Magic in middleages

Ok there is no MAgic ala Tolkien or Dungeons and Dragons but what about the Medieval magic superstitions?
Will there be witches and sorcerers as where intended in the middle ages? Saints and healers , Alchemists and Relics , Spells and Rituals ?

2 Likes

What they called wizardry we call “educated” toady.

2 Likes

Middleages men believed in magic .

witches (herbalists, midwives, …), apothecaries (alchemists), monks - middleages archetypes

I think that they surely will be in the game. It’s a great character material for all sorts of quests.

Now let us burn some “educated” women.

8 Likes

I think it would add to the immersion if the peasants talk about witches, spells and what not because as you say they were quite superstitious. Although I wouldn’t think there will be any actual magic, however the concept of there being people claiming to have magical powers, but actually just “trick” people into thinking they do via alchemy would be very nice!

2 Likes

and then them proceeding to burn you at the stake when the church calls you a blasphemer and a servant of the devil.

An actual form of magic it could be ingame though , This to not spoil the idea of Magic present inthe game .
It coudl be blessing , or dark magic or alchemy potions etc …
PErhaps you won’t have fireballs on the screen , but more subtle forms of magic could be I guess , like summoning storms, callig the winds or whatever else … .Who can say if the mage just knows how to read the signs of the sky and guess if its coming a storm or if he can really summon the spirits to call a storm ?

1 Like

As i was reminded my response have to be t least 20 characters long so I cant just say. “No”.
So now I say: NO!. Even if it is scientificaly explained it would still appear as magic and to that I say another: No

4 Likes

Do you think that MAgic doesn’t exhist even in RL ?
Just look all the Illusionists and magicians around … Sure you can say its based on knowledges and physics , but what proves ? :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Ok I think we are going somewhere we don’t want to go.
So firstly: This game, as is presented, should be without any magic.
Secondly: Game is also presented as realistic, you can not put somthing there just because it might exist. There should be only things that are proved and clearly real.

I do not wish to argue about our beliefs, so lets just go with what most people consider as common nad normal.

1 Like

I personally feel any actual magic no matter if it be shooting fireballs from your behind to making the sky dark. People talking about magic in game would add to immersion, people actually having magical powers will pretty much throw kingdom come into the pool of every other RPG out there. :confused:

5 Likes

I completely agree. Let the main character believe that magic exist. You on the other hand should know that it does not. (in KC at least)

Well if its realistic about Middleages then …
Magic exhisted in that time and was really realistically perceived and feared .

People believed silly things because they were ignorant of the world, not because said silly things actually existed. There is a big difference between believing something to be true, and said something actually being true.

2 Likes

I tend to agree no magic in the game, lets keep it more real, and true to the story that will develop to our changes in game.

1 Like

No magic, please. For that there are plenty other similar games.

1 Like

Please no magic. Don’t want to offend anyone but magic doesn’t exist. I do like the idea of NPCs having superstitions and fears of the magical.

Since apparently quite a few people have these superstitions even today even in the most developed parts of the world, it would be more than realistic to be able to trick people into thinking that the chicken bones you just mashed together with a bit of gravel are in fact magical aphrodisiac or something like that…essentially you should be able to sell snake oil :slight_smile: It would demand some good roleplaying from the players (or very good game design…or both) to make Henry believe in magical powers as well since the player is who controls what he will do (and if it is too restricted by the game, you feel like having no real choice over what the character really does).

2 Likes