Option to turn off motion blur?

Will there be an option to turn off motion blur in any future release? I don’t think I’m the only one that would prefer it set to off.

4 Likes

Enter r_motionblur 0 in the console to disable the motion blur (hit ~ to open/close the console). Reenable by r_motionblur 2. (Hope I got it right)

3 Likes

Didn’t know that, thank you.

Motion blur in alpha is realistic. After few shots of absint and tequilla. Again, thanks for the console command.

1 Like

Yes but for the final version as well as for the future console versions, this should be an option in the game’s Settings menu.

It may look cool for car or jet plane simulators, but I usually don’t get a blurry vision in real life when I turn my head around.

No compulsory blur please

1 Like

I would support an option to turn off motion blur in the full release. On my rig I almost go in to an epileptic fit when looking at sky in the forest with motion blur on. The flickering is insane. Outside of the forest it can get pretty disorienting sometimes. Thanks for the console command! Much better now. Real life has no motion blur, our eyes aren’t film cameras!

1 Like

Actually the motion blur is quite realistic. When you rapidly turn your head to look at something located behind you, you can’t see clearly all the things which you skipped and didn’t focus on on the way to reach that point behind you.

However I agree that it is a bit annoying in the game but I got used to it fairly soon.

2 Likes

I agree with you.
Maybe @warhorse would consider lowering the motion blur density if not removing it whatsoever.

While motion blur is realistic I think it´s overdone in the game - glad to see it´s possible to turn it off.

Would be nice to get an option to adjust the motion blur itself without turning it off completely.

1 Like

I couln’t agree more!

Sorry to revive this topic, but…

Dear Warhorse, please do yourself a favor and disable Motion Blur by default in all future updates, including the final release version. MB does a great disservice to the game’s stunningly glorious visuals. It’s nothing but a waste of precious computing cycles.

Go see an optometrist.

Much like the head-bobbing fallacy, you should not perceive any blurring. Eyesight doesn’t work that way.

I’d dearly love to smack whoever began introducing it. I accept it’s there because certain systems, mostly consoles, can’t handle the necessary processing to produce a smooth FPS when turning rapidly but this hack is just off-putting.

omg disable MB in option

1 Like

Do you understand that this is completely subjective? Anyway, it’s an option in the graphics menu, so what’s the big deal…

… motion blur is there … most of it is just masked out by your brain when you move your eyes or turn your head …

And as I´ve said it´s clearly overdone in the game - if it´s in the game it should just be a hint of it.
Even better if there is an option to turn it off or adjust it. So everyone can use it to his own likings …

No need to see a doctor - everything fine with my eyes …

…if your head is static observing a moving object. The world does not blur when you move your head unless you’re drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

Motion blur as it applies to games is utterly rubbish because the blur is applied fullscreen to every object.

Confusing this for realistic would appear to indicate some form of visual impairment. :confused:

I didn´t mean it to be realistic the way it is implemented in games - I meant it realistic in terms as it exists.
Even if you turn your head - but as I said it´s masked out by your brain.

In computergames though cameras mostly are treated like physical cameras and not like the human eye.
Therefore and probably also due to performance reasons / stylistic approaches things like motion blur, vignetting or chromatic abberation are pretty popular in the video game industry now.

Depending on the implementation I find most of the things ok in games - given that it´s not exaggerated (like MB in KC at the moment).
But I also get the people who don´t like those effects and therefore options to adjust / turn them off would be the best solution.

If we accept that it exists but we don’t see it because our vision system edits it out then it doesn’t exist.

Unless you’re implying the physical world is distorted by our movement without us being aware of it?

Even at rest our eyes don’t focus on any one object. These continual variations in focal point ensure we employ our fantastically developed edge detection equipment to maintain a crisp image.

There is no blur. That some people interpret it as realistic is disturbing.

It’s inclusion in games is just plain distracting.

Yeah, there is no motion blur in the real world. Great. Nevertheless, we’re not talking about the real world, we’re talking about a computer game on a screen. There are necessarily going to be compromises, be it in terms of color gamut, contrast, dynamic range, or motion. And when we have to make a compromise, different people have different preferences. Some people like a sharp image at the cost of continuity, and some people (me included) find the smooth continuous but blurred motion preferable. That is why there are Advanced graphics options where people can tune the settings to their liking, including many other things.

You don’t need to tell me that.

However, you should tell that to almost all of the YouTube uploaders who don’t disable it. MB being on by default the already terrible quality YT videos are going to be even more of a blurry mess. I’ve stopped trying to watch KCD on YouTube because of it.