Sleep/food mechanics

Is it just me or is the sleeping mechanics annoying in it’s current state? I mean I shouldn’t stop in my tracks just because I haven’t slept in a few hours. Also, how come Henry can’t sleep anywhere to restore fatigue? Under a tree? In the hay in a barn? On the floor?

I know that the food and sleep mechanism is there to increase realism but the way it is now it is mostly annoying. Henry should be able to go 3-4 days without food and at least 48 hours without sleep. Keeping track of the food and sleep gauges is almost a chore now and in my opinion it breaks immersion more than it adds to it.

3 Likes

Henry can stay awake for 2 days and starve quite long, but he would likely see dragons if developers would allow that. It was clearly stated that game won’t have dragons. So he can’t hallucinate. No way.

Serious answer: I think it’s discussed in multiple threads about time scale, finding safe way to sleep and even bug/performance threads already so it’s definitely not only you. And I agree that finding some hay or even grass and a tree to prevent getting wet from dew is enough when it’s not raining (I’m not sure about amount of blood thirsty animals except mosquitoes in 15th century)

4 Likes

Without the huge time sink of asking a single question tree it isn’t that hard to find a safe (and legal) bed, though they tend to be a short distance outside of the main villages.

Using high quality ‘inn’ seat/beds during the day to top up a rougher bed works too. (Starting with 100+% gives you more time to run etc rather than from a semi-tired state. You won’t die from 48 hrs of no sleep or food, but you will see a dramatic impairment to performance).
Avoid eating ‘short life’ food - the risk of poisoning is high enough to have convinced me to sell them off and buy new food each day where ever possible. (Or you can hunt hares, they are easy to kill and provide lots of meat enough to last for a day and still have some to sell once it gets too ripe).

1 Like

This is how I would like to see it work:

Henry can sleep basically anywhere flat. I doesn’t matter if it is out in the open or not. The more shelter he has (I have been sleeping under spruce trees IRL in both rain and snow and it is surprisingly comfortable) the less time he needs to regain his strength. If he needs to heal from damage he must find some sort of bed either in a house, tent or shelter.

I would also like to see the need for water introduced since that is more important than food. Then he could go longer without having to steal carrots. A water bottle could be filled almost anywhere but there could be foul water in some locations for added fun.

3 Likes

You haven’t been outside the fence have you? :innocent: There are some pretty large areas where there aren’t any beds. Besides, we want realism don’t we?

I’d prefer to see some sort of camp option. Henry should be able to carry a small pavilion or tent, with a bedroll within his horses inventory and essentially be able to set up camp anywhere within reason.

He could have a fire lit, and have a small cooking station as well. Which would theoretically increase the likelihood of bandits or Cumans finding and attacking you at your camp *so at least there’s an associated risk / reward pay-off

5 Likes

You have to find the line between realism and entertaining game… I know realism is a big part of KC:D but I’m worried that too much realism will takeaway from the enjoyment of it.

1 Like

Exactly. Medieval life was hard and dirty and miserable.

Has anyoone here tried to sleep on the floor? Let alone grass under open sky?
Don’t be stupid, sure you can sleep almost anywhere, it’s just that you will be more tired and will be able to barely walk, let alone ride or fight.

Just spend a night on the floor in your bedroom and tell us how you’re feeling, ok? Hopefully it will stop you from coming up with stupid suggestions in the future.

First of all, stop being a douche. “stupid suggestions” - Douche bag, 2016.

Secondly, think for a second, in medieval times, when someone needed to sleep, would there always be a bed within walking distance? Of course not.

Needing to find a real bed doesn’t make any sense, having negative side effects for sleeping on the ground, does. A lower quality of sleep could mean a bit less stamina until you get a good rest.

There should be a camping option, as @Earl_Thorn said. Like what you’ll find in the frostfall mod for skyrim. Finding a comfortable bit of dirt, and using some sort of bedroll would be a constant occurrence in this type of life, always wandering around outside, etc.

5 Likes

Travelling and where to sleep in the Middle Ages to the beginning of the early modern period was a funny thing and some excellent research has been done on it (I don’t have it on hand but I can get the reference for a good book on if pressed).

‘Camping’ as we know it today was not really done by ‘decent’ everyday folk. People did not carry around full backpacks with tent rolls and sleeping bag etc. like in a Tolkien novel. :slight_smile: Instead, they tended to travel light wearing belt pouch(s), maybe with a few belt-bag(s) and shoulder satchel(s), and (if they could afford it) wearing a cloak. Illustrations and evidence of full blow backpacks, though they do exist, during the period are rare and become more common as you get farther into the early modern period.

Generally, on main roads, inns (whether free standing or part of a town or village) existed within at least one day’s walking distance between each other. Further, if a traveller could not make it to an inn but came across a homestead, it was custom for the inhabitants of the homestead to let the traveller sleep in the hay in their shed or barn. If a traveller could not find a place to stay for the night, he/she would just wrap themselves in their cloak (if they had one) and sleep under the stars.

Only two sorts of people tended to camp: soldiers and ne’er-do-wells (like bandits and outlaws). Hence, camping out in the woods had a bit of a stigma attached to it. (You sort of see this in the Beta with the Reeky quest).

So as to the approach that I would like Warhorse to take, I would like it if the player could sleep in the following locations:

• Under the stars,
  • In someone’s shed or barn (possibly asking the owner of said shed or barn’s permission)
  • At the inns in town (it strange how we can buy food there but not have a place to stay at the moment. I hope it is a Beta thing.)
9 Likes

Then I agree, camping isn’t necessary, just the ability to sleep when you need to.

2 Likes

Of course I have. You haven’t done any military service, have you? Sleeping on the ground works very well if you are tired and you definatly don’t need a bed to get some rest. It doesn’t even have to be dry. Perhaps you should think twice before calling other peoples suggestions stupid?

4 Likes

That sounds completely reasonable.

I assume that the middle option might prove the most difficult to implement (or at least require the largest amount of work), so just providing #1 and #3 would be fine as well.

2 Likes

Adding a couple of lines of dialogue, and the ability to use hay as a bed (meaning just adding pre-existing functionality to a new item) doesn’t sound too hard compared to the other two.

Well, I was just wondering where was it legal for people to sleep back then? If I go in some random persons house and go to sleep wouldn’t hey have a problem with it or was there a different thought process in 15th century? Also, food spoils in like 12 hours. Not cool, as apples can last a couple of weeks in real life : / I mean, I can see it spoiling in 3-4 days for rpg elements, but when I need breakfast in the morning and it turns out that my food is rotten from overnight, I think that it would be safer to stay awake so I don’t spoil!!! lol

2 Likes

Well, I assume inns are already implemented and working.
Sleeping under the stars could be implemented with an item the player carries with him (the aforementioned cloak or a bedroll)
Both therefore shouldn’t be that big a deal.

Making hay into a bed-like item would then require to update all the appropriate places on the map. Then they need to be assigned to the right NPCs/integrated with the crime system), and for each the dialogue needs to be recorded (even if the lines are the same, the voices aren’t). Not impossible, of course, but definitely more work than either of the other two variants. But yeah, would be cool to have …

2 Likes

I have to totally agree here. It is far too difficult in the Beta to find a place to sleep conveniently than it should be. With the days being fairly short, and the nights being almost worthless for anything but sleep, I spend far too much of my play time running across long distances to a bed, only to waste the same amount of my precious daylight the next morning getting back to where I need to be. There absolutely must be an inn that rents beds for a few coin in every village.

Food longevity right now is absolutely ridiculous, especially since most vendors do not seem to restock food, but only continue to offer me the same rotten apples I sold them days before. Realism = good, tedium = bad! I can see things like baked chicken legs going bad in a couple or three days, but apples must last at least a week. Also, we should be able to have other foods that last longer–like dried meat (beef, pork, etc) jerky, or salted meat, and don’t forget dried fruits.

How about vendor cash? It is of very little value now to loot goods you don’t want to use yourself from defeated enemies, when the shop keeper has no money to buy that loot. My horse is carrying around an extra bastard sword forever now, since no shop seems to have the 70 grolschen to buy it. I could see a shopkeeper not having a ton of cash each day, but in a weeks time they should replenish enough to buy my ill-gotten weapon!

Some of these things, like running so far to sleep each day, take away far too much time from actual game play.

1 Like

You can “buy” reputation, bartering goods for less than their face value in exchange for what you need.

Cash is a relatively scarce commodity in some regions, cultures and classes - I’d not want there to be an excessive ‘wealth’ component in the early game (as it is in the Beta you can obtain fairly comprehensive equipment while amassing four hundred groschen only attacking/stealing from bandits - I’m not sure what the value of a few hundred Groschen would be (and there are some questionable prices (arrows cost less than the value of a broken arrow for example))… but it is currently ample to survive for many months for food.

i sleep at the inn in samopesh all the time…am i not supposed to?