Sleep/food mechanics

Fair point. Maybe 1:1 is too much, for some people at least, and I respect that. It should be much slower than it currently is though. So at least some agreement there.

1 Like

THIS!!! so much!!!

sublime, i think the same. Fights and banter should get a slower time scale so you dont feel rushed by the fricking sun.

Hi, so I saw this in the footage from Gamescom:

thumps up for the update of daytime model, but you got it a bit wrong - the clock is apparently using modern “summer time” :smiley:

• because the time of sunrise and sunset are always symmetrical to the midnight (that´s why it is called mid-night/půlnoc ;)) and therefore also to the noon - so it should be actually 4 am for sunrise and 8 pm for sunset. (you can check this for example in 3D max with daylight system tool - but “daylight saving time” option must be turned off as that is construct of modern era and does not represent movement of the sun on sky.

And while I am at this nagging:

• At noon sun should be at it´s highest point on the sky and on the exact south (btw that is the easiest way how to tell where south is - just watch shadows of vertical objects like trees or poles and when they are the shortest, sun is at the south)

• moon should be the same size on the sky as sun disc (that is why solar eclipse works) it is only 0,5° of the sky globe btw even though we often think it is bigger…

• full moon rises as sun sets because when moon is full it is opposed to the sun. At half- moon (exact “D” and "C"shape) the moon is 90° to the sun so it rises respectively sets 6 hours before/after the sun.

• when moon is only crescent - there should not be any stars visible in the rest of the moon disc, because it is not “cut out”, it is just not visible - so moon disc covers the stars…

sorry about the long and unnecessary post… :wink:

3 Likes

Good post, but I am not sure how easy it would be to change it again :smiley:

I guess that the change is needed only an the graphic of clock wheel… time should flow correctly in the game - cryengine has it´s own daylight system if I am not mistaken - it is just about how you “name” the hours…

Well, this could be true, but it could also be that in some quest some character talks about a precise time and then it would already be a big problem to the player.

that is in fact what “summer time” we use is…
When we move time at our watches it does not affect the sun, they just tell us that it is 1pm wen we see sun at south.

Yeah might be a problem - dunno how you solve dialogue related time… Though I read somewhere from one of the designers that they actually had to avoid quest like “meet me at 3pm somewhere” because at that time there were no clocks available and noone even cared about other time beside noon and sunset/sunrise. So they had to come up with different mechanics to tell players when to go somewhere…

Okay, I talked to the designers about it. And they say at 12 the sun is on the highest point directly in the south, but that the sun is faster in the morning and slower in the evening because of Ekliptik.
But I am not an expert here.

1 Like

hmmm… curious :slight_smile:

Doesn’t sound very right…

I really doubt that. If you look at the Yearly Sun Graph of Prague:
http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/czech-republic/prague
you can see, that Sun is not that faster in the morning to cause apprx. 1 hour of difference. It really seems to be a mistake taking wrongly summer time into an account.

In June the sunrise is aprx. 4:50 and sunset 21:10 and that fits into the circle presented. It should be sunrise 3:50 and sunset 20:10.
But this is also influenced by another modern era invention: timezones.

Proper implementation of Solar time would be really nice and I would say a must for realistic medieval game (one interesting note: the day does not last 24 hours according to the Solar time, but the lenght of the day differs during the year and to be really accurate “analema” should be taken into consoderation as well):

3 Likes

And when mentioning “ekliptika”, I hope we will see the proper stars at night sky. Not only for the region, but also for the period, because the appearence of constellations during the year are changing and this is object of change during the ages (for example the sidereal zodiac in comparison to astrological zodiac).

But this is really minor nitpick:)

Hi, this discussion started to get a bit out of hand with later comments… I did not meant to start nitpicking call - I highly doubt that making irregular day length of day or moving constellations to match 1403 sky would have any influence on the game what so ever…

And I also believe that sun model is absolutely correct - systems for simulating sun movement are amazingly precise in software like 3D max and they even include mentioned irregularities during the year (I verified several sundials designs with this tool and it was spot on)

I played a bit with cry engine a while ago as well and it seems that it also uses some daylight system - so only “error” I see is the graphic representation of that on clock diagram.

But I think there is also possibility to tweak time in engine so it flows irregularly, really making sun go faster before noon and slower after, but I hope designers did not do that :wink:

On the medieval concept of time - I recently heard somewhere that they actually measured time in the very strange way back there - I was told that they always measured day as 12 hours from sunrise to sunset no matter if it was summer or winter - so the length of an hour (!) was different each day - summer hours were much longer than summer night hours and in winter it was the other way around and this changed only with invention of mechanical clocks… this information was not from some validated source so it might not be entirely true, but it seems to me that it actually could have been that way…

I will take a deeper look into this next week, because I think you are right here and probably our design team is wrong. Have to talk to them again. First we have to find out if it is really wrong, and if this is the case, we have to convince some people. If we are able to do this, then we can decide how to move on, how to change it.

Yep. Old Czech time. The Prague Old Times Square Clock tower actually has mechanical clock that shows this type of time. Makes lot more sense than daylight saving time in my opinion.

Wow, dobře vy!

díkz :wink:

Google translation (from german):
It was not until the 14th century, people began itself time to seize, created smaller units of time, invented the mechanical Clock. For the French historian Marc Bloch, one of the important medievalists of the 20th century, caused the former Advances in timekeeping an almost fundamental upheaval: The altered perception of time is not less than Bloch "One of the deep greifendsten revolutions in intellectual and practical life of our societies and one of the main events the late medieval history ".

To designate times, people said: "after the cock crowed “,” in the heat of noon “,” at dusk Darkness “,” after sunset “or” middle of the night ". In a Era in which almost all the countryside and agriculture lived, gave this rough time frame completely. It was different also not have been in ancient times, when the Greeks and Romans, although water meters knew, but lived the majority of people without accurate time information.

The number of religious holidays was considerably: Thought there was 70 to 100 hard days per year (not counting Sundays), or about two in each week. So much calendar data on the people a very concrete meaning. The day, however as an on findings astronomy based unit, as a measure of time in an abstract sense, freed
of concrete benefit or purpose - the interested farmers and their Families, nor they understood it.

The monks disassembled every day and every night at twelve exact same Sections. They understood by one day to the period at which it was bright, and one night, the time when it was dark. Thereby the hours vary in length depending on the season, a Day hour about lasted the summer up to 80, in the winter, however, only around 40 minutes. But in each case on 21 March and 21 September, when day and Night are of equal length, corresponded to an hour then one of our today’s hours.

To determine the sequence, the monks used a different timepiece:

Sundials, announcing the time of day with the shadow of a rod; Water clocks, which in a certain time, a certain amount of liquid from one vessel to another ran, and so the elapsed time has been detected; Oil lamp clocks whose oil consumption indicated each time elapsed; Candle clocks, in which the shut burning the wax certain time period.

End of the 13th until well into the 14th century also took place the Transition from the unequal length (temporal) hours today known equal length (equinoctial) hours.

*** The early watchmakers were innately usually blacksmiths, locksmiths or Cannon foundry. At the beginning of the 15th century described himself For example, a certain Pierre Cudrifin from Fribourg in today
Lorraine as “magister et bombardarum horologiorum” (master of Guns and movements). ***

In the second half of the 14th century spread the mechanical watch in the great cities of Europe. Wherein the majority of these Watches did not yet have two clock hands, but often only by a Hour hand and the sound of the bell the people the current time proclaimed.

I posted this last year. :slight_smile:

The source:

Should be okay… :wink:

2 Likes

impressive - most impressive!
thank you…

Okay, I have already seen that this issue would be more complex. If we change the time on the clock, there will be some mixed up with some quests, because some quests need to have exact times.