fitting to the setting. just like the lack of “none whites” is.

Now if you reread my post, the ONLY thing Iam saying is that I do have a problem with the way the female warriors are dressed… and more important how their armor is designed.

Now to answer your question. Because of exams I only played is a bit at a friends house yesterday… so my commend was admittedly based more on the first two games… (where the female warriors do wear idiotic armour) and the promotional stuff that have given me no reason to think they changed the hole design philosophy in this area…

But if they actually totally change that from the Witcher 2 to number 3 then great…

what’s the problem? i guess the pauldron’s a little loose, maybe it was tailored for a man?

to be honest it’s a fantasy setting. while there are realistic, historically sourced pieces here and there to add immersion and flavor, the armor is overall not meant to be completely practical. just look at the kind of shite the player can wear in that game.

3 Likes

I do agree that woman armor in Witcher is less realistic than man’s is.

But the reason for that is not overly sexualization of a woman but sexualisation of both women and men. Simply because women would not look sexy in an armor and men would look all weird and gay withot it (notihng agains gays).

Additionally, gaming population is mostly male and games must be selled thats a fact and we have to dela with it.

Personaly I would prefer more realistic wear on females, but still I think that Witcher is not as bad in this as other games. I am quite satisfied,

Agreed! Compared to many (most?) other RPG’s, Witcher is doing a decent job at keeping its armor and clothing design rooted in real history - where with most games it might be about 40-50 %, Witcher might be… say, 75? 80?
It’s not 100 and, well, surprise! It’s a fantasy setting!

There’s really no point arguing about how authentic the armor in Witcher 3 is, both the female and the male armor. Look just at the apparel that Geralt is wearing on most of the promo shots. The one you start with. That badass leather armor with layers of set-in chainmail.
It does feature medieval-authentic materials, but that’s really as far as the “medieval” goes here. Otherwise it looks just like a contemporary fancy take on a medieval armor. A modern-day spec-ops armor meets its medieval counterpart.
If you go and and take a look at more of the armors featured in the Witcher, it’s apparent that despite the above-average attempt to go authentic the designers in CDPR still also put a huge emphasis on fashionability and cool looks.

Personally, I’m not too thrilled about that, since Witchers (and Geralt in particular) were originally always depicted as relatively poor wandering swordsmen that just manage to make ends meet and dress practically rather than fashionably. In the games (and in W3 especially) Geralt keeps on being dressed more and more like royalty.

But of course, the pragmatic game design reasons are obvious. The game has to sell and to sell it has to attract even people who would not buy it normally. So we have to count modern day hipsters and dandies in too… I guess.

As I wrote above, the comment was more about the series in general and not W3…

If they actually changed the designstyle in thenew game then great.

ironically, that armor style is real
http://fabri-armorum.com/english/foto-big/fullplate7.jpg

Using a period painting or an original suit… and not something made for reenactment would be better evidense
:wink: But I do know the style… and it is a lot easier to find.

So this one is as IAm sure you know from a movie…

Difference is, she is wearing maile under it…

And the game character is missing a part… covering the upper part of the body,

And as Iam sure you kow the game got cases that is much worse.

The armour it self is not the problem, but the fact that she have it and the shirt under it open all the time.

Armour used be women should really not be that different that what is used by males.

this is brutal.
My common logic is tingling.

i don’t think it’s logic the cleavage critics have a problem with. i think it’s more to do with ideology. but to me, it’s really more about projection.

see, wearing revealing clothing isn’t sexualizing. if that were the case, everyone at the beach is sexualizing themselves. you may ask, why are the men at the beach not wearing banana hammocks so they could be more equal to their female counterparts? i think it’s clear those ideas do not occur to people who are just trying to enjoy themselves, and that those differences in designs are there because that’s what consumers want. ie what the majority of beach goers want.

same thing here. i think the motive behind those designs are rather innocuous. they’re the same design philosophy that goes into many of the male costumes in the game, they serve to underscore the essence of the character. bare chest on a female often means the same as bare chest on a man. this person is unconstrained, they are bold, etc.

1 Like