Sleep/food mechanics

In my personal opinion I would like to see the time 1,5 or 2 times slower than it is right now. The Beta is too fast in my opinion but an 1:1 timescale would also be bad, because I can´t play in an 1:1 way, 24h a day. I would like to have at least one day in a game session or something. I don´t want to play for a week or so and still play the same day. It´s Kingdom Come Deliverance not Groundhog Day with Bill Murray.

1 Like

Umm. You would get exactly the same amount done in the same gameplay time. You could pass more time during reading/sleeping/eating & drinking (as an activity, not merely an inventory click)/talking/working/healing than the realtime passed over. You can wait for a few hours in a few seconds if you are where you need to be but early…

However, you can also get a realistic amount of travel/searching/fighting/hiding bodies done in a reasonable slice of time. AI can walk from their village to the pub and back without taking most of the night just walking… etc.

I still favour slightly faster than real time, because of the map distortion - but anything more than 2:1 would be too much IMO.

1 Like

Without having played the beta, I would still favour a passage of time significantly faster than realtime. Though perhaps not as fast as it is now. While it is true that one can always sleep or wait to speed up passage of time, there are also parts of the survival elements of the game that would suffer from time passing too slowly. Also, not to forget, travelling in former times was much slower than it is today, so the time scale should be put into relation to the distance that could be conceivably covered on foot (or horseback).

One issue I think that is present with the way time compression generally works in video games is that time always runs at the same speed, no matter what the player is doing. A fully voiced conversation for example is playing out in realtime (or slower, as we also need time to scan all possible answers), but gametime keeps happily ticking away at the increased rate. Same perhaps when opening the inventory or map (although some games pause in that event), or when engaged in combat. Balancing those actions with travelling is not always easy, but I think the more you have of the former, as in KC:D, the slower time should pass. OTOH, 1:1 or 2:1 timescales would mean I’d play a week before even one day in game has passed. This certainly does not feel right to me either.

Travel times for walking between Talmberk and Samopesh are less than half an hour at a modest walk. This is directly comparable to the real time passed in game, but this is over 7 hours in gametime.

I don’t think that modern man walks significantly faster, nor has slower horses than we do today, and the travel/distance aspect is significantly distorted by what we have now (or indeed anything but very modest acceleration ratios).

It takes the soldiers at the Merhojed camp over 4 hours to walk to and from the Samopesh tavern each night - (rather than the less than half an hour which would be a reasonable excursion).

I’ve personally walked 53km over around 8hours - a far cry from “barely 3km”

1 Like

Ok, that’s more extreme than I would have imagined. Google also says its just 34 minutes, but doesn’t look like the shortest route a pedestrian might take.

So yeah, with all the focus on realism, it simply doesn’t work out if NPCs are on the road for 8 hours just to get a drink. Really hope that’s going to be corrected for the final game, and if days pass slowly as a result, so be it.

Btw., quite a negative example that I played (fairly) recently in that regard was else Heart.Break(). Especially in the beginning, when the environment was foreign, it took literally the whole day to find a specific place that was basically just around the corner down the street. And when actually writing code, after leaving the terminal my character would often immediately drop uncouncious from exhaustion, because probably days of gametime had gone by while I was trying out different things.

Hi, a little while ago I wrote a lenghty feedback for beta, part of which was about the time in the game - not just scale to the real world, but also about realistic ratio between day and night, I think that this would make the game a lot better to have daytime like in the summer and not equinox… maybe some of my remarks could be useful if time in the game will still be tweaked…

1 Like

I have some good news here for you. We have this already implemented in our developer version. Even very very detailed exact dates for this now. We changed the daytime with sun rising and fall to the 19th of May 1403 for the georegion of rataje. :slight_smile:
The time of the day is now exactly as it should be. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be praised!
Great news for the usable gameplay time…keep up the great work!

1 Like

Fair point. Maybe 1:1 is too much, for some people at least, and I respect that. It should be much slower than it currently is though. So at least some agreement there.

1 Like

THIS!!! so much!!!

sublime, i think the same. Fights and banter should get a slower time scale so you dont feel rushed by the fricking sun.

Hi, so I saw this in the footage from Gamescom:

thumps up for the update of daytime model, but you got it a bit wrong - the clock is apparently using modern “summer time” :smiley:

• because the time of sunrise and sunset are always symmetrical to the midnight (that´s why it is called mid-night/půlnoc ;)) and therefore also to the noon - so it should be actually 4 am for sunrise and 8 pm for sunset. (you can check this for example in 3D max with daylight system tool - but “daylight saving time” option must be turned off as that is construct of modern era and does not represent movement of the sun on sky.

And while I am at this nagging:

• At noon sun should be at it´s highest point on the sky and on the exact south (btw that is the easiest way how to tell where south is - just watch shadows of vertical objects like trees or poles and when they are the shortest, sun is at the south)

• moon should be the same size on the sky as sun disc (that is why solar eclipse works) it is only 0,5° of the sky globe btw even though we often think it is bigger…

• full moon rises as sun sets because when moon is full it is opposed to the sun. At half- moon (exact “D” and "C"shape) the moon is 90° to the sun so it rises respectively sets 6 hours before/after the sun.

• when moon is only crescent - there should not be any stars visible in the rest of the moon disc, because it is not “cut out”, it is just not visible - so moon disc covers the stars…

sorry about the long and unnecessary post… :wink:

3 Likes

Good post, but I am not sure how easy it would be to change it again :smiley:

I guess that the change is needed only an the graphic of clock wheel… time should flow correctly in the game - cryengine has it´s own daylight system if I am not mistaken - it is just about how you “name” the hours…

Well, this could be true, but it could also be that in some quest some character talks about a precise time and then it would already be a big problem to the player.

that is in fact what “summer time” we use is…
When we move time at our watches it does not affect the sun, they just tell us that it is 1pm wen we see sun at south.

Yeah might be a problem - dunno how you solve dialogue related time… Though I read somewhere from one of the designers that they actually had to avoid quest like “meet me at 3pm somewhere” because at that time there were no clocks available and noone even cared about other time beside noon and sunset/sunrise. So they had to come up with different mechanics to tell players when to go somewhere…

Okay, I talked to the designers about it. And they say at 12 the sun is on the highest point directly in the south, but that the sun is faster in the morning and slower in the evening because of Ekliptik.
But I am not an expert here.

1 Like

hmmm… curious :slight_smile:

Doesn’t sound very right…

I really doubt that. If you look at the Yearly Sun Graph of Prague:
http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/czech-republic/prague
you can see, that Sun is not that faster in the morning to cause apprx. 1 hour of difference. It really seems to be a mistake taking wrongly summer time into an account.

In June the sunrise is aprx. 4:50 and sunset 21:10 and that fits into the circle presented. It should be sunrise 3:50 and sunset 20:10.
But this is also influenced by another modern era invention: timezones.

Proper implementation of Solar time would be really nice and I would say a must for realistic medieval game (one interesting note: the day does not last 24 hours according to the Solar time, but the lenght of the day differs during the year and to be really accurate “analema” should be taken into consoderation as well):

3 Likes