Oculus rift use in alpha and streaming / youtube

sorry if wrong category - i only had meta and german as options O_o

I own a dev kit version of the rift and was wondering, how useful would feedback of gameplay while using it would be?

I remember in your video it was lightly touched on but just curious what we as a player base can do to help because I love the idea of having the game work with the oculus rift in your world.

Also streaming on twitch/ youtube videos - what is your stance on all that?

5 Likes

I, too, am interested in streaming the Alpha build on Twitch and/or Ustream, and possibly featuring an episode of a gaming discussion show on the topic of Kickstarter games.

Streaming on twitch with Oculus Rift? How it can be done? But I’m really interested in this option!

Good luck!Good luck!Good luck!

I’m interested in the streaming part of this. It would be awesome if you guys would allow us to stream it, but I would understand if you would want to hold streaming back untill beta or untill release.

As an owner of the OR, I fully support anything that can be done with the rift in mind. IMHO as the future of PC gaming, it really should be focused on as the main form of delivery of the game.

1 Like

I don’t know if alpha should be streamed since it will be but just a fraction of the game. I am all for streaming and YouTube, but from a developers viewpoint, I can see why they may say no; who wants people to show their game to others when they will only see a small portion and will most likely be changed or altered when beta comes out. I believe that when beta is released it would be okay for streaming and YouTube.

Seeing that you and others in this forum own a dev kit for Oculus Rift I have to ask what is like to use and develop for the Rift. I think it would be totally rad to use Oculus Rift on this game.

1 Like

It will be very challenging for Warhorse to introduce Oculus Rift because of the horse riding. The high speed and specific movement of the horse would increase the sickness feeling that OR might cause. Nevertheless I hope the game will be developed with OR in mind since it will be the new standard for games and movies!

As a streamer myself (here) I too would like some clarification on NDA and streaming

@RADEK - all you have to do is do a screen capture of either the game itself altered via a 3rd party program to make it compatible w/ oculus (not recommended because your viewers would see what you see which is 2 circles with a small non overlap (like a ven diagram)), or you can use oculusoverlay which to my understanding creates a separate window which you can use to copy onto your OR and then stream the unaltered game normally (recommended).

@Jorge - I can see where you’re coming from saying you don’t think it should be streamed. But I’m sure there are a good number of people who feel the opposite and would be interested in seeing (1) any gameplay footage, (2) any OR footage, and both combined. I would hope by now that people recognize that alpha and beta are not representations of the final product. You can also, as the broadcaster / host, clearly state the stage of the game to stop or at least inhibit concrete opinions to be made.

Mortain - I think there are a few ways of circumventing the sickness issue. You could either:

1. Have the ability to become a better horse rider either via doing it a lot (like skyrim), train via a trainer, or allocate skill points - and thusly bounce less.
    2.Make an option for OR less bouncy horseriding-ness. Which would allow some people who want the OR experience but none of the pukage to still play using their OR.
  2. Use the OR so much that you develop a natural defense against motion sickness. - Not likely, especially for people, like myself, who naturally get motion sickness from sitting in backseats of cars.
1 Like

@Ewokichka - I completely agree with you, I think people would love to see game footage and that we do live in a gaming era where it is okay to release alpha and beta to the public or to people that specifically paid to gain access to do so. I would just hope that most people broadcasting or creating videos would tell their viewers that the game is still under development.

Wait so you’re telling me it’s to become my future of gaming?, that I should have to be forced to use this device which I’d love not to use at all?, who are you to decide how I game?.

I’d prefer it be used as device at the side so those that want to use it can and those that don’t aren’t forced into using something they clearly do not want to use.

It’s not the future of gaming, only for those that actually want to use the device.

hahaha

I don’t know how you took “future of gaming” to mean “forced to destroy all other peripherals and have the rift permanently attached to your head. Any protestors are shot.”

This isn’t the occulus 3rd reich. if you don’t want to use it, don’t use it. Gaming overall has constantly pushed for greater and greater detail, graphics and immersion. The rift is all of things things.

Ergo, the future of gaming.

" it really should be focused on as the main form of delivery of the game.", you’re openly implying and wanting it to be the main form in how to deliver this game, ergo you want the rift to be the main source of how the game is “meant to be played”, I’ve heard that before and know perfectly well what it means as an opinion.

Sure to you the rift is the future but many don’t see it that way, some see something else they like as the future and you’d most likely tell them different I’m sure.

As @Zala_ mentioned it, it would be great if @warhorse could help us out with some NDA based on the Alpha access. I would pretty much like to stream some alpha sessions/gameplay sessions as well.

I also would like to know if streaming/youtube can be done for my community (militarygamers.com)

Alpha will be out in about 6 months so it is a bit soon for releasing some statement on this topic.

I think some of the confusion lies in the way the rift works. The rift is already integrated AFAIK into the cry engine. There are plenty of games out there that have native rift support. Hawken, HL2, TF2, Warthunder etc. they are playable in both normal mode and in rift mode.

All rift mode does is split the screens and allow the 3D stereoscopic view to be projected to the rift. When I say that it should be the main form of delivery, I mean dedicated focus should be put into optimizing the game play, controls, head tracking and graphics for the rift.

This does not mean the game will be rift exclusive. I don’t think warhorse is foolish enough to do that so early on in rift development. If you choose to play without the rift, you can, and the game play is no different. Having a properly integrated rift does not negatively impact the game for non users, it simply enhances the game for those that choose to play in stereoscopic 3D.

@GeraldDuval
For a GOOD Oculus Rift experience one needs a little bit more than just stereoscopic screen splitting. For instance decoupling the looking direction from the move direction.
Looking to the side using head tracking should NOT turn the charackter. Turning and moving should only be done by mouse and keyboard. (like a car. where u look out of a side window but still drive straight forward).

Also i am not sure if some movements make you feel motion sick. In some of their video they mentioned horse riding as such. But from personal experience the decoupled looking helps most in any situations.

thankfully my stomach is made of sterner stuff, I haven’t had too many problems with queasiness. I do agree about the decoupling head to body though. the few games and demos I’ve played that have allowed that have been just spectacular.