Make it DRM free, please

Thank you for making it DRM free.

Wish you the best

Jean :wink:

PS. I wanted to close the thread, but how to do that?

4 Likes
http://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/pc-retail-version-and-drm?source_topic_id=9847

Why do we need to have these DRM free conversations for every single game that is out there. I do not see the reason why every game under the sun should be DRM free. Are you really expecting them to give copies of their game away?

1 Like

There is something called ā€œsearch functionā€, you knowā€¦

Somebody please close this thread.

3 Likes

Welcome to the internet where people press the post button and type away while looking at the keyboard then realise that there are 6 or 7 posts on the front page of the forum on the same subject!

Yeah I wish people would use one of their brain cells before posting. This forum actually suggests similar threads based on your proposed title for the thread which is really cool and people still post multiple threads on the same topic anyway!

3 Likes

In case there are readers who do not know what Digital Restriction Management (DRM) is, http://drm.info/

There are DRMs (starforce, assassins creed 2) and DRMs (steamworks, gothic 3). KCD will be in second cathegory at worst so after this quote[quote=ā€œCerberus, post:2, topic:9847, full:trueā€]
http://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/pc-retail-version-and-drm?source_topic_id=9847
[/quote] thereā€™s no point in discusing this topic.

Disc copy protection is no DRMā€¦

Iā€™m perfectly happy with Steam.

Itā€™s a good service and developers need to protect their products against piracy.

[quote=ā€œRGS, post:9, topic:9847, full:trueā€]protect their products against piracy.
[/quote]
Itā€™s impossible.
Things created by man can be destroyed by man.

i will be happy to see this game on steam

1 Like

Yes but generally things destroyed by man in this fashion are usually against any law present at the time. Would you put your car in the drive with the keys in the ignition and leave the door open with a sign in the window saying free?

Protecting your property may be difficult but there is no sense in making it easy for them to take it is there?

Are you suggesting that pirates would steal a car given the opportunity? I beg to differ. I wouldnā€™t steal a car, but Iā€™d download one if I could. Piracy isnā€™t stealing since nothing is lost and thereā€™s no way of knowing if said pirate would ever buy the product to begin with. Statistically piracy actually improves sales. Besides this isnā€™t about piracy per-say its about DRM, and DRM does nothing to stop pirates, it does however cause problems for people that legitimately purchased games.

3 Likes

While we are on the topic of ā€œDRM-freedomā€. Do you guys think it would be possible to see this game on GOG.com?
Being known as a popular place for DRM-free game sales.

ā€œPiracyā€ is not just about downloading something without paying for it. Its entire origin is based on taking something thatā€™s not yours, leaving somebody else without - whether itā€™s a physical item or a payment for something else. It bugs me when people act like ā€œpiracyā€ is now only about digital stuff and attempt to justify why they shouldnā€™t have to pay for a song, game or whatever else they believe theyā€™re entitled to for nothing.

I donā€™t think games necessarily need to have DRM to protect them, though. It would be very easy to just do something like a key code to unlock the game. Even those can be abused if theyā€™re not single-use only and you canā€™t prove you already bought the game and just want to transfer it to a new computer, but I think itā€™s unreasonable for people to expect a creator of a game to simply sell it with no self-protection at all.

1 Like

The thing about single use key codes is that you need some way to check if it actually is in use or not (internet connection).
Meaning you probably wonā€™t be able to play the game without a connection. Sure it may not be a constant connection COUGHUBISOFTCOUGHEACOUGH Pardon meā€¦ But Itā€™s still a limitation.

Granted, I donā€™t play many games on a PC but I canā€™t recall ever having an issue where I unlocked my game with a code and had to continue proving I was using it by being connected. Once I validated it, that was that. This is probably because almost every game Iā€™ve bought for a number of years now is on a console. I know there have been some cases where connections have been required there.

Iā€™ve had the luxury of a constant connection for years anyway, though. If that changed? Of course Iā€™d want to be able to play games offline that have no need to connect to a server for some reason. If a game like KC-D has no particular online element, nothing you need to connect to, there should be no reason people canā€™t play it entirely offline once validating it - if there is a validation step.

As for DRM, itā€™s unrealistic to expect nobody to try circumventing various practices meant to limit illegal copying of digital games, media, etc. People who are in it for that have done and will continue to do what they do with or without DRM. That said, I know there are issues with DRM affecting people trying to legitimately do valid things with something theyā€™ve rightfully paid for.

I fall on the side of believing companies should be able to do what they can to limit illegal use of their intellectual property, but I also believe they have a duty to do so in a reasonable way when someoneā€™s paid for something. I know thatā€™s not always the way it goes to say the least, but I donā€™t buy into the mentality that piracy is okay because it may improve sales in some way or ā€œwell, the company deserves it because theyā€™re jerksā€ or something like that.

For the portion of people that have no interest in actually paying for something in the first place, thereā€™s not much that will change them. That doesnā€™t make it all right just because somebody else may end up buying something that had a basis in piracy first . People can still rent games, try demos in many cases, use services like Spotify for music and so on to help them decide if the thing theyā€™re interested in is worth buying or not.

Oh well, keep the topics comminā€™ I suppose, the sheer amount of interest might just tip Warhorse to release a DRM-free version as well at some point down the line :stuck_out_tongue: As of now tho, they said ā€˜Steamā€™

Piracy is inescapable without forcing people through countless checks and making starting the game hell on earth. I just hope people will respect the game it is and feel the need to support the developers.

2 Likes

Sure it will be on steam butā€¦ Doesnā€™t have to be there exclusively :smiley: Steam has a very very light DRM system that usually doesnā€™t bother anyone but I would still, any day choose to buy it from GOG where my copy is completely DRM-free
Weā€™ve also seen games such as The Witcher series, FTL, Alan Wake, Botanicula, Hotline Miami, Divinity series, Fez, Rise of the Triad and so many more great titles, which can also be bought from steam. Having two places to sell a game does not sound like a bad idea to me.
It certainly would gain some more attention. Good for marketing.