Season change in the future acts?

Snow like in AC 3 would be GREAT! :smiley:

I seem to recall an engine that had a modular layering system for seasons. Don’t remember the name and it was never used for a game but developers could build things like trees in parts and the game would handle loading in leaves during spring/summer, then dropping them during autumn and covering with snow layers in winter. That was more or less the only developed feature and I think they were bought out before making a game engine to go with it.
This is something that’s requested in EVERY open-world game though, there’s a reason it hasn’t been done (with the possible exception of The Sims 2 and 3.

And nevertheless it was done in AC3 and it looked totally awesome. The engine used is Ubisofts Anvil Engine …

Well, I dont see the problem im altering the textures and meshes when switching to a new act. Since there will be many changes in the world anyway, they could also realistically think about some season changing. :slight_smile:

That’s a good point, I completely overlooked the fact that it would be a separate world from Act 1.

Yes, but they also said that you’ll be able to travel between Acts, which complicate it a bit :stuck_out_tongue:

Not really. You can go back and play earlier missions in AC3, it just loads in the right models and textures for that worldspace. As far as chronology goes it doesn’t really make a difference, you’re going back to finish of quests you missed, not time travelling. You suspend your knowledge of having played later acts to replay an earlier one, like going back to play Mass Effect 1 after finishing the 3rd one.

Maybe it’s a looooong travel between the acts if there is different wether, but if its different with summer and winter then it will be a bit difficult as other people have mention

I don’t know why there shouldn’t be different seasons for the same map. In AC3 there were textures and assets for all seasons for all maps/levels.

Different seasons would also be cool for gameplay. Maybe you need more clothing in winter to stay and stuff… :wink:

I too would really like a change in seasons. We probably shouldn’t expect that in the first act but in the following acts I hope we get it.

They should build another tool, this time a layering system for landscapes.

As for the portrayal of the seasons & weather, here are my suggestions:

When you’re playing Act II, and let’s say it’s winter then, of course, it should be winter in the map of Act I, too, when you travel there. Even if Act I was originally set in summer. Just to keep consistency and therefore realism. Otherwise it wouldn’t just be wrong, it would feel outright stupid and you could take a look out of the window, that’s where your immersion has gone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately change of season between maps is more complex, than mere change of textures. It also means new life cycles for villagers and citizens, different animals behaviour and etc. From what I know so far, Warhorse will not be satisfied by mere change of textures, but question is whether it is worth to do all that for map with few additional questions remaining.

Change of season has impact on everything. I would be very surprised to see something like this. Don’t expect that.

Wait, why would the season of Act II carry over to Act I if you go back to it? Act I takes place before Act II. That would be like going back to Mass Effect 1 and wondering why Miranda’s not with you.

But really, who needs Miranda when you have Liara, amirite?

1 Like

Please, read more carefully. I wrote “map of Act I”.

The thing is, the story of Kingdom Come evolves in acts. We know that Act I is set in the summer of 1403. Some people argue that the next act takes place in Vienna, so let’s just assume this. Also, what if Act II is set just a few months later, in the winter of 1403? Let’s assume this as well.

Now you’re playing the campaign and need to go back to the county of Rattay (map of Act I) because it’s necessary for completing a given quest. By the way, it will be also possible to travel between the counties (maps of the acts) at will, at least that was officially stated somewhere (can’t remember where). Anyway, as the mission requires you to go back, you grab your bags, saddle up your steed and ride to Rattay. Since it isn’t that far away* only little time will pass, which means, it’s still winter. Therefore the map of Act I needs to be ‘repainted’ to fit the season. Of course, there is more to it than just a different set of textures. Weather effects, to name an example, have to be changed too.

Hope that clears things up.

Maybe there was no snow in winter 1403. Then there would be no reason for changing big things on the map.

Edit: BTW you can see some interesting weather animaiotns when they talk about the clothing system in one of the video updates. Look at the screen in the backround.

Still, there would be different weather and conditions:
cold, ice, frost, condensation (visible exhalation) etc.

Summer isn’t just winter without snow. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, thats right. Also: missing leaves…

another thing is seasonal food. According to the flowers in the livestream we are between mai and july. This means: the apple on the table is more than 6 months old. He looked to fresh…

If they could get seasonal effects in, I’d be very much up for it. Having to simulate several different sets of AI and world behaviour might be too time-consuming to design/program though so I wouldn’t be too upset if they decide not to.