[Rumors]Crytek going down? What then about CryEngine?!

OK - panic stopped; but the engine switch is only one of the possibilities/outcomes - see my post above

I hope I wasnā€™t too rude :wink:
I have to admit that I donā€™t know how licensing works concerning CryEngine. Still, I donā€™t see why WH should lose the right to develop in it, even IF Crytek goes bankrupt. Or, that said, why they should switch to another engine.

But I know what pain in the arse it is, to change a engine while in the middle of development :wink:

Even if theyā€™re ā€œstuckā€ using what they have now by the time Act 3 rolls around, from everything Iā€™ve seen the game would still look amazing. Things will change some over the next couple years as more powerful CPUs are built and developers figure out how to maximize use of the new consoles, but itā€™s not like the KCD games are going to suddenly look bad if nothing changes on their end. Besides, theyā€™re learning more about the engine on a daily basis, Iā€™m sure.

Hereā€™s a GameInformer story about the news/rumors: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/24/report-crytek-uk-experiencing-financial-problems-fate-of-homefront-the-revolution-in-question.aspx

Also includes a link that mentions Crytekā€™s licensing setup from back in March: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/03/19/crytek-announces-royalty-free-cryengine-licensing-subscription-plan.aspx

There is no smoke without the fireā€¦

Ryse 2 supposedly canned amid reports of Crytek financial troubles http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/24/ryse-2-xbox-one-crytek-cancelled/

Honestly - I am really concerned. I have backed a fair bit of money into Star Citizen. Going to do the same for Kingdom Come - Deliverance regardless of the outcome. :smile:

Personally - I think that CryEngine should be open sourced. But that is just meā€¦

if this is true, the company will be bought out, and engine likely to continue development, probably under same employees, unless all the talent jumped ship.

to me, i donā€™t think thereā€™s anything to worry about. engine isnā€™t going to stop working. and good outcome may be that crytech employees come work on kcd. and also, crytech stop making games. to me, a good outcome as well.

Since the talents will always leave the sinking ship (if theyā€™re not stupid), you wonā€™t see much innovation from this company so soon. The people donā€™t trust the management, so this will lead to people leaving the company, no matter if talented or not. Usually the big talents get direct offers from other well known companies. Even Warhorse got one of those talents in the team. I believe they could even get one for the open positions as Character Modelers.

Of course Crytek is trying to defend itself, yet the most annoying fact is the behavior of the management. Too much money spent on cars and expensive office items for higher positions while leaving some of the employees unpaid? Either youā€™re pretty untalented or really dumb, if you donā€™t leave the company in the next days and find a new job.

Crytekā€™s first step should be to close down the game studios. I remember that they had a medieval fighting game in production and now I donā€™t find anything about it on their page and even the press didnā€™t cover it much back then as there was not much information. So they cancel one game project after another and thatā€™s why they donā€™t get the money they need to pay their employees. I hope they really close down their game studios. Itā€™s a shame they bought Black Sea Studios back then. The studio couldā€™ve made a second Knights of Honor.

Iā€™m glad there is everytime some field expert who see inside every company including their finances and perfectly knows what everybody should do :smiley:

1 Like

I cannot advise on what should Crytek do in their current position (as i was never a CEO of any company) - but from what i read it seems that they overstretched themselves a bit too much + people are apparently already leaving(it was mentioned somewhere that Ā±100 in march (?) - but i know ā€œrumors rumors, do not panicā€¦ā€.

On what i can comment from my own experience is that the talents/gurus have really no problem to switch the companies really quickly - no matter how loyal/well paid they are, if they smell ā€œTitanicā€ or just ā€œno-futureā€ place, they jump and swim to some better place.

And even if Warhorse could get some of these people - it would again probably increase the cost (new not planned people ) and time (necessity to implement/fix something that was expected to be implemented by someone else ).

Letā€™s wait for some more news - hopefully the Crytekā€™s graphic engine team is somehow shielded from the troubles of the game dev teams/studiosā€¦

There goes that one: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/26/report-ryse-2-cancelled-amid-financial-woes-at-crytek.aspx

Been following this with interest and I would sum my feelings up as meh.

Far Cry was a superb achievement from a no-name house. They lost the plot immediately following that success and have been producing stupidly extended tech demos since.

Even if they had they focused on the engine instead of the bland rehashing of their original IP or that Crysis rubbish, nothing lasts forever. REDEnginge is looking superbā€¦

1 Like

they were going to do ryse 2, after what happened with the first.

wow.

who is making these decisions, are they sure heā€™s not secretly working for ubisoft or some other competitor?

Well, only think I like about Crytek is Cryengine. Looks nice, runs smooth.

Ryse was piece of extremely unnacurate sh*t, Crysis are for me atleast boringā€¦

They grew very quickly, 800 people in six cities is a lot. They probably wanted to be next Ubisoft, but they didnt ship any blockbuster. Crysis was nice in 2007, Warhead was even better, but after that nothingā€¦

They wasnā€™t the first studio investing big pile of money to one AAA game which turn into a piece of crap and financial problems. Anybody remember Daikata from John Romero? :slight_smile:

story still developing - http://goo.gl/CSLI14

I dont know about Warhorse but for Star Citizen this will not be a problem.
See the article in the link where Erin Roberts comments on the situation

ā€œWe did an outright buyout of the engine last year and have the source code, so while we hope all the noise about Crytek blows over, as they are great partners and friends to the project, if the worse happened we would be ok, as weā€™ve already branched the engine and have a large team that is adding features and supporting it every day here at CIG. So even in the worst case scenario we should be fine, but obviously we hope it does not come to that.ā€

Related: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/25/crytek-addresses-financial-problems-no-comment-on-hunt-or-homefront.aspx

It seems that Crytek might be able to suriveā€¦