Realism, How far should it be taken

(10 posts deleted)
Please keep your off-topic off this topic. This is not a chatroom. Last warning.

Sorry to bring up bears again but i remembered that bears will be in kingdom come could you possibly say how realistically they will act and if they will live in a den and hunt other creatures/ humans? Also will they terrorize villagers and eat their live stock?

I actually think that this is a mature and valid question. If I may add to it, I really hate how bears are done in games like Skyrim and Assassin’s Creed III. In Skyrim, a bear almost never surprised you, because they were always on your “radar” or whatever. Same thing in AC III.

Now, I’m going to admit I don’t hunt, so forgive me my reasonable knowledge gaps. But bears can surprise people right? They are supposed to be a frightening and powerful natural enemy in games, but they just seem to fall short of producing any actual sense of danger to players.

I suppose where I’m going with this is, will bears be frightening? Will there be circumstances where a player will actually consider it possible to take on a bear with the weapons he has available? Or will it be something that we will have to take care to avoid unless we want to become bear food?

1 Like

Yeah bears are pretty smart creatures they will play dead for hunters then maul them when they get up close to skin them :smile: I doubt plate would give you much protection seeing how they rip apart cars. Im no bear expert but they are mostly scavengers and not sneaky but they will stalk humans on occasion and kill them so im sure they could surprise you. Also what kind of bear do we have to consider here a black bears are generally more passive then grizzlys and im pretty sure there weren’t grizzlys in Europe then. But even so a 500lb (226 kilogram) (7 foot on hind legs and 4 feet on all fours) Black bear would be a problem it would be pretty difficult to take it down with a bow probably a spear or something like that would be best. So if warhorse could implement an intelligent animal that is tough to take down then it would be realistic. Also they love getting in to garbage they cant resist it so i wonder if they could implement it to where they walk down to the village rubbish pile or what ever means of waste disposal they had back then and rummaged through it.

just for the love of god dont have packs of wolfs that attack you from no where like far cry 4 . they pissed me off so much . be owning everyone then out of no where i get attacked by a bunch of wolves and cant get away and just die . blood pressure levels were going through the roof with that crap

Unfortunately I cannot answer you, guys.
If you wish to continue discussion about animals, pleae go here

or here

Is it really necessary to steer people from a lively discussion with 240 posts (200 if we discount the bears) towards a discussion with 49 (/42 respectively) posts that has been dead for some 8 (10) months?

Sometimes the way some team members communicate here brings to my ears this very segment of people = shit song.

It is not that much harder to communicate with people in more respectable way that doesn’t imply “we got your money, now shut up and f**k off”.

3 Likes

You are not alone here. A forum is a cacophony of voices and needs some order to remain readable as a source of information and usable as a tool. That’s why topics should stay on-topic (that’s not steering of discussion) and why moderators have to keep the discussion civil. By backing the project you have NOT bought an anarchy ride ticket even though you’re still on the Internet. Neither the developers nor other of their supporters are your toys which have to withstand any sort of your behavior with silence and/or compliance. So please keep civil manners, don’t attack others, don’t troll, best avoid discussion on topics that drive you crazy and keep discussions in designated places=categories/topics. Generally speaking don’t be arrogant, rude and keep in mind that none of the topics are your private chatroom. Notice that unlike with some other gaming communities you are very much allowed to criticize and disagree with anything or anyone. As long as you don’t break the general rules. I hope I will not have to explain it any time soon again as all this should be understood instinctively.

Most of the time we keep order silently, behind the curtain (reorganizing, deleting excessive shouts, occasional insults or spam). If you break the rules repeatedly you will receive several polite reminders and warnings. It might happen that direct last warning comes as well, but it should never happen prior to any other.

And yeah, I know that song. I used to pogo to it freaking 12 years ago. However Vol 3: Subliminal Verses is by far the best Slipknot album imho.

Any other following off-topic post here will be immediately deleted. This should be about realism and how far should it be taken.

5 Likes

I honestly perceived the bears question to pertain to realism, as well as how far it should be taken. Not that I was offended then, or even felt as great a need to reply as did @snejdarek, but I can’t say I disagree with him. Why should a discussion of how realistic the animals in the game will be need to be moved away from this thread? The questions about the (now infamous) bears don’t even belong in either of those categories. @SirWarriant was not curious about the hunting mechanism, or if bears will be included. He wanted to know how real they will act. Will they attack the player? Will they hunt other animals? Will they be a nuisance to humans? These questions all seem quite at home here on this thread. If you really can’t answer those questions, that’s fine, but don’t try to push us toward other topics that bear only slight resemblance to what we’re actually asking (see what I did there? LOL :slight_smile: ).

I’ll take that question. I’d refer you to the Original post. We aren’t talking about how realistic things will be, but what are the extremes of realism and where does one draw a line. Now if you’re asking would bears attacking children be taking it too far or would you be happy to see that, that would be on topic.

Oh, I see. That actually clears it up nicely. Thanks man :wink:

So, while I had read the OP once before, I went ahead and did so again for posterity, and I now am forced to concede that the discussion of bears and how realistic they will act does not belong here. However, I was reminded of what the topic of this post really is, and I must say that the bears seem to be a positive spin on the thread.

But, if you all would like to go back to discussing whether rape, jerking off, and shitting on people should be put in games just because those things do happen in real life, I think I’d rather sit that one out. :wink:

Oh, and I don’t mean any of this as a personal comment toward @Madaras or his original post. Rereading it I can see that, yeah it went wildly off topic there more than once.

Good catch moderators! :smiley:

Ok back to realism will there scenes when you come apon a pillaged village and see a pile of dead corpses in the middle?

1 Like

EDIT for those who continued the meta off-topic discussion anyway (all posts deleted): We already have specific animals and hunting related topics. You were directed there if you wanted to continue the discussion and you were free to do so (you apparently didn’t want to). That doesn’t mean the previous discussion here was off-topic per se but rather that it already got too specific. Neither does it mean that someone is silencing you. Equivalently you will be redirected when you start discussing clothings, barrels or vegetables because there are specific topics about it. Discussions cannot be all over the place just because they fit some “broad topic”.

answer: pillaged village scene? Yea.

But if a village is pillaged, who piled the corpses? :blush:

I kinda had this vision of a burning village where the attackers piled the bodies and put a flag on top the of the pile not sure if this actually happend back then though :wink: Will we do any pillaging or is Henry the kind of guy who wouldn’t cut down innocent men women and children?

no wasnt quite as clean cut as that im afraid :slight_smile: pillaging was normally carried out in enemy land with small forces so it was more of an in and out as quickly as possible mission rather than lets clean up after ourselves type

Well though my prior explanation has strangely disappeared. Let me put it this way. Do you want to see a pile of burning corpses with a flag on top? This discussion is about games as a whole. What would be crossing the line? What teeters on the edge of that line. What is the moral/other limit to what you would put in a game for the sake of realism.

1 Like

No i dont think that would be crossing the line its war so horrible things should and probably will be in the game.

This game is about a country at war so it would make sense to have entire villages being slaughtered and you coming across at least a few times in the game.

I dont think i explained correctly what i meant was would the people who pillaged the village pile all the bodies up in a sick pile and put a flag on it to demoralize and strike fear into anyone who came across it not as a way of cleaning up but as a fear factor kind of thing.

no that would take to long . better and quicker to torch the place and leave the bodies where they fell.

i will be murdering villages for sure though :smile:

1 Like