Why no directional blocking?

From what i have seen from videos, while combat people are doing the same reactions, same animations. It is boring as hell. Make it directional blocking, make it hardcore. Make the footwork really important. And if you got slashed by a sword while wearing no armor you bleed, you cannot walk if your opponent cut your leg and you die. And lastly nobody waits when you fight 1v2, you have to deal with those two at the same time. C’mon guys don’t waste such a good game.

I am a Mount and Blade player since its first release. There have been years, but your combat system which makes the half of the game looks so creepy that it should have been a lot more better than MB’s.

Disappointed.

4 Likes

Dude, u’re forgetting its an game, what fun would be if i had my leg cuted and i couldnt walk anymore? also their game mechanics looks ammazing and if more then one people attack at same time this game will be harder than Dark Souls :confused:

1 Like

I agree on the 1v1 only aspect. It needs to have 1v2 or more something that can happen in game, because if Warhorse is trying to go for realistic, 1v1 is pretty limited, especially during an open battlefield.

2 Likes

Dude. You are forgetting that the game’s main motto is its being realistic. If you get a full mail armor then he cannot cut you that easily m’kay?

Stop doing crap for 13 year-old boys.

If you are fighting with 2 people at the same time, one comes and backstabs you. It is not a freaking heroic movie.

3 Likes

short answer: directional blocking isn’t realistic.

long answer can be found in the dozen or so topics on the same subject.

8 Likes

This is a game not a laceration simulator. Yes they want to have realistic combat, but only as far as it remains fun. You know, that thing you see other people having.

8 Likes

And what you have seen is very very early version of the game… noway near all the animations have bin made…
(and they need to be replaced by the motion capture anyway)

3 Likes

Wow. Complaining that the animations are all the same. Seems like you haven’t even listened to what Warhorse have stated over and over again, and you’ve forgotten that the footage is pre-alpha. The animations are just placeholders while the real ones will be with motion capture. Chill out.

Warhorse wants to make a game that is realistic yes, but it is still a game and should be enjoyable. If the game made you lose your leg and make you unable to walk, most people wouldn’t keep playing but instead reload an earlier save because that would take away the thing a game is meant to be, being fun to play. Just because it’s 100% realistic doesn’t make it fun. There needs to be a balance.

14 Likes

Indeed, it wouldn’t be prudent to implement PC mutilations in-game (maybe in some extra-nightmarish-hardcore mode), but a injury system like from Fallout (only with more severe consequences that just some loss in speed) would be an excellent addition. Plus, they should also make sure to implement first aid in the game, so please no magic potions that instantly heal of make you go berserk or something.

1 Like

Really?

You guys need to read or watch all the warhorse stuff before posting anything more. :angry: Ignorance. :angry:

4 Likes

I support a directional combat system like the one in War of the Roses. But I still think the game is going to be fun without directional combat, but I always thought they were going to use a system that directed your attack in a specific direction, so why shouldn’t blocking be directional as well?

6 Likes

I have watched the combat update (amoung others) and the livestream as well as read multiple interviews. So I think I know what I’m saying, but if you think I’m missing something, post a link, include a quote, don’t just call us ignorant and offer no way to improve our knowledge.

1 Like

A limb system like in fallout would be cool yes which you can heal with resting/first aid/use ointments and such. I don’t think that you should be crippled and unable to walk if you were stabbed in the leg though, like OP suggests, as that would kinda kill the fun for a lot of people I think.

As there is no magic in KCD i doubt that there will be magic potions that make you go berserk and such as they are focused on realism. I think that most potions/ointmens you make with alchemy will be more like out of combat healing or long term effects, maybe a potion that stimulates your adrenaline production for a period which makes you regen stamina faster or something.

1 Like

There should be directional blocking and attacks… If not then the combat system will require little skills and will be un-fun to play… Mount and Blade: Warbands fighting system a good fighting system. Only problem with that is the combat is too fast and awkward. Just find a balance between that.

4 Likes

The combat mechanics was not finnished more to come.

Pretty sure that directional blocking will be able to be performed. If I recall correctly (it was in one of the video updates) a perfectly timed and executed block in the direction of an opponents attack, will result in a counter attack opportunity.

Anyone want to talk to that a bit further?

1 Like

Dan said:
“Can I just ask you where you heard/read/saw that its locked? Because its not. Quite an opposite. You can fight with as many opponents as you want to. You will die trying, but you can.”

4 Likes

I think they only said that a perfectly timed block with the right key (in the video on their xbox controller it was the upper right button i believe) and you get a chance to counter attack. I don’t think it was directional.

3 Likes

Yeah, the old story. Stated only multiple times throughout the forum.

1 Like

Directional blocking has been well argued over in other threads on the forum, and the overall conclusion is that it is not realistic nor very good mechanics- or gameplay-wise. I like Mount & Blade too, but realize that the melee-system has some flaws here’n’there.

Have you tried the combat-system in Chivaly: Medieval Warfare?
They have 1 dedicated block that is activated by pushing a button, but can’t be held (unless you have a shield, making shield a great advantage). If you block just on time the attack is parried and you have an opening to counterattack. Too early and it is ineffective or only standard block (opening you up to a follow-up attack), too late and your head gets ventilated by a blade.
Much more fun and challenging than the flailing and frustration of M&B block, while also being slightly more realistic.

There are some parts of the combat mechanics in Chivalry that makes for some silly attackmoves, but it is still quite fun.

3 Likes