Staring to the Sun

Hello.

I spend lot of time in-game just admiring the scenery and I love the lighting so much. But one thing I noticed that Henry could stare to the sun without any problem which doesn’t seem much realistic to me.

Also there’s just big white area where the sun should be but we can’t see rays and such.

I’ve made small correction in Photoshop to show what i mean…

… or perhaps better - made video in IL-2.

In my opinion this could improve immersion of the world a lot (if it’s possible) as well as strategy in fight.

What do you think?

3 Likes

Actually I think that the current version is more realistic. You don’t really see the rays when you look towards the sun in real life. It is relatively safe to glance in direction of sun of short time, unless you are looking directly at the sun your eyes are quite capable to adjust. It is just not recommended and comfortable to stare there for long time.
You can see such effects only if you are looking towards the sun through something like car windshield or when sun shines through clouds.
We are used to see something like this in films on photographs (and subsequently in games) because camera is an imperfect tool that is much less adjustable than human eye. Also the camera lenses amplify this effect. The games often try to look like movies and that is why they use same effect as if they were filmed with camera.

3 Likes

Yes you are true about the rays, though you can see them a little even if you look at the Sun with bare eyes.

Anyway, srew the rays .-) The main point was that the Sun feels like point of energy in real life and even looking similar direction makes people cover their eyes or wearing shades - thats non present in KCD and thats why IL-2 uses the white filter when you are looking at that way.

Don’t question it, praise it.
https://media.dayoftheshirt.com/images/shirts/xrp8VvGKyrv4/teetee_praise-the-sun_1401660903.full.png

6 Likes

it is possible to see god rays in real life…
but only in some situations (e.g. between trees at sunrise with fog)
and only in some angles of own view.

But my own opinion to this…
At the beginning of the god ray century it looks very nice.
But in current Games it is too excessive used.

Yes thats why I choosed screenshot near horizont but as I wrote, rays werent my main point.

But rather that the Sun is strong source of light and looking at it simply blinds.

Personally I think the sun is damn near perfect. Im not positive but I believe its the one native to Cryengine.

You don’t see sun rays like that very often in real life (I stare at the Sun often) unless peaking from behind clouds or passing between tree.

However I do Like the dampening of light in you edit.

I wonder what it will like like in the end especially since they were playing around with the voxel lighting.

1 Like

Thank you and thanks all for responses!

The Sun is Warhorse thing - at least that was what I get from Jakub Holík speech at GDC last year which was about lighting.

I do think that the ligh is perfect, just have feeling that the Suns shape should be more defined when looking at it, especialy as near horizont as on picture. Though I overdone it a bit with those rays.

As for eye adapt - I don’t think eyes are that good (buy much better than camera) to be able to stare at the Suns direction and still see all the shades and colors normally. So, to me, black filter seems more logical than the white one that IL-2 uses. Though on the other hand, the white one gives the feeling of Suns power IMHO.

1 Like

shame the sun is not visible right now.

But from my sun staring experience the sun should be blinding. Problem is that IRL you will narrow your eyelids so the shining is less intense.
And that is why the black filter is on the spot I’d say.

But as to more defined shape of the sun, that is bit tricky.
The sun shape is visible only after a second of adjusting your eyelids otherwise you just see exactly what is in the game, but more intense.

1 Like

Great suggestion! I back you on this!

1 Like

@Wenceslaus

So the new lighting effects tickle your fancy? :grin:

2 Likes

Yes. I was just about to post it :- D

2 Likes