Playable female characters!

How dare you make rape jokes and calling rape “most hilarious shit ever” or “oh no moment”? If rape in a game is classified as an “oh no moment”, it is as much of a fantasy game as a game with dragons.

Lara Croft is called “Lara Croft”. Same as “Batman” being Batman. Those kind of games have no character customization, they include only one protagonist. Kingdom Come: Deliverance does have character customization, meaning you make your own character. I see absolutely no reason why it would be impossible, and I absolutely can’t see why it would be less exciting, to play as a female character.

Tomb Raider doesn’t include character customization. And men tend to sexualize Lara Croft anyway, showing that they’re obviously not immersing into the game, they’re viewing it as something a woman is doing. Oh, and men can be raped as well. Again, I’m not saying Tomb Raider should include Larry Croft, because the game doesn’t have character customization.

And how incredibly unimaginative do you have to be to believe a female protagonist in a medieval world limits the storyline and gameplay options? For real?

If your main goal with playing this game is to play something that has been made a thousand times before, why did you choose this game? I want to play KC:D because it seemed innovative. The only reason why they haven’t included the option to play as a female is because they don’t want you to play as a female. You can play as a fat dude, being as swift as the slimmest of the others, but not female…

Henry is a blacksmith’s son. Blacksmiths don’t fight on the battlefield, it’s absurd that he would. Yet that’s what he ends up doing, and that’s why the story is interesting. It would be easy for Warhorse to add a female character with it’s full storyline, they simply haven’t been convinced to.

Really a blacsmith is more common on battlefield than a women at that time, and yes there were few rare on here and there but they would deserve their story to be told but devs have made story for Henry around real events and that’s it. They even told so on when you were giving your money for this game…

I think you might be mistaken here. You play Henry in KCD. You cannot adjust his face or physique (they have hinted you might be able to change his hair and facial hair). You can adjust his clothes.

But this is not character customization in the sense that Skyrim is, for example.

This story is about a male protagonist. Period. This topic should be closed.

This game isn’t like Skyrim, Fallout, or Mass Effect, in regards to character customization. Its character customization is more like Assassin’s Creed. They are making a game that tells a specific story. If you want to have more character customization, this isn’t that game. No one is forcing you to play this game. I don’t understand why this debate keeps going on, like KCD is obligated to include females. That’s really rude to what they’re trying to do. They have enough challenges already. They don’t need to feel guilty because a select few are up in arms because they can’t play as a woman in a game that is trying to be realistic and historically accurate. It’s just an absurd and selfish argument.

1 Like

It does not limit the story line. It presents different challenges. So different that just switching genders would not work. For example unknown male can be quite believably be hired by local lord to chase some bandits. Unfamiliar female on the other hand wouldn’t be even considered. It doesn’t mean that she can’t go after them but that if she wants to go after the bandits, she must do so on her own. At least at the start and later when she has some reputation she again faces vastly different environment, based on the prejudices and expectation of people around her. Yes it may be interesting story, but it is not the story @warhorse wants to tell in this game. And I don’t think that it diminishes value of the story.

If you want to tell me that the difference between how people treat man and women is not that big than just let me count the number of times I was told: “You can’t do that, you are female.” (I don’t remember every single instance, but I heard it more than once or twice.) And there is lot more acceptance for women stepping out of traditional roles than it was five hundred years ago.
Also as far as I understood lot of character customization in this games comes mostly from wearing different clothes or hairstyles. Also your choices may possibly affect your physique. I don’t think there will be some slider to set up your characters face, body type etc.
And finally you have to understand the difference between sandbox game and story driven game. This is story driven game. Yes there is open world and the story is advertised as nonlinear, but it still is not a sandbox game.

1 Like

I know. But really, developing the game’s infrastructure, physics engine, all of the research etc. etc. costs much more than writing a believable storyline. They could write one that follows the same tracks but with many different interactions, with a female character, much easier than their non-linear storyline that they’ve already said they’re making. You can make choices along the way that leads to a different story; it is quite obvious that even though it costs time and money to expand on the story, they have enough of both.

I am a man, and I felt tons of extra connection to Henry when I first saw his face; his default appearance even looked like me. If I can feel that kind of immersion in a great game like this, I feel pity for the nearly 50% of all gamers who can’t. Oh, and yes, women do make up a massive amount of today’s gamers.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games#Female_gamers_as_a_demographic

But they aren’t trying to appeal to the masses. They are trying to make a very niche game. Obviously they want it to be successful, but this game is inherently targeting a very specific audience. If a female gamer cannot get excited about what they’re trying to do because she cannot play as a woman, then this just isn’t the game for her, and they’re under no obligation to appeal to her. They are trying to tell a specific story, and if she doesn’t want a part of it, then that’s that. They shouldn’t be compelled to accommodate. That’s really unfair. Should they include transgender playable characters to? Black people? Maybe the main character should be homosexual? How bout a Mexican medieval blacksmith? … You get my point, I hope…

3 Likes

Actually this could be very interesting. Following a story of a Czech soldier who starts war with the Austrian army but soon defects and joins the free Czechoslovak army in the East, then when the Great War is over keeps fighting Bolsheviks, control the Transsiberian railroad, and then takes a year to get back to the homeland, which is now a free country.

Also, one of my favorite badass historical figures is Josef Šnejdárek.

Started in Austrian army in 1895. He was bored so he went to see what a war is like between Turks and Greeks on holidays.

Then joined French foreign legion and fought for years in Africa. Then got into the Great War in Europe and was few times injured.

Got back to Czechoslovakia and first won war against Poland and then against Hungary.

Playing this guy would be ultimate bad-assary.

you clearly have no idea about game development.
It would be a lot for work… all cutsenses, all conversations would need to be in two versions both the text and the full voice acting. That is not something you do in an afternoon

And they would be break the promish they made about making a historical game.

3 Likes

Please, watch and read some updates. Part of what you said so far was quite the opposite what Warhorse said.

1. Minimal customization. The game could as well be called “Henry 1403” if you will. You can change clothes, you can shave but thats all.

2. As Palma said, the quest would often have to be different or have different solutions. Yeah, it could be very limiting if the female character should follow the same path.

3. Actually playable female character in RPG isnt that rare so I wouldn´t call KCD “done thousand times” just becouse of male main character

4. And who then fought on battlefields? Entirely proffesional army werent taht common. Sure that they did if lord needs them. It is not that impossible.

5. Just last update, Dan “complain” that they only have a week for a quest but that they will hopefully do it in time. So no, its quite obvious that they dont have extra time to do that all aggain for another ccharacter.

6. Im sure that this “50% gamers” consider Facebook games on the same level as AAA RPG. So even though it is much popular than action or strategy games, it is still far less then 50%

3 Likes

[quote=“josse, post:63, topic:22080, full:true”]
Henry is a blacksmith’s son. Blacksmiths don’t fight on the battlefield, it’s absurd that he would.[/quote]

This is false! Who do you think fight on a battlefield? There were the nobleman, Knights who were like the regular soldiers. But at this time there were no professional army, most of the fighters on the battlefield were bounden man who have to fight for there local lord. It was like a conscription, and even today you have many many countries with conscrisption. If there is a war, who do you think wo is gonna fight in it? Only some regular soldiers? Most of them are forced male conscripts, farmers, merchants, craftsmen. Everyday people, and all of them are male. If women fight in the army, they are volunteer soldiers, but not every army allowed them. And this is the case in Kingdom come deliverance.

So, a blacksmith would be forced fo fight, especially him, because he knows what a sword is and he is strong and healthy.

4 Likes

Example:
1420 Establishment of Tabor, head of the Hussite cities collars and the center of the revolutionary wing of the Hussites, therefore: the name Taborites.
Many farmers sell their goods, move with their families to the collection points of the radicals and throw their money “in a common pot”. This leads to accumulation of 40,000 to 50,000 farmers.

(Tabor: Link sorry in german)

Lol this guy is to funny. Henry is in the service of a lord so he will do what ever the hell the lord tells him to. Henrys main occupation is not blacksmithing anymore obviously. Hes an able bodied young man so it would be logical to assume he has to fight in wars.

Really it would? So hiring a female for motion capture. Re writing the entire story to fight around a female at the time. Yeah just a walk in the park. If its so easy why don’t you and your fellow feminists go make a game about a female fighting in the 1400s.

Tomb raider sexualizes Lara Croft. They obviously want her to look sexually appealing so you can shut your trap.

Well with all your talent and imagination why haven’t you made a game about a women in the 1400s. Instead you’re here trying to force a main female character in the game.

No you cannot change your name or face you obviously didn’t read up on this game at all.

1 Like

Erm, the English had a VERY professional – or at least semi-professional – army. Those longbowmen weren’t just poor schlubs snatched off a farm. They trained their entire lives specifically for that purpose.

The idea that Medieval armies were predominantly a rabble of peasants waving pitchforks is in of itself a myth. Medieval armies were more accurately something closer to the modern concept of the national guard.

Yes, but England was completely different to HRE and you know that. England had a governmental structure build up after the invasion of the normans in 1066, so the king had much more power in relation to the church.
The HRE had a more complex dependencies about the church, and the power of the emperors was more dependent about the prince-electors. So the emperors don´t have the structure and therefore not the money to build up a modern army like the english one. At least till 100 years after Maximilian I. changed this during his Imperial Reform.

So, no professional army in the HRE at this time.
But this don´t have to mean conscripts don´t know their job well, this mainly mean that it wasn´t their main job to be a soldier. Maybe there also was some good examples, but here is a bad one:

My hometown get the rights of the city after the battle of worringen in 1288, where the duke of Brabant fought against the bishop of cologne. The fight of the peasants is descriped as horroble, because they killed everyone they could reach, whether there were friendly or enemy troops. Some of them don´t know about the armorial bearings, so they killed everyone who lookes like an evil man.

After the plagues of the mid 14th century armies got a lot smaller and more professional. Sure men-at-arms would usually get more food than a poor peasant infantry man, but both require food and water. So having fewer and better trained and equipped men makes the logistics so much easier. Also smaller armies = smaller risk of disease.

But with the HRE it is rather hard to generalize because of the huge differences in culture, economics around the realm.

English commoners were required to train with a long bow so in a way they still were “peasants”. A lot of them would have probably been farmers.

But the very fact that the law was repeated and the fines raised show that the ordinary peasants did not do as the law required.(if they did, not need for harder punishment)

Most longbowmen where not poor peasants but from the yeomanry… and when they did join up they usually served for years.
Also the usual practice was that a Noble could demand their vassals to serve for just 40days… rarely that was sufficient for military campaigns. So armies was usually paid.

And when we are talking the english army they where professionals. (if you do something for a living it is you profession)