[Rumors]Crytek going down? What then about CryEngine?!

Crysis and Ryse developer denies reports of bankruptcy

More text in following links as well -

Is the development safe/not endangered - in such situation?!

Or Warhorse is fine with what they have and they can finish it with what they have?!

Or it will be Mafia2 all over again?!

[UPDATE] our Star Citizen friends are also a bit concerned…
http://goo.gl/CXZqBe
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/153199/crytek-in-trouble#latest
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/153363/if-true-crytek-facing-bankruptcy-then#latest

Crytek isn’t definitely close to bankruptcy. I think that they have only financial problems, because:

1. Ryse: Son of Rome was really expensive project and it didn’t sell so well how they expected
  2. Crytek put huge amount of money to expansion of the company
  3. New games in development

Crytek has about 800 employees. If there would be some big financial problem they would start decreasing that number…

I worked for huge SW company ( different industry though) and they were still hiring new people just few days before it went to hell, so…

And also your 3 points might probably actually highlight why they would go down ( huge development & expansion costs…)

Not that I wish so, quite othe pposite

I think that after they will release their new games, which are currently in development they will have again enough money.

I’d be surprised if it had any significant effect on KCD.

Well I am not so sure, because Crytek makes new updates of Cryengine and also fix bugs in the engine. Warhorse should be able to finish the game without Crytek, but It wouldn’t be so good as it could be.

Why do you think so? Ok - IF they will go down - someone might buy technology and continue with some support, but even this transition might create some issues/delays for the customers with licenses.

Or there might be auction as in THQ case and nobody might pick-up the engine ( worst case scenario) and then… what?!

Well, how does the licensing side of it work in a case like this? If the company goes down, do the developers using the engine suddenly have no more access to it at all?

No they have full access to it but they won’t get any new technology updates,bug fix etc. from developers of the engine. For example if Crytek would go down, then in Cryengine wouldn’t be Mantle or Tress fx 2.0 support.

ryse was an abortion. i have zero clue why they shot themselves in the foot with that obvious failure you could see from a mile away.

Also - which engine would be then used for Act2-3?!

If they finish act 1 with cryengine, why wouldn’t they use it also for act 2 and 3?

Well - I presume that the current engine used for game that is planned to be released in 2015(!) would be somehow outdated when the next acts will be released ( 2016/2017?), even with some updates/bug fixes ( in case that crytek will survive)

You can expect somebody would buy engine and develop further. No problem.

Planned intervals between acts are 9 months, which means the act 3 will be released one and a half years after the first one… No way the engine will be outdated by that time. Moreover, how do you actually imagine it? That they’ll change an engine between acts and start to do the game from the scratch again? I’m even convinced they will use that engine for the next game after the act 3 (if it will be supported, whether by crytec or some succesor).

Just some late disclaimer - most of us are speculating probably about something that we know very little about + i wish all the best to both Warhorse & Crytek; but as they say - “expect best, but be ready for the worst” (or something like this :wink:
Also some people see graphics differently - some are still salivating when seeing Pacman, for others the eye-ball cutting razor edge graphics is not enough…

So - i do not know what is the lifespan of such (both supported or not-supported) engine currently - e.g. Rage(2011) and Wolfenstein(2014) are running on same engines and both are looking great

But i would expect that the current engine (in case of no substantial updates/upgrades) might look ok for act2, not so sure about act3 (again - from my own noob/personal view)

Of course it is also about the in-house Warhorse developers and time/money - whether they would be able to add/improve the graphics on their own…

To conclude/summarize

1. support from Crytek will remain same - no change in anything
  2. support from Crytek will be reduced (dev. teams cut down to “bare-bones”) - probably a bit worse graphics in act2-3 because of slower development etc., probably no big change for current act(?)
  3. some different company will overtake the engine - would bring some delays in graphics improvements/bug-fixes + time of managers to negotiate with this new company
  4. nobody will support the engine at all - i would consider it as disaster for act2-3, probably not much for act1

I still can’t see your point. Yes, there might be the worst case comes true and there will be no more updates/fixes for the engine. But so what? It was the same when Microsoft announced that XP won’t be supported any longer. Just because a “piece of software” does not get any updates anymore, it doesn’t stop working immediately.

Crytek currently is denying the rumors of it being bankrupt. And I personally don’t give a crap about rumors. Time will tell how the story ends. I, personally, find good graphics a “nice to have” but as long as it doesn’t look like some totally flat-looking textures like in Rage I’m also fine with that.

re XP comparison - customers were warned in advance + several upgrade options were available - so you could plan accordingly and not be worried much

and why i worry so much - apparently development of Mafia 2 was severally delayed by the engine change ( http://goo.gl/Z116Eu ) - when the engine developer went out of business ( http://goo.gl/6VwRJ7 )

Still a lot of XP users where like "oh crap, I didn’t know. what system shall i use now?!"
And again: Just because there are no futher patches, doesn’t mean the system can’t be used any more.

Why do you compare to Mafia 2 and engine change? Who said there will be an engine change? Rumors, nothing but rumors and fear mongering.

1 Like

Why would they change the engine? What you saying does not make any sense at all. Stop panic.