Not a fan of the combat

You cannot be serious.

Take two children, give one a ruler and the second one a broom.
Who do you think will win?

1 Like

Why you mention my name? I never objected that the basic concepts are simple or that they can be quickly taught. Perhaps because I said that melee combat required a lot of physical training? Well, it did. It’s not “hard” to teach, but it does take time to condition yourself properly.

Dead serious. I’m not talking out my ass, here, I’m talking from experience.

Mom when she comes in to paddle their asses.

Let’s agree on the fact that I don’t agree with you.

It’s not the amount of people I was actually referring to, it’s the amount of combined strength and skills. But sure, I’m very interested to see this.

@mackwab

It is so hard to say, because I really like the game, and I really like the whole idea and the developer team. And every time someone criticise something, he gets flamed all the way. But to be honest I dont like combat either. It look great, but it seem to me like a timing minigame with beautiful animations.

When the team announced what the idea of combat is, I was thrilled! They said it will be working with a physics a lot. I imagine something as good and funny like hitting people with some garbage using a gravity gun in Half Life 2. That really is physics-based fighting, that is never scripted and every fight is different because of that. I have a post about blocking and it is related to this post, so check it out if you want:

I guess I would prefer little bit glitchy but really physics driven ragdoll fighting over this.

1 Like

complain about it not being fun or to hard or a minigame is fine…

Complain that it is not historical and you turn it into a debate about historical fighting… and then you need to back op you opinions. And when you write something that is simply not correct, then you get flamed.

1 Like

Yesss… Flamed… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But honestly. With the combat trying to be realistic, it is as close to real historical sword-fighting as they can make it. To some, it might come as a disappointment to learn that sword-fighting in real life is not as swing-y or hack-y as it is portrayed in most movies and video games. It’s inevitable that people will find it either too hard, or too simple for their tastes, and not enjoy it, but that’s not what is so great about the combat. I enjoy it because it isn’t over the top or exaggerated. Hopefully the devs can find a way to make more people enjoy, but as for me, I’m happy with the money I’ve spent.

Also, seriously, don’t say it isn’t historical. We’ll hunt you down :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

1 Like

I miss dirty tricks and the feeling of haveing the control about how my character is fighting. Things like hitting with the pommel or grabbing the blade to make a thrust much more mortal/ accurate while facing a tincan. I hope they planned to implement such things. Else it is too boring for me because of the lack of variation what you can do in a fight. Also directional blocking is a must-have imo. Without that it was just so damn easy to win against the best fighter in that small arena. I didn’t even use the combos because there was a translation (string) error for that hint-window so it didn’t show me anything but and error code.

For example the polearms…

Don’t you expect polearms in a medieval rpg game?

Cause if you don’t, me and many others do.

Things like pommel smashes and kicks can be done when in a bind. They say they’re planning on implementing half-swording techniques into combat, so that should happen, along with other things. I think everyone needs to remember that this is still the first stable combat build they’ve done with this system, and its pretty dang good so far. Changes can and will happen.

@HolyDeath
I @'d you because you said this

And I just wanted to let you know that I was referring mainly to concepts, not mastery - I didn’t mean it to be anything other than clarification :smile:

2 Likes

I agree with that, I believe it is really very realistic. I am just sad about the possibility that I will avoid combat in the game, because It doesnt please me at all (in terms of fun). The game is revolutionary and great and extremely beautiful, but so far combat is spoiling the rest for me.

Iam also not that entertained by it.
But that might be because of my rather old PC… so got a low fps even on lower settings.

Pole arms have not been “cut”, they are having difficulty implementing it into the system.

The long sword combat alone is 2000 animations its allot of work and they must also create all the algorithms to make it function properly according to the laws of physics.

As far as I am aware (unless someone has heard different) they have not abandoned them.

Also the struggles of imple,ented the as been made known since the Kickstarter campaign.

So pole arms is one feature and I touched base on that what other features have been cut?

Did you watch new video?

There you can learn why is blocking made in a way it is made.

If you are talking about blocking, then yes. But otherwise combat system is all about right timing. And that is again said in the new video.

Having realistic combat system is nearly impossible. But clearly some aspects of KCD combat system are more realistic than M&B or Chivarly. I would even say that everything except blocking and parying is more realistic. And even that might not be true, because once again in the video Viktor says that in real fight blocking/parying is more matter of reflexes than conscious action. So in that kind of sense this system is more realistic, but that’s jsut my opinion.
But another thing is historical accuracy and that is in what KCD exceeds any other game.

I also have my doubts about summer 2016, but you should know that Warhorse has many things done and what you can play in Technical alpha is just a fraction of what is already completed.
So have faith.

3 Likes

“The long sword combat alone is 2000 animations its allot of work and
they must also create all the algorithms to make it function properly
according to the laws of physics.”

That is @warhorse own problem. They could’ve made the engine different, like many other games did. So if they want to have something unique, I congratulate the effort, but I couldn’t accept shortcuts to the point.

There all many promised features as I said, some of which might not be present in Deliverance. And I won’t dig them up - if you wish, search the forum and you will see for yourself.

Yes it is. And they are dealing with it. I don’t see your point.

But this game is about not being like “many others”.

What shortcuts are you talking about? If anything I’d say that shortcuts is one thing Warhorse doesn’t do.
2000 animations are the proof of it.

You are the one who claims that Warhorse has dumped many promised features, so if you are not willing to present them, why should we believe you?

Why have 2000 animations when 20 will do the trick?!

Why make an unique game if it isn’t working out right as expected?!

You will see that there will be missing features once the game is out. You will see.

No matter how hard they try, @warhorse would have many difficulties to deliver all the promises. And this I am sure of, because they try to make a game too complicated, too non-standard in approach. Wish them luck and cross fingers despite being a pessimist.

So please, stop trolling out here. I think that you always wait for me to express my opinion and then just troll it. OK then, but you couldn’t change it nonetheless, so don’t waste your time.

You made a claim and he’s asking you to prove it. That’s not trolling, that’s calling you out on your BS. So answer his damn question: WHAT FEATURES HAVE BEEN DUMPED?

3 Likes

I believed that to have a conversation the opinion of other participants is needed. But of course I can always talk to myself.