Please dont make it easy to get money

In case it wasn’t clear, my post above is suggesting looting corpses for personal use, not selling the armor.

Honor? He’s a peasant. It would not be below him to do such things. Still though, it could be fun to have Npcs react if they see you with looted armor, make it something they despise you for.

That being said it’d be pretty foolish to think armor was not reused historically. Given the time it takes to make something like chainmail, they sure as heck repaired and reused armor.

I disagree with you, Assassin’s Creed’s financial system was laughably inadequate. With the exception of ship building (in AC4), wealth was a worthless pursuit which should never be the case in a sandbox game (unless it’s zombies or something). The original AC didn’t get into money (which worked) however, as soon as AC2 came along so did the terrible economics that they implemented. Money was as easy to obtain as walking past someone and it only could be used for two things: better gear or making more money. Seeing as you shouldn’t play the game as a hack and slash (makes the whole thing boring), buying gear doesn’t mean anything. So money is pointless in AC2.

AC: Brotherhood and Revelations had a similar problem (no worthwhile gear, money to make money) but they’re not the worst offenders of this series. AC3 had the worst economic set in AC history. Not only was upgrading gear pointless (unless you really suck at the game), the whole ship mini game was set up just so you can make more pointless money which you would then use to buy more pointless things to make more pointless money…

I like Assassin’s Creed but let’s not even pretend it has anything resembling a realistic or intuitive economic system.

And Dark Souls (1 and 2) is infallible.

My post wasn’t meant as a direct answer to yours, just as a general contribution to the topic. :wink:

That’s what I’ve meant. People wouldn’t react all that good if they see with you with looted armour. And then again you’d have to change it anyway.

Yes, indeed. But you need money to “reuse” a piece of armor. Since every (better) armour was kind of made for exactly one person according to his physiology you’d have somebody to change it which would require some decent money and a lot of time.
And of course “loot” belongs to the feudal lord and not to commoners. If you steal from a battlefield you probably steal from your lord which was very much a serious crime back then…

Yes, but actually Assassin’s Creed is NOT a sandbox game. At least not primarily.

Money is pretty much pointless in AC on purpose. It’s just there to let you buy additional equipment but it has no purpose beyond that. So yes, it isn’t realistic but I rather have it that way than the opposite with the player getting richer and more powerful as the king himself… :wink:

Like I said, worst economics in modern gaming (slight exaggeration). I like the games (AC3 be damned to Hades though) but I would never tell a game dev to reduplicate AC’s money system in their own game. It’s easily the weakest part of AC as a whole.

True, lordcrash, good points. Refitting the armor would be a rather involved process and of course if more metal were added to a set of chainmail one would need to procure the metal required. No free lunch! As they say.

As another factor to your point that if a lords man were to steal from the dead then he might steal from his own lord. A lord might be thought poor if he did not outfit his soldiers properly such that they would feel compelled to steal from the dead.

1 Like

They system isn’t weak imo just because it’s unrealistic. It fulfils its purpose quite well. And you can just leave it be if you’re not interested in side games. So I think it’s even better than in many other games in which a bad economy can completely break game balance. That won’t ever happen in AC. But of course, it’s not really realistic.

But I don’t think that the system of AC is appropriate for KCD. I think the game would benefit from a more realistic and grounded economical system although that requires a lot more work and technical expertise which is perhaps not available. Let’s hope for the best though…

I suppose that’s all we can do.

So much so that you can throw it away to cause a distraction :laughing: and make the plebs go cash crazy

In saying that though, I do like AC games… even with their many flaws. I think they hold a certain amount of promise for me, which for the most part has yet to truly be realised. It’s why I keep going back. I think I’m just holding out for the inevitable feudal Japan period piece, where we can play as an actual ninja assassin :smiley: *sigh one day.

Great point man.

And no doubt the team is going to adhere to that exact sentiment. Pretty sure I recall @Hellboy mentioning on a number of occasions, about how Henry is not some “chosen one” or anybody particularly “special”… He’s a normal guy for the time period, who more than likely gets caught up in some pretty interesting affairs. So I’m confident we won’t be let down in that regard. :wink:

1 Like

I like the thought of having little in terms of money. Class disparity was a real thing, and if you didn’t do something pretty drastic you were going to be utterly dependent on your liege lord. Thus, if you went the way of a knight or something, you’d have an easier time acquiring, say, heavy armor and such. This makes sense, since the knight sort of class is better equipped and heavily armored, whereas the thief and bard classes would not necessarily be so.

Given the setting and the characters background a more story driven income would be my preference:

• no abundance of cash
  • for certain tasks you are provided with certain gear (possibly on loan) be it a sword or horse from your liege lord or a shovel from the guy who asked you to muck out his stable.
  • more often than not, non monetary rewards for quests (since many of your quest NPC also don’t have abundant cash resources), e.g., getting a place to sleep, information, something to eat etc.
  • same for looting there shouldn’t be too much money involved there

Usually the more sandboxy a game the more problems you have with the money system. If there are multiple ways to earn money and they aren’t mutual exclusive and not all required, then you almost always end up with too much money available - countered only by sometimes ridiculous money drains. Partially responsible is the non-continuous time flow of your story. If you don’t progress story-wise and instead spend your time making money (in whatever way) you almost always end up with too much money, if on the other hand the story would progress on its own you would have a way of controlling the income. Another interesting concept was used in Gothic, there was simply a predefined amount of money accessible for you, which would only increase by meeting new NPC and progressing in the story. No vendors with infinite amounts of cash on their hands.

1 Like