Inventory - Realism Question

This has been troubling me for awhile. How will the inventory be implemented? Here are a the things that are troubling me:

1. Will the inventory be weight controlled system like in Skyrim (no more than X kg for example)?
  2. Will we see the items on our back when stored in the inventory?
  3. Will we have a backpack to carry more items?
  4. Will our speed be affected by our inventory size/weight?
  5. If we have to get items off our inventory where will we be able to store them? Or will we have to sell them?
  6. Will we have items like keys with 0kg weight? Cause in skyrim I had ~100 keys and ~1000 arrows :laughing:
  7. Will we have the option to drop our backpack temporarily if for example we need to fight a thief?
  8. Will horses play any part in item storing? They could be the solution for the inventory!

If anyone can shade some light on these things I’d appreciate it :smile:

3 Likes

5 & 8: Horse invetory was confirmed
6: Every item has some wight.

I cannot answer other questions. I think this old blog post might tell you more: OVERKILL DESIGN
Basicaly they have deeper, strictly realistic approach with some necessary gamplay/fun compromises.

1 Like

Cool blog post, I really like the Vavra’s mindset, he knows he’s got a lot on his table, but doesn’t give up!

Thank you for the link. This made my fucking day!

Brr, it’s cold! How could I have been so stupid and not put on
pantyhose! Now, I’m going to get a urinary tract infection and that’s
worse than taking an arrow in the knee…

Not catching cold for inadequate clothing / getting sunstroke in too heavy armor standing on the sun is a bummer though :frowning:

Because I wouldn’t like to end up like the old classic Robinson’s
Requiem for the Amiga – a simulator of a castaway on an unknown planet,
which took it so far that if you dressed badly, you caught a cold and
when you caught a cold… I don’t know what happened beyond that, because
it could not be played.

Sunstroke is the main issue riot police faces in todays world and I very much doubt it was any different if a heavily armored person stayed on sun for too long 600 years ago.

Yes, it´s in the alpha.

You can sell them, and in the alpha you can drop them everywhere(and pick up again) or put it into a chest.

I would like there to be a back pack or something like that so it explains where you store your things. I also think it would be cool if the larger items like a sword or bow thats in your inventory is hanging on your back pack or its visible.

2 Likes

I’d like to have larger items visible on the player, but with most games the tradeoff is clipping issues with some armor/clothing and/or clipping during some animations. A backpack would definitely be a nice item to have - maybe one could even craft it?

Also money pouches are confirmed already. :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think that Henry would be able to craft it. He’s not a sewer, he’s a son of a blacksmith, so probably if that backpack exists it should be made by someone who’s realistically capable of creating such item.

3 Likes

Maybe even Henry could craft something like this with his stumbly blacksmith fingers. He can learn things right? :smile:

Edit: Or a more historically accurate one: (from Spiezer Schilling, 1480s)

2 Likes

That’s…actually not too bad. It looks uncomfortable, but it’d work.

Assuming third person view is not an option, backpacks should be implemented. Especially for those who don’t ride the horse very often ( like me ). As @SirWarriant said, it has to be explained where all the stuff is stored.

Btw: The third guy shown in the drawing is somewhat interesting. His profession is chicken porter. I’d like to see him and a few colleagues running around in the game. Sure, there’s no good reason for that :wink:

3 Likes

A modern variant would be from Nepal and look like this: :smile:

1 Like

I can’t imagine fighting with one of those on my back how will that work?

you would drop it obviously.

1 Like

Reading this blog makes me unhealthy hyped up about it.
Though it was written few years back so who knows what we will see.

Also what we and devs have to have in minds is that this game should not be made purely for hardcore roleplaying gamers.
So realism is nice until it often forces you to things you dont enjoy or into boring rutines. Inventory is not that case probably, but just a reminder.

Still it would be better for the game if it fell on the same lavel as other stupid RPGs than ended up as medieval simulator that would be too much complicated for normal player.
Because even though falling into the mud of unperfect games would mean that Dan Vávra has failed not as much the community but mostly himself, it could still get some fans and earn money which would offer space for improvement for next Acts/Games.

In other words I do not wish to see the game fail as George of Poděbrady did.
He was a Czech king who tried to create first EU, but he failed because it was too much of a big step and europe was not ready for this.
So better little steps than none.