The Escapist under attack since 4am

somehow reminds me … all the saying: the revolution eats her children …

And I posted it elsewhere, but it’s extremely relevant after your post, tomtom-

Daniel knows what the equivalent will be for the games industry if this goes through. He lived it.

1 Like

I disagree.

When I say someone is a pussy because he busts out it can be absolutely casual and by intention non-offensive, but I plant the idea that people sporting pussies generally bust out. The other party doesn’t need to know what I think, all that matters is the result.

Same goes if I say someone is a dick because he acts blatantly ignorant, just by saying this I plant the connotation. Since it’s most likely already there I reassure this connotation. It doesn’t matter what I thought or intended when I did this.

Maybe to get away from all that sexist stuff:

Take the word “nigger”. The root of that word is the latin word “niger”, which means black.
Back in the days the word first was a mere description of the factual situation. The connotation however quickly became that of “slave”, or better “non-citizen” and ultimately “worthless person (for society)”. This happened through the mechanic described above:
every time someone wanted to point out that someone is by any means “worthless” he called him a nigger. You could even call white people a nigger (which is just from the roots total bullshit) and make clear that you think he’s not of any worth.

So this is clearly offensive. I know that. Even although I know that it merely means “black”, I don’t walk up to a black co-worker and greet him with “Yo nigger, what’s up?”, because he could be offended - and rightly so.

That’s why he can call me a white skin or whatever, because there’s no bad connotation with that (at least here, in south africa things might be different).

To be fair, I never considered the outcry to be worth it because these media outlets would change anything over it - obviously they won’t, for as long as it won’t affect their income. Why I consider it worth talking about and not ignore it at least for a while is to spread awareness amongst people. It sort of boggled my mind to discover how many people apparently believed media to be incorruptible and truthful sources of information up until now.

Other then that, yes, it’s as they say - vote with your wallet. And in this case, you granting clicks to those sites is that wallet.

Again, it’s not about the industry not being filled with fallible, corruptible people, it’s about ramping up to a whole different level of manipulation & propaganda. This 10-minute video (and as Sargon does, I’d highly recommend watching Alex’s whole presentation) highlights why this is so dangerous-

This isn’t just some random guy either. Alex is a front-man for the Gaming Morality Force, they want to make the entire games media nothing more than propaganda mouthpieces or a ‘Megaphone’ as another one of them said. Alex himself also believes so much in ‘integrity’ that he faked his identity to troll pro-GG people for at least 30hrs a week.

I think we agree here; this post makes me realize that I may not have been clear enough in distinguishing between “don’t hand ANYTHING to the sites and people that do this” and “just let it go”.

I mean the FORMER, not the LATTER.

Obviously the key to any socio-cultural issue is education, no matter what it is; that said, focusing on your immediate sphere of proximity is demonstrably more effective than trying to take on/convert/out-shout the media. Trust me when I say that if people really WOULD just quietly let their wallet do the talking, the media (any media, really) would fall in line faster than an alcoholic at a free, open bar.

Understand the relationship between your active presence in ANY manner at their sites and the benefit to their pockets (i.e., you’re actively supporting the continuance of the very thing you are attempting to fight). The Houston Chronicle (of all places) rand a series of articles that actually do a pretty good job of outlining the various relations in media.

I think if you read these, you’ll see what I mean when I tell you that very little short of actively ignoring any outlet that is doing something you disagree with is going to be effective (and even then, it only works if more people have the discipline to do this than not):

Now, if you’re noticing as you read these that there is an equally incestuous relationship between corporations and media, you’re right. So consider that for some media outlets, the support of a corporation ($$) will sometimes outweigh even the media consumer’s backlash. In these cases, one must switch targets accordingly.

Finally, if you prefer a TL;DR version of the relationship between media, advertising, and corporations, you’ll likely prefer this:

I just got thinking - Why dont we just ignore the people who are Anti gamer gate?

If they don’t get the clicks they don’t get the much needed ad revenue to fuel their site and thus bandwidth costs. Thus making them look elsewhere for revenue.

That said - Here are some alternatives to Kotaku and others.

Cinema Blend - Link

The Escapist - Link

Niche Gamer - Link

Total Biscuit - Link

Clicking on Links to site such as Rock Paper Shotgun, Kotaku, Polygon, etc. is the worse thing that you can do. It fuels their ads thus money for them. It is obvious that they are not going to change by their actions… So lets hurt their wallets.

That said - Buy the games you want to buy. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Form your own conclusions about a game through a demo or a free trial. Do not give into the press hype. That said - Do not pre order. Remember Duke Nukem forever? Remember Colonial Marines?

Yeah…

1 Like

they already are ignoring them in that way. but don’t mistake ignoring them with just flat out refusing to mention the issue and pretending that resolutions occur without any input or conflict of ideas.

and i have to say, any real information that hopes to establish context needs to recognize specific players and events. that will cause butthurt, strawmen, and angry response. there’s no way around it. trying desperately to avoid antagonizing them and looking like the bad guy means their censorship and coercion tactics have worked.

and again we see the paradox, how will we know of the issue without gamergate making the news? to paraphrase a great christopher hitchens retort, “we can’t all be smart like you, some of us need the news to stay informed” :wink:

a rebel, agitator, or “troll” is sometimes a valuable thing.

Now you’re getting it. Good for you! :smile:

I would rephrase that only slightly: “Pre-Order only from companies and games that are consistent in demonstrating they understand what you want and are working hard to deliver it.”

Pre-orders are always a crap shoot, really… but (particularly in the Indie space) there is no better way to prove to the investors or potential investors that “there is a market” and, for many these days, that IS a requirement.

1 Like

A thought-provoking introspective on the issue

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” or:
“Evil prevails when good men fail to act.” –Edmund Burke (1729–1797), Irish statesman

Yet the thing is, from the little I know about it: there are no “good people” in this conflict, on either side! It’s just evil fighting evil, idiots against idiots; Nazis versus Communists.

It would’ve been wise, Mr. Vávra, if you just completely stayed out of the controversy. I’m ashamed to tell to my friends about Kingdom Come: Deliverance because of your involvement in this scandal!

And Daniel Vavra is a nazi or a communist according to you? I’m sure you will show us all these terrible things that Dan has done or said that make him such a bad person. Or you won’t, and you are just using a fallacy guilt by association?

You should be ashamed of your own ignorance, not about Dan’s involvement in GamerGate.

I have used an analogy: A (GamerGate) is to B (Feminist video game journalists) as C (Nazism) is to D (Communism) to point out that this isn’t a “good or evil” thing – but just an “evil or evil” thing! My point is still valid.

Yes, blasphemy! Because the world revolves around video games and I should know what every game designer thinks and does! Maybe I should… What do you believe in, Mr. Vávra? @Hellboy Here you have a chance to explain yourself.

Well, no one forces you to listen what Daniel Vavra thinks. You can just unfollow his twitter, ignore this thread and problem solved!

And you might be surprised, but he leads a team of 70 people that creates a video game. I can’t imagine the workload, but I’m sure it’s huge, so I think I can easily say that his world for a big part really revolves around video games. Who do you think should comment happenings in the game industry if not leading game developers?

Ok, so you are ashamed that Daniel Vavra is involved in GamerGate, you make stupid exaggerated analogies about nazis and communists, and yet you don’t even know what are Vavra’s opinions on this matter? Now you should be ashamed of your comments even more.

First, I’m interested in this game, KC: D, and that’s why I’m here on this forum.

Second, read my comments carefully. I haven’t criticized Daniel Vávra personally, but only his involvement with GamerGate:

Siding with bullies to fight other bullies is just a no-brainer! If I would’ve been in his position or that of another game developer, I would’ve criticized both parties!

Third, since you say that I make

– read this:

and this:

Fourth, besides the fact that he has a problem with feminism (of which I’m not too sympathetic myself), Mr. Daniel Vávra hasn’t stated much about his political views and religious beliefs, if he has any (though, on the other side, not having a religious belief is a belief in itself), and I’m curious to know which these are, since they will undoubtedly influence the message of his game’s story.

Are you seriously trying to say that people involved with gamergate think that all women are for are raising children and staying at home? There are women with gamergate you know that right? Ill agree the feminists like communists are completely batshit crazy and just want attention but comparing gamersgate to nazis is absolutely ridiculous

They might not seeing how the story will be based around real events. Religion will obviously be apart of the game seeing how its 1400s Europe.
Also you claim gamergate is made up of bullies but ive yet to see gamergate shut down websites and compare people to ISIS and attack game devs and call all men who play video games sickos who love to rape and murder women.

I’m rather trying to say that people involved with GamerGate are for “excluding [women] from all positions of responsibility, notably in the political and academic spheres.”

There are also women with Neo-Nazis.

Yes, but what worries me more is: will the developers remain objective or will the representation of “religion” be distorted by their own views of it? The cleric (?) in the Live Stream @12:58 already seems corrupt.

Please provide quotes and evidence that gamergate thinks the only role women should have is staying at home raising children. Ill find plenty of feminists saying men are evil and should be killed and that we are all rapists and murderers.

I got one thing to say: Its nonsense and i dont care, we have more serious problems in this world then some trolls with few botnets and angry womens.

This game is about Hussites — try to find what Jan Hus did and why.

2 Likes