Mods in KCD

When do mods begin and is it going to be through nexus?

1 Like

It’s already up!

2 Likes

Awesome man, thank you.

Keep in mind any mods you find on Nexus now are basic mods. Until the developers release the modding tools, you won’t see anything extravagant.

good to know. thanks.

Yeah, I rather wait for the good mods to be released. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the game vanilla and do a couple of playthroughs with different play styles.

In the latest interview, Daniel discussed the release of the modding tools, and things sounded a bit uncertain. He said they hadn’t really looked into the details before release, that they would need to negotiate with Crytek, and couldn’t promise anything.

I found this a bit disappointing, as the modding tools were discussed in the Kickstarter, and were one of my main reasons for being interested.

This is what was originally said:

“We are developing our own proprietary RPG-MAKING TOOLS for easy development of this and any future content, including custom support for game design, animations, branching dialogue, clothing definitions, etc. We plan to release these tools to the modding community.”

Whatever implications arise from being derived from Cryengine would have been the case back then, too. Why are things sounding more doubtful now?

1 Like

From what I’ve heard and read, the disposition of Warhorse Studios to modding is great (they really know how that improves a sandbox, the Creativity, the Community, the 0day fixes and improvements)…
For a probe, see NexusMods, there are 3 interesting mods:

• “Unlimited Savings” => regarding saveGames limitations
  • “Easy Lockpicking” => less difficult locks
  • “How Dot Reticle” => a dot to aim better with bows

The game was released two days ago, so that probes modding is useful (PC vantage over consoles) to fix and adjust and custom things.

So Modding on KCD :3 ?

• Now, recent words directly from Warhorse Studios, comment the “ball” is now on Crytek roof :3 and CryEngine licensing, I hope real SDK and tools with documentation and mod support emerges and arrives in some weeks or months, because that would be awesome to this game, even for Crytek reputation (they need that), Deliverance could become a series as “Elder Scrolls”, with different centuries and cultures, regions (for that community and modding impulse is essential) I really want Warhorse Studios succeed in this, because we need more studios like this (I love Talewords, Mount and Blade for example.)

• I will pay for DLCs like expansions with dozens of hours of content and gameplay, gladly, and modding is one of the reasons I buy this game ^^

• So at least for now, they need some Crytek permissions, but I think some kind of packaging or ModKitchen (ModKit) like CdProjekt has with Witcher 3 would be possible (maybe not as powerful as Bethesda CreationKit (CreationEngine) but powerful enough for scripting and textures, models and meshes.

3 Likes

I really hope they come through with support for modding. The issues I have with the game, I’m certain will not be fixed by them anytime soon, and it would be much easier to let the community implement them via mods.
For example, the main issues I have are (all deal with immersion, really):

Hunting is a joke. Animals have near non existant AI. In a game pushing immersion, well, I feel I have a right to complain. I’d be more than happy to add new AI behaviors and even a new system myself so hunting can feel more rewarding and, well, immersive. As of now, you can just walk in the forest, kill all the brain-dead animals, cook their meat and cash it all in. No fun in shooting rabbits and dear that do not startle.

The criminal system is also terrible. It suffers from the old “Oblivion Psychic Guard” syndrome. Being a thief is very unrewarding with this, and so again, I’d be more than happy to use their modding API to change the AI behaviors so crime is only reported once a NPC witnesses the crime rather than when a player simply commits a crime, and the game reports it.

There are a few more, but I think I made my point. I bought into the game because of the hard push for an immersive sim, and I can deal with bugs, but I cannot deal with shallow systems that barely attempt to simulate real life. Again. Immersion is king here I think. I love the game so far, and I’d be really let down if it ends like this, sadly.

Anyways, finger’s crossed they really come though with mod support. I would dive in head first.

2 Likes

Yes, and I’m still hopeful the will deliver what they promised, which sounded a lot closer to a creation kit than to CDPR’s very limited tools.

The way I look at it, though, I doubt very much that Crytek would actually refuse to let them… but they might want a deal for some more money. If that’s the case, I hope Warhorse won’t make a cynical decision to avoid the cost, and not deliver the kind of modding they told us about.

1 Like

It’d be a PR nightmare for either company.
WH: "Crytek wanted money for mod support"
Everyone and prospective future devs: “Screw that engine”

Crytek: "We wanted 2 dollars come on"
Everyone: “Screw WH”

I looked in their .pak files and I am pretty certain they are using out of engine tools to generate some of those game data files. I hope they at least release that.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve also had a look at the paks. Without some custom tools, modders are going to be hard up, and I don’t think we’ll see much that’s very exciting.

I think it would be a huge missed opportunity to not release the proper kit, and make KCD a serious platform for modders.

1 Like

My guess is that are going to use KCD as a stepping stone. They will either accept an acquisition (if they are willing to have bosses and be politically correct) or they will (should) do an ICO and expand their current team and develop on their own terms, with enough money to license the necessary tech an open up to proper modding.

This is like Mercedes-AMG being asked to open up their ECU for modding. Not a simple scenario.

It would be better and would save a lot, for example, trouble with the community.
I bought and supported the game alone for the fact,
that it uses the CryEngine, which is actually one of many that you can modify easily. The editors had always offered an incredible freedom of design

And now i am worried

Yeah, for a proper modding scene, we’d need to be able to edit landscapes, create quest logic and dialogs, etc. That’s what I expect from their original description of what they would release to the community.

If we just get a bare minimum, like Witcher 3, we’ll see a similarly shallow modding scene - no new content, just tinkering around with tables and textures.

That is a very valid point. However, I think it all hinges on if the team designed their game to be mod friendly. If the AI/Quest flow logic/Minigames is coded all in C++, with LUA scripts (the scripting language I think they are using), then all those systems would be very hard to mod.
W3 uses their own scripting language, and combat AI, damage calculations, NPC logic is all controlled in that area, so modding it is very possible.
The same for Skyrim and their Papyrus scripts, although the AI is a bit harder to customize as a lot of it is behind the engine, the low level parts.

I’m hopeful, but it is a bit disappointing this late in the game, and the best official response I’ve heard on here is the community manager saying something like “It’s too early we don’t know anything about how modding will work”.

This makes me believe he simply is not informed of the plans for modding, or they truly have not thought about modding up until this point, in which case that is really worrisome

Yes, that’s my worry, too.

Also, I would hope that given their description of the modding tools to be shared with the community, they have designed the architecture with forethought of that requirement. If they haven’t, hopes for rich modding are indeed pretty slim.

Theoretically, the base CryEngine SDK could be used to create and compile assets, provided they’re in the same format. Armor, weapons, etc. would be possible but storylines, quests, and maps, probably not. It does look like there are some proprietary tools used for the tables and scripts which could be edited manually (a very long process).

There’s probably a whole mess of financial and legal concerns releasing a modified CryEngine SDK. If that’s off the table, the best we can hope for is heavy documentation (how to do X, Y, Z within CryEngine) with proprietary tools to fill in the gaps (e.g. table editor)

1 Like

I hope it is not up to Crytek. With all their money problems I would think they are going to try and gouge warhorse for an extravagant amount. I know that releasing mod tools was in the GLA between Crytek and the developers of Star Citizen based on the GLA that was presented to evidence as part of their defense.

If we are waiting on Crytek to give permission for mod tools to be released I fear we will be disappointed.