Oculus Rift support

Continuing the discussion from Oculus rift use in alpha and streaming / youtube:

I “Replied as New Thread” to start a new discussion specifically about Oculus Rift support, rather than having OR and streaming in the same thread.

I think it is clear the devs have OR and stereoscopic 3D in mind, since they mention it in at least one of their videos and it’s the first thing mentioned in the “Hardware & System” category definition.

Since cryengine has native support for OR it should make VR implementation easier for developing and a better experience for the end user. But the user interface might need a major redesign for VR. As for the sickness issue, I just spent some time playing Minecrift with the Rift, specifically to play around with horses, and I didn’t notice any unusual motion sickness. Also the hardware (both the consumer version of the Rift, and general computing power) will be at least generation advanced from the current state by the time the final game is out, so I think it could be very possible to have a great VR experience, horses included. Of course horses in Minecraft and horses in Kingdom Come are two different beasts… maybe someone with Skyrim VR experience could chime in. I haven’t spent much time using the Rift and Skyrim, though it is on my “to do list.”

I backed this game because it looks great. VR was the icing on the cake!

11 Likes

I’ve used a lot of people as guinea pigs with the Rift, and, from what I’ve seen, VR nausea has been fairly random: some people had it on War Thunder and not on everything else, others in EuroTruck simulator, other in Half Life, and one particular person had it on that Tuscany house demo even without moving at all.

There are some common causes that show up quite frequently (like climbing those damn pipes in Mirror’s Edge…), that might be the case with the horse riding. Hard to tell.

I see no reason not to support Oculus headsets. Cryengine already does it. Star Citizen (another cryengine game) will do it.

If we get sick on our horses, that’s our own problem. Besides, they’ve made massive imrpovements to the headset recently to reduce the sickness factor.

5 Likes

One thing that bothers me regarding motion sickness are “forced” camera angles, like the opening scenes of Skyrim. I’m pretty resistant to motion sickness, both in the real world and in the Rift. But even in really well implemented games where I can normally play in VR mode for hours, some days I’ll play for about two minutes and my brain says “Nope. Not happening today!”

1 Like

Good for people that want it I’d suppose, though I’m not touching a rift any time soon if ever.

What about the virtuix omni?

Not sure I can grasp this statement. Mind = Blown!

If horse riding will be difficult to accommodate in KC:D with horses, then I sure hope Chris Roberts has a back-up plan for Star Citizen which will have OR support in space ships.

I hope KC: D implements Oculus support. I’d love the option to play this game in VR. If it makes me sick, I can always play it on my monitor. I’d like to have the option to decide for myself.

2 Likes

Not all people get sick. Some do get very sick , some don’t at all.
If it’s not too hard to do it , i’d love to have the option

I think virtuix is more for watching movies and things like that. Even the sony one is not claiming that is an Oculus competitor.

I don’t think they have one , as valve is actually using the rift also

This is just a guess, but maybe the fact a spaceship tends to move smoothly versus a horse which will have some up-and-down (and slight side-to-side) with respect to the general direction of travel, makes it more likely to induce motion sickness on a horse.

In answer to that, we must realize that when a person rides a horse, their body adjusts to the up and down movement along with their eyes. If done right, the movement can be translated in a way that it won’t give you motion sickness. Sometimes realism can be too realistic to the point where it breaks a game. So, developers find themselves breaking realism as much as needed to make certain things work better in their game.

Also, I know a couple people myself who get motion sickness from things like that just looking at a flat screen rendering the 3D for them.

2 Likes

+1 For Rift support. I understand it may not be a priority, but with the announced sharing of information between the Kingdom Come and Star Citizen (who are including OR support) teams, it seems like this may be a relatively easy decision to make.

+1, my support all the way!

Really how you can user it.

To get a really good VR experience you really need to design a game from the ground up for VR and I doubt that is going to happen with this game but VR support over all would be nice to play around with. It’s way easier to make a good VR experience for games like Star Citizen or EVE: Valkyrie where you sit in a cockpit compared to a game where you move around more. I suggest taking a look on the videos from Steamworks on youtube where Palmer Luckey and other VR professionals talk about the future of VR gaming and the problem with porting games to VR.

But again having VR support for this game would be epic and really immersive even if it wouldn’t be perfect :slight_smile:

Agreed.
It’s even as easy as putting a slider in settings to tone down horse riding movement to prevent VR sickness. Though I am sure I would keep it at full :smiley:

Well since the older dev kits being phased out and the new ones coming it will be interesting to see when the consumer version pops up.

As for here, I havent had the chance to use one and not 100% with the motion. I would leave it up to the devs but also dont forget cryengine supports along with SC. So I am sure modders will be able to get a handle and jury rig.

For me it is all large hype until the consumer version hits the shelves really. I think it will be great but I cant make a determination of its impact until my little grubbers are on it and that game studios support it.

I will leave the final decision up to the devs - their game really and if it doesnt reflect the vision then wait for modders. And there isnt much until there is a wide spread availability of the item.

1 Like

I also highly support the idea of OR support because the timing of the release would be perfect.
Defenetly waiting for it to happen :smile: