Oculus Rift support

@warhorse

Have you already ordered your Oculus Rift devkit? If not you should do so ASAP since Oculus will halt production due to missing materials very soon…

http://www.pcgamesn.com/oculus-temporarily-stop-taking-rift-developer-kit-orders

I’m looking forward to a VR version of Kingdom Come as well. Although I think by the time they implement VR support, the DK2 will be released and/or possibly the customer kit. The DK2 alone will greatly help with reducing motion sickness.

I’m really looking forward to Oculus Rift support as well. The main issues they’d have to account for are UI-related, I’d think, to ensure that accessing inventory and otherwise interacting with the game feels natural while in VR. Some first-person “cinematic” animations of your player body might have to be adjusted too, so as not to cause a disconnect.

I’m for it as long as it doesn’t divert too much time or resources. I’m not owning an Oculus Rift yet, but I plan to grab the consumer version as soon as it is released. If the devs decide to not implement it, the modders will for sure - so nothing is lost.

The motion sickness argument is a silly one because you can stop anytime you want and switch to you monitor. If you are prone to motion sickness the Oculus Rift might be a bad investment for you anyway. Furthermore you can get used to anything if you want to, but if you don’t, nobody forces you. The argument could be as well to not support mice for input, because people who are not used to them complain of hurting wrists and inflamed tendons (don’t skip warm-up fools!).

I don’t think the motion sickness thing should be used to prevent development of Oculus Rift support. Let the users decided whether they want to use the Oculus or not :).

If KC: D ends up being Oculus Rift compatible, then I suppose that they will have independent head movement for people who do not own or play with the Rift. That is simple to implement into the PC elite hamster race because we have many buttons on the keyboard. What about the PS4 and Xbone? I know that the PS4 controller has a good gyroscope in it, I don’t know too much about the Xbone’s controller, but that gyroscope can be used and implemented into the game for independent head movement. For PC elite hamster race, we can just hold the alt key, like in Arma. For the console peasants, the head can be moved independently from the body by holding both shoulder buttons or something while moving/twisting/turning the controller around in real-time space dimension. A fairly decent example of this is in BF4. When you are in some certain vehicles, and you have motion sensor enabled within the settings, you can look around inside the vehicle by physically manipulating your controller while holding a button.

RSI just implemented Oculus Rift support for their Hangar Module of Star Citizen with their newest patch! :smiley:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13600-Hangar-Patch-111-Released

@warhorse
Do you guys have ordered an Oculus Rift devkit now? Perhaps you could ask Chris Roberts and RSI (and/or Crytek if available) to show you a bit of their VR tech implementation… :wink:

Facebook just killed off Oculus Rift VR for good, at least as far as I’m concerned, by acquiring it for USD 2bn. The socialopath with the deep pockets has done it again… Thank you for nothing, Mr. Big Spender! :frowning:

Way to go, Notch! :slight_smile:

Just read about it. That sucks big time.

I reckon Zuckerberg thinks he’s James Halliday and he’s planning to build his own OASIS…

RIP Oculus Rift, I’ll miss you.

Edit: Wait, does it mean that Facebook now owns John Carmack? That sucks double time!

1 Like

I like your reference to Ready Player One :slight_smile:

Nevertheless, I hope that there is still light at the end of the tunnel. What about Sony version Morpheus? Blue or red pill?

If that’s serious, and Razer is making a VR headset, I’d be more interested in theirs than anything from Sony or Facebook.

Well, everything from Razer would be at least double the price than the Oculus Rift…

I didn’t like that deal first as well. But maybe we will all profit in the end. Facebook on board means mass appeal which means more usability and cheaper prices for us consumers. It means that we probably get a consumer version and applications (games, apps, movies, …) faster, better and cheaper.

I think most people overreact because they just don’t like Facebook (not even the company but social media in general). To be honest with this deal VR just finds its way into mainstream. It won’t be any superniche product for a few thousand geeks anymore but a real consumer product like 3D television. What’s wrong with that? Ubisoft for example already stated that they would need 1 million customer of a VR solution to actually make big games for it. With Facebook on board this number just gets way more probable on the long run.

What’s better? A small indie company selling 100,000 devices in three years from now and therefore only few and small products/games to actually use it or a big company with lots of resources and knowledge selling 1,000,000 devices in one year from now and therefore all kinds of small and big products and games to use it? Of course it’s Facebook and Facebook is bad, simple logic. But that’s way too short sighted. At least Facebook has a genuine interest in the tech and not like pure financial investors in making money by selling it. You just need a lot of money to bring a device like that to the masses. A small indie developer like Oculus was never actually capable of doing that on their own. Personally, I guessed that maybe Microsoft would buy them. But maybe they have an own solution in the making or maybe they just missed the chance due to bad and short-sighted management.

My tipp to everyone: let’s just wait what will happen and how the end consumer product will turn out. Let’s wait how many apps, games and movies will be available for the Rift when it will be finally released. Let’s wait how much it will cost. Let’s wait if Facebook is even integreated in the device or not. The Oculus Rift and VR in general still offers a bright future for gaming.

4 Likes

I’m not using products from a company that’s notorious for selling its customers’ private data to anyone willing to pay for it. The Facebook Rift will probably work just fine, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to allow one in my house. Whether or not the product will be good is simply irrelevant - the fact is that facebook has a history of storing and selling users’ data without even letting them know, and I’m not willing to give any of their products a chance.

Razer is a damn good gaming peripheral company, with some of the best products on the market. I’ve moved on to Roccat for my peripherals, so I’m not denying that there are good, more modestly priced alternatives out there (although Razer’s markup isn’t nearly as high as Logitech’s), but I truly want to see what a company with as much gaming hardware experience as Razer would come up with to compete with the Rift. I’d certainly give them a shot before I’d touch anything from Facebook or Sony.

1 Like

How about just making sure that nothing “phones home” while using the Rift? You know, there is stuff like firewalls… :wink:

And yeah, I have some worries about data protection as well. BUT: it’s a hardware device. Do you know that Nvidia doesn’t store or sell your data? No, you don’t and I guess you haven’t even thought about that yet because it’s just not important with hardware. There is no crucial data to use.

About the NSA and stuff: every major internet company in the US worked together with the government. There is no way to not do so if you want to stay in business and act according to laws (no matter how shitty they are). So it’s not all Facebook’s fault. And maybe I should remember you that Google and Apple did the same or even worse things with your data and still most people don’t have any problems with buying and using phones with iOS or Android installed. And you can bet that you can collect way more important personal data than with a purely hardware device like the Rift…

If (and that’s a big if) there will be any requirements to have an active account for using the Rift we can talk about that again. But as it stands now and as Oculus said themselves “people won’t have to have a Facebook account or anything to use the Rift” there is really no real reason to not buy a Rift if you are excited about its tech and its possiblities.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see a cool VR solution made by Razer. But I don’t believe it before I see it. I don’t think that Razer has enough resources to do that on their own and on the same scale. But competition is always a good thing and would only push the prices down and the tech up. :slight_smile:

I do think about privacy with nvidia’s drivers (AFAIK, video hardware can’t access networking without going through the OS, so I’m not worried about the hardware itself). I am tentatively willing to trust them enough to use their binary blob drivers, but am seriously looking forward to the day that noveau or the open source ati drivers are good enough to game on, specifically so I don’t have to worry about it any more. Still, I generally like what nvidia and AMD do, and trust them somewhat (certainly more than I trust Facebook).

To be honest (and I’m only speaking for me, here), I had already written off the Rift as something I wasn’t going to buy because:

A) I hate it when devices get exclusive games (it makes the company seem more like they’re holding games hostage than anything else).

B) The Oculus team used the argument of, “We don’t want to do the work for our competitors,” when they reversed their decision about making the Rift stuff open source (it’s a dumb argument that was used all the time in the dark ages, and I’m sick of supporting companies that use it - including nvidia).

The purchase of Oculus by Facebook, in reality, doesn’t change things for me at all. It came completely out of left field, and I think there are problems that could arise beyond what Oculus has already shown to be somewhat poor technical direction, but I was just really excited by that particular tweet and wanted to share it. That’s … pretty much all.

So I hopped over to see if the people here were heralding the “end of days” as bad as the people over at the Star Citizen Forums…Glad to see we’ve managed to keep it rather calm.

I mean jeez…I know I’m new to the PC gaming world… but some of those guy are pretty crazy sounding (acting like they’ve got government secrets hidden on their gaming PCs that Facebook is actively trying to ferret out and sell to their enemies). They’ve even gone so far as to start demanding CIG do what Notch did and immediately disown the Rift.

Just seems a like bunch of nutters taking a ride on a pack of drama llamas IMHO. I mean… I get not wanting to buy it… but the group freak out they’re having is a bit melodramatic.

I don’t care about shitty facebook, the rift will make it anyway and idon’t think you have to login to a facebook account to use the rift… I really hope warhorse don’t neglect rift support otherwise i would be very disappointed. This game screams for a vr with adjusted hud version!

1 Like

So when you say “I Don’t think you have to Login to a facebook” you should really say “I don’t know” because I am almost certain they won’t come to you before they launch the product and ask you for a formal consultation?

Here is the real issue everyone is missing, FACEBOOK is massively overvalued, it’s IPO was shocking compared with it’s collective turnover, not to mention it’s Profits (considerably smaller proportion of it’s turnover). So spending $19 billion on whatsapp, and another $2 billion on this Oculus VR, is akin to trying to drive a massive growth asap and spending like crazy hoping this will prove to be a good investment.

Have a look at the financials…http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/fb/financials/balance-sheet

Do you think this is a wise investment? Is it part of their Strategy? VR and SMS + Social Media?

The question needs to be do Software Developers want to work with FB, especially given their massive drive to “MONETIZE” their user base in order to pay all the Shareholders that bought in the hugely overhyped IPO.

I predict this will go the way of aQuantive and result in a massive write down, potentially with Oculus VR folding and FB owning the rights to the tech.

yeah i don’t know if they trying to implement foolish things like that but i don’t think so, and if they do there will be the competition correcting that with comparable products… whatever VR will be so amazing that i definitly want to have VR compatibililty in this game like warhorse promised, especially the rift because i don’t think the consumer version will be so much different now because facebook get involved…
what will happpen with oculus and facebook after that consumer rift? i don’t really care, i care about a great vr experience and i think this game is made for it.

if you are keen on VR and lets be honest, most of us are. I think you might be better served with other VR propositions. Oculus was not the first VR system / Hardware, and neither will it be the last, it got the furtherest and had the most promise but I’m pretty sure with significant developers moving away from it, you may find it becomes the GAMECUBE of it’s genre. Decent kit, but no one really supported it, or invested in it, to make it great and it silently slid into obscurity. It was the lack of Third party developer support that killed the GAMECUBE - This looks like it’s going the same way.

It’s a great shame, because it’s somewhat sullied KICKSTARTER, and (post this game which I believe in), I have to question whether I would invest in anything else to the benefit of big corporate entities. Where I stump up my money to De-risk their products and inflate their profit lines. They screw me often enough, time for me to screw them back.

That said once bitten twice shy, if Kingdom Come Deliverance did this (I don’t believe they will - but there are no guarantees when vast sums of money are discussed) I don’t think I would ever crowd source anything ever again.