Is there directional blocking?

To get the enemy’s attack to be blocked successfully do i need to have my sword in the place where the enemy’s sword will come from? or can i just hit Q anywhere?

1 Like

Its automatic, you’ll block as long as you hold Q. Though it will continuously drain stamina and if you can press Q just before the blow connects you’ll open up for an immediate counter-attack, you’ll see time slow down when it happens.

so i dont need to have my block “pointed at” the enemy’s incoming sword?

1 Like

@Vik (Lead designer) answered similar questions here:

For more context go to [Why no directional blocking?][1]

EDIT: I would also recommend using our super searching feature oriented in the upper right corner (magnifying glass) before making new topics. There is a lot of old ones which cover almost anything.

Anyway I am happy to welcome you here again after so long time.
[1]: Why no directional blocking?

Sort of.

Pressing and holding Q will cause Henry to make the appropriate block based on where your opponent is aiming (for reference, the opponent is the guy you have locked on to). If you just hold the block button, Henry will keep his block in that position even if your opponent changes where he is aiming in his stance. If you aren’t guarding the correct area when your opponent attacks you, you will get hit through your block.

To prevent this, press and hold Q when your opponent changes their stance if you are interested in blocking their next attack against you. If you block the first attack successfully and the other guy continues to swing at you, you don’t have to let go of Q to block everything else, just hold the button down. I do not recommend this though because of the following:

1. You will lose stamina rendering your blocks and counterswings ineffective.
  2. The AI loves the unblockable combos which punish excessive blocking.

I recommend dodging after a successful block if the AI is trying to combo you as reading a follow up swing is easier to do and is a great way to learn the dodge mechanic (the best defense skill in the game right now). Hope this helps.

1 Like

Holding block does not drain your stamina, it slows down your stamina regen.

My bad! Been a while since I played the alpha.