Playable female characters!

Continuing the discussion from Playable female characters:

There are a few extremely important things for me when I’m looking at new games…

#1. Do the graphics look good?
#2. Does the gameplay look good?
#3. Is there character customization?
#4. Can you choose your character’s gender?

If a game doesn’t satisfy #1 and #2 then it won’t even be considered further. If it doesn’t include #3 then I’m extremely disappointed from the get-go.

If it doesn’t include #4 in the form of being able to play a female protagonist then I’ll just drop it right then and there and not give it further consideration and this is true probably over a good 90% of the time. What’s more, if it doesn’t include a female protagonist I’ll never really get into it, even if I do play it, and I’ll never truly connect.

I played a whole variety of the Assassin Creeds, one of the exceptions to my #4 rule; however, I did not connect with the protagonist on literally any of them. I played Witcher 1 & 2 but I can’t really connect with Geralt either.

Without both #3 and #4 the game is essentially dead to me. Even if the graphics and gameplay are so good that it can get me to play it, there will essentially be zero replayability for me.

I didn’t play games like Skyrim or Oblivion for thousands of hours because the graphics or gameplay were so good because quite honestly neither were that amazing. I played them for so long because of alt whoring. If you aren’t familiar with the term, which comes from MMORPG’s, it’s basically just making alt(ernative) characters… a lot of them. You make one character, customize it a certain way, then go and play the game a certain way. Then you make a new one, customize it in a totally different way (or maybe not “totally” different) and then you go and play the game in a totally different way. In an open world RPG there’s so much possibility for gameplay replayability when you aren’t locked into a static character and are actually able to have good character creation customization options (including gender choice) that it’s mind boggling why someone, when given the choice, would choose against it.

Quite frankly, I think limiting playable female characters to “a line of quests” is basically insulting. It would be about like claiming there’s a King and a Prince playable characters in Witcher 2 because of the two quests you get to control them in. Putting a female character in a few quests where you control them isn’t the same thing as a playable female character and it’s a cheap cop-out when they could have done so much more. They had a chance to really do something great but they shot themselves in the foot, and they’re keeping themselves tied down on purpose.

Most people here, for 200+ posts, seem to just be in one big circle jerk for being totally A-okay with no female main protagonist. I hate to be the one to say this but most people here are already fans of the game and the ones that are so turned off by there not being female main protagonists that they aren’t going to play the game probably aren’t going to be bothered to register and complain about it, especially when everyone is so vehemently supportive of not having the option of playing a female main protagonist. It is for that reason that I felt I must register simply to say what isn’t being said by everyone that feels the same way and can’t be bothered to post it knowing it won’t do any damn good in the end anyways. The fact alone that I managed to get my own first name as a username isn’t very reassuring, to say the least…

Also, I spent over 30 minutes trying to figure out how to even reply in this dumb forum software… worst forum software, ever. In the end I just gave up. This is probably wrong, but screw it.

2 Likes

I see you didnt pledged yet and I really think you shouldnt. If you dont like this game, than its obviously not for you.

from the suggestions, it looks like you might be looking for dragon age

1 Like

Thank god we have specific 1 character with a name - in this case a male (female wouldn’t be on the battlefield with sword and shield, coz real history, you know). Personal story of 1 character fits way better and will bring better narrative than thousand faces of Emma Watson with silly fantasy names and titled “the chosen one” in every dialouge.

“I didn’t play games like Skyrim or Oblivion for thousands of hours because the graphics or gameplay were so good because quite honestly neither were that amazing . I played them for so long because of alt whoring. If you aren’t familiar with the term, which comes from MMORPG’s,” - Alts… in personal story game? What? When? How? I’m missing something. Next they can create not 5 dungeons, but 100, because your alts have nothin to do there “sad face”.

First, i don’t want to play this game for thousands of hours, because nobody can write thousands of hours of interesting content. Again, it’s specific 1 characters personal story in the world. It will be different for a lot of people based on non-linear choices and progression through the story.

You know what, i enjoyd Tomb Raider, but it is an insult they didn’t let me play as male character. Or better, create my classic 7 feet tall male chacter “Shit chewer” (for voiceover dialogue purposes - “The Chosen One”) and play like him in the very personal story of Lara Croft in Tomb Raider… I just don’t get why not. And if they have to rewrite it for this non-specific gender charactrer, good… The game will fucing suck because of it. But hey, my “Shit Chewer” being in is more important than story writing, historical period accuracy and specific things happening to Lara as female in the game (How hillarious some “rape” based scene would be on my “shit chewer”… On Lara it may work as “oh no moment”, on my 7 feet tall male it will be the most hilarious shit ever)

This game has no future as other games of specific gender and personal story: Red Dead Redemption, Gta 5, Assasins Creed series, Mafia (oh no, i see patern) and many more personal story failures, hopefuly Kingdome Come can become on of those.

4 Likes

@Tiffany, yes I agree with you. A game where you could choose who you want to be would have a lot more variety in the gameplay. But this gameplay would also be more flattened, especially in a historical scaneario like kingdom come, because a female have to go through a completely different experience than an a male character. NPCs have to respond in a completely different manner, and you would need another story.

In your quote of Reapo you can read ablout women in armor, like Joan of Arc or Elizabeth the 2nd, but all this women have a really speacial story, a story that is need to told if you want to make something like this in a historical game like kingdom come.
This story would be interesting, yes, but it also would be completely different from what we can expect from the one about their protagonist henry. There would be a way how it comes that you as a female would fight among mans, and this way, this story needs to be told and it needs to be written and programed.
Yes it would be awesome, but it is a lot of work to do so, and the developers neither have the time nor the money to spread their project out in a way like this.
So, if you can give them like 10.000.000,00$ and about 2 or 3 years more of time, than I am sure they would be able to open the whole game and implement fully character customization. But this is nothing you can do “by the way” between breakfast and lunch.

This not like skyrim, where you can play a female character, but be honest, where in skyrim does it really matter what kind of gender you play? Where is the difference in the gameplay or the story?
It would be wrong to put a customization concept like the one of skyrim in the game of kingdom come, because kingom come is a completely different kind of game.

For example, if you like cargames, there is a game called Spintires, this is about cars and trucks in difficult offroad terrain. If you say “Woar, cool, a new racing game with beautiful landscape, I can´t expect to jump im my Lamborghini and drive with the speed of hell through that terrain”, you will be really disappointed. The develpers of Spintires could do a Lamborghini, but they also have to change the whole game if they want this kind of car be able to fit in.

8 Likes

Most people here are aware there are many asking this option for the same reason as you (though I never get it as I dont mind play as female protagonist).

They´ve added the short lien of quest as female character with statement that they noticed how many people were asking for that option, unfortunately they arenť able to make two full reslistic nonlinear stories. Woman character would have different options, reactions… etc. Dialogs would have to be rewriten, some quest changed, abadoned and new created.

And if the game implement woman character option just as something cosmetic? I think that actually sounds more insulting.

1 Like

Ok I was typing my reply so long that I didnt noticed @DrFusselpulli reply, making mine sound redundant a bit.

Have to add one thing. Woman warriors did exist sometime in history but both Johan of Arc and Queen Elizabeth were more leaders, not warriors. Though I heard a lot about woman fighting in Hussitess war (totaly not sure) and thats the game setting so it would be difficult — but perhaps possible to play even as woman soldier I guess…

Anyway, there was discussion on Kicstarter that makes me think about it and I would love if they eventually add alternative story as female character somewhere in the future (after Act III).

First thing first though.

i tend to agree with the OP, thats why the game is only pledged at ~2.3mio and struggling to get to the next stretch goal…, providing more choices is always better same as selling a car or tv etc…

my 2 cents.

umm… there is no next stretch goal, probably this is the reason why it is struggling reaching it.

3 Likes

This is probably the only thing in your post I agree with. The forum software really IS one of the poorest and most unintuitive I’ve ever seen. SMF, vBulletin, etc. are SO much better.

The original post is in categorie “Gameplay”.
Tiffany is not a backer.
She can only post in categorie “Off-topic” (and Other languages).
She can´t reply to the orginal posting.

3 Likes

I love options and custom characters myself and play females when given the option but this game is aimed at telling a specific storyline; its an RPG but we are playing a specific role in a specific time and place.

I also understand women being offended that their gender isn’t being represented but my question is would you really want to fill the shoes of a woman during a time when women’s rights were limited?

Now its my understanding that Bohemia was more progressive in that area in that time but the above question is one im still curious about?

1 Like

The forum still has other issues in its current design. IE the only notifications I ever see that a thread I already read has new posts is if it’s a thread I’ve responded to. If I read it but don’t post or describe, it will NEVER tell me that there’s new posts in it again.

Well, if you’ve ever read Rejected Princesses you’d know there were certainly women who got away with stepping out of “women’s roles,” even during the Middle Ages. And NOT just noblewomen who were more likely to get a pass (my favorite is Julie d’Aubigny – she’s a bit later, but Western views on women hadn’t changed all THAT much). However it would certainly be much more difficult (sexual harassment, threat of rape, attacked by men AND women who think you’re upsetting the natural order of things, etc.). I actually think it could offer an interesting dynamic as opposed to the unisex world of D&D, but to do it properly would require a GREAT deal of work; it would almost be like an entirely separate game, requiring different responses from every NPC.

3 Likes

Have check the Preferences in your Profil?
For me it works good…

@Blacksmith None of those options are what I’m talking about. This board only shows topics as New if you’ve NEVER viewed them (or if the topic was started within the time frame set). What I’m talking about is on other boards (IE SMF) indicate ALL topics that have new POSTS, not only topics that you’re tracking or have posted in.

Not at the time and place, but 20 years after the game female warriors would become a common occurrence on the battlefield of the Czech Kingdom, and 80 years later we could see fully literate women being socially equal to males… until the Catholics won the Bohemian part of the 30 year’s war and threw the whole area into dark ages for 200 years.

So maybe, once the Act 3 is finished and makes enough money to bankroll warhorse into the future, Vávra can set on making a believable historical story of middle-ages emancipated female warrior on the backdrop of the Hussite Wars.

1 Like

Okay, maybe it works for me, because I checked (nearly) every topic in this forum…?
And set “watch” in each categorie :blush:

That’s if they want to continue with the historical gaming aspect. And if they do, I understand if they focused within their own country for any game like that. I doubt they’d go from Bohemia 1403 to the Hundred Years War for example, or to 1066. However, if they do continue historical games, World War 1 from their point of view would be interesting.

no , no ,no and again no . an RPG game of this style in WW1 would be awful .

medieval set RPG’s are the best .

I did a quick check at steam.
Games, RPG >>> 906 Games
FEMALE, Games, RPG,>>> 85 Games
Okay the list is not complete (Skyrim,ect), but it looks like there are only 10% as female playable…

Here an interesting interview:
Why can’t players choose the main character’s gender? | Deus Ex: Human Revolution

And yes, somtimes I play a RPG as a badass woman (MassEffect I-II-III) :grinning:

It´s fun, but KCD dosn´t work this way…