Period Music! What can we expect and personal suggestions

Since I couldn’t find an existing topic on the ingame period music I’m starting one.

What is it that we can expect?
Will it only be Czech medieval music, or will there be music from all (eastern) Europe?

Most historical period music is limited to mostly church-like music, which I kind of dislike.

I hope/suggest more music from a (pagan) folk view, the German bands FAUN and Corvus Corax are really great. Corvus Corax could be used for the fights and big battles for example…
Also Irfan a Bulgarian band would be good.

2 Likes

You didn’t read stretch goals, did you? Music is already known. No bands.

And one more thing, Bohemia isn’t eastern Europe :wink:

1 Like

I think that this existing thread probably would have sufficed for posting this, rather than creating a new topic. Game Music/Soundtrack

But regarding the bands you mentioned, none of them are period music, they are all neo-medieval bands that play concerts that are not very different from rock or metal concerts. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with this, in fact after listening to a few minutes from each band on Youtube I quite enjoyed what I heard. But they are not consistent with the time period and so if you did hear something like this in-game it would likely be only for the ending credits.

And I would personally prefer a melodic death metal/black metal song for the credits, but that’s just me… :wink:

Yeah I guess I missed that… sorry

still what does “Czech Masters, note for note from ancient song books” exactly mean? Will it be a Czech folk band familiar with the music and rhythms with historical period instruments like Hurdy gurdy, bagpipes or gaida, dulcimer, harp, nickelharpa (scandinavian etc. ? Or just the music with piano, violin, cello…

And with “ancient books” you speak eventually mostly of church music, because that is what was “worth writing down”. And that would be a shame in my opinion.

Again? To everyone living western of the Czech Republic it actually IS Eastern Europe. There is often no “Central Europe”. Just Western, Eastern, Southern and Northern Europe. And here the Czech Republic is part of Eastern Europe. Is there something “bad” connected with the term for you Czech people that you desperately want to be not among the countries counted to it??? :wink:

To the topic: I have actually no idea for what exactly they are aiming here. “Pure” medieval music would be most likely boring very soon and might not fit to gameplay. So I’m curious with what they will come up in the future…

2 Likes

There are records of not only church music, but even folk music from around that period.
And to be honest I rather like the church music. The chorals can be considered bit boring, but some are nice even by todays standards.
There are several songs dated even older that are sung regularly till today.

Regarding Czech Republic Western or Eastern Europe - historically and culturally Czech republic has more in common with Western Europe. Unfortunately after WWII we got stuck with the Communist Eastern Europe block (Fuck you Edvard Benes).

The bands I mentioned are indeed neo medieval and improvise and make variations on parts but the instrumental parts mostly are originally historical folk music, I know that on the part of lyricks and such they are not accurate. Although the Cantus Buranus Project of Corvus Corax is based on the texts of the medieval texts known as Carmina Burana.
What I try to say is that most written down period music is not what common people listened to or made themselves if they could. It was for the rich and noble.

I would like to go into a tavern in the game and hear drinking songs and common people folk tunes :smiley:

1 Like

Calling CZE “eastern Europe” is pejorative term from times of iron curtain. It’s pure ignorance. There is no longer eastern block. Prague is geographically more on west than Vienna. And is it Austria eastern europe? Nop. Because it wasn’t part of the eastern block. CZE is Central Europe.

I know there is folk music from the time but that is often overlooked and forgotten.
And I can enjoy the church music too, but not all the time while playing. :smiley:

Yeah, I can live with Central Europe but for me Czech Republic will always be part of Eastern Europe. That’s just de facto common sense imo. I don’t mean that in any bad or insulting way. :wink:

That being said I’m always happy that so many people of the "old Eastern Europe countries want to be as western as possible (just look at the people in Ukraine…). You still have that positive mind about the EU and all that stuff. In the “old” Western Europe countries it’s often even the opposite in the meantime… :expressionless:

That is actually a very good point. While the style of music may not differ from what else was being played at the time, the lyrics and tone would likely be as varied as they are in today’s music, but of course there would likely be very few if any records of the songs created at that time by the common people.

1 Like

I think biggest difference will be stuff like the speed of the music, and the lyrics, like the vulgarity of the songs. While for the church almost everything is about god and jesus, common people will sing about joy and happiness, sadness and loss.
Marching songs, drinking songs, battle songs… I like to hear those! even if they are not completely historical accurate… Instrumental choice those matter more to me.

To be honest. Lumping Czech republic together with other other East Europe countries is one of very few things that people here may find offensive. What we have in common with those countries is forty years of history that ended twenty years ago. Rest of our history has lot more in common with Western Europe. We used to be one of most advanced areas in Austria-Hungary Empire. Independent part of Holy Roman empire. One of most influential kingdoms in whole Europe.
Also there is much older separator between Eastern and Western Europe - religion. East has ties to Byzantine Empire with Greek and Slavic rites and Western with Rome and Latin rite. The Latin rite has more than thousand year tradition in our lands while the Greek rites start to be more prevalent to the east of our borders.

(Sorry for slightly off topic rant)

2 Likes

I didn’t know Eastern Europe was an insult, sry. For me there is only one Europe, no worries… :wink:

It’s very interesting actually :smiley: history like this is why I’m so interested in this game.
As a Belgian I see my country not as such historical importance, although I am more familiar with bourgondien parts of the middle ages.
Personally I see Europe just as east and west geographically (not historical) and from my point of view you guys are eastern :wink: if that bothers you I won’t call it that again.

Whether we are Eastern or Western Europe doesn’t matter as long as we are not considered by that as some barbarians who discovered electricity last year :stuck_out_tongue:
But not to do this off-topic, It is true that music, which was played in pubs during that time, is definitely not that which you can listen now flagged as medieval music. And unfortunately those original song will be really hard to find since they were shared usually from bard to bard without any scores. But I don’t know exactly. According to the description of that stretch goal they probably find out some original songs already

2 Likes

Oh God no…
Instrumental only…

[quote=“OmarTheBest, post:16, topic:9865”]barbarians who discovered electricity last year :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
I always wondered, how do they make games without electricity? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sounds like parts of Wales :slight_smile:

What I obviously am talking about is just instrumental music, but more from the common people and with time period instruments