The issue of acurate historical clothing and how to implement it in the game

Hi everyone!

Hope that it´s not just I who care, and have some questions regardig the clothing in this game. One issue I would like to start of with is the fact that everyone seems to be wearing hoods aka Gugel in all sorts of variations, patterns and colors… This is as far as I know not very historicaly acurate at all, yes this headgear was extreamly popular in medieval times but juesus every guy in the game seems to have one! O.o Even the blacksmith(in the gameplay video) has a green, not dirty hood! Where is the simple gurgels, with no pattern or fancy two-colouring? As a historian with focus on historical clothing i see this as a big issue in the game. Do you guys agree? Anything else “clothwise” that any of you have reacted on? Shouldent the blacksmith be wearing a apron, be dirty, or anything! gahh. Let me hear what you all think! :slight_smile: Btw sorry for my bad english xD

4 Likes

I was wondering how much diversity each npc will have myself.

I think, the videos showed the game in a Pre-Alpha state, so you can’t expect to have everything implemented down to the last detail.

They have only three combat moves or something thus far. They will add things over time. This means weapons, clothes, crafting (mini games) and so on. And of course variants of each. So don’t worry.

Did you see this thread, it’s about clothing too:

2 Likes

So true, but dident you react that every single one of them seem to be wearing hoods? xD

Someone in the youtube comments called the blacksmith Kermit because of the green hood.
:laughing:

As Cerberus said, this is an Alpha version that they said was made to show what it will look like. They certainly didn’t have proper haircuts so they decided to hide them underneath those hoods :stuck_out_tongue:
And the low diversity of hood is caused by the same thing. Early development . :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is actually a good point. As a game artist though I can see them sacrificeing that small detail for the overall effect of your personal charactor, but i agree with you for npcs and the hair guy. Their hair was likely terrible to even look at. Its still alpha though.

Hats and caps were mandatory back in those days. Well not mandatory in a strict sense but they belonged to your daily outfit. I will include this in my post.

2 Likes

agreed with dushin. and why should kermit’s hood be dirty? he’s a blacksmith, not a mud wrestler. again, bad information and bad logic being applied

Well seems like a clumsy outfit for a blacksmith, why it should be dirty? Because he is a blacksmith, I want to see you stand around a forge all day and have a spotless hood xD

he doesn’t work with his head, he works with his hands :wink:

Yes as I said, ive just got a problem with the fact that they all have hoods xD Even the peasants have them, and that in its self is not wrong, but having all sorts of coulour combination, like yellow and black, on a random peasant seems like a bit weird to me. where are the more basic, no pattern, one coulor hoods, they where the common ones, not the fancy shit you see in the vidoes ;/

lol, All the sot and fire all day long, I think its quite reasonable that he should be more dirty looking but maby im wrong, just saying :stuck_out_tongue:

i don’t see peasants wearing elaborate hoods, only soldiers and nobles. and colored hoods isn’t some kind of privilege. you simply dyed the textile.

Some people got rich with dying in medieval times. I think it wasnt that simple.

Edit: Blue was maybe the most wanted color in medieval times. In the HRE the city “erfurt” got rich with this buisnes. They made it out of “woad”. Thats much work and high costs.

1 Like

Well that depends on the type of dye, some colors were more expensive than others.

Velvet red for example was a dye considered expensive and there is a reason purple is a royal color.

1 Like

Simply dyed xD lol have you any idea what you are talking about xD

you’re right, they used laser printer to put the colors on

1 Like

completely agree.
not to forget that the coif was the main male head cover (at least for married men and in hotter months), not the gugel. I love wearing a gugel when it’s cold outside, but I guess only max. 5 % here ever did wear a (mostly woolen) gugel in summer heat and know that one wouldn’t do that if he could choose…

EDIT- especially not with a hot forge in front of him :smiley:

1 Like

I have to say I would rather hate to see KC:D perpetuating the same stupid notions once again, that people ran around all filthy and dirty to no end, with all ragged and torn crap clothing in grey and brown and of the shittiest materials.

Clothing WAS expensive. Some Colours WERE expensive to dye in very brilliant and bright shades.

But in an age where clothing very much marked your status in society, where people treated you according to your outfit, and where clothing needed to last for a good time (not just for the poor but also the normal or well to do people),

NO ONE could afford running around like a bag of sh*t.

Clothing was made from the appropriate materials, in qualities that ensured a decent look and a long life of the garment. Sewing the seams and construction was done in a way that looked good and was durable. Damaged Items were carefully patched. And then as much as today, maybe even more, people apreciated colour. So affordable versions of colours were widely used.

A deep black was, contrary to hollywood and myth, actually a terribly difficult colour to dye. And whilst woad blue and scarlet red were very expensive, there were not-quite-as-brilliant-or-pure-but-still-pretty-but-much-cheaper dyes for red and blue and other colours.

And whilst people often were not as squeaky clean as we think of ourselves today, they did recognise that clean things look better and are more comfortable, and kept their clothing ‘clean’.

I am tired of Clothing in Fantasy Games being utterly nonsensical, against any function and of such coarse materials and construction, that they’d fall apart within hours of putting them on.

As per hoods: well they are terribly warm, but I trust War Horse will implement a vast selection of other headgears. There are even, I believe, many diffrent and interesting ways to wear a gugel, like a hat e.g.

LAst bit: patterned edges etc are terribly simple to make. The most standard fabric used was wool, and any wool of a decent quality (most of our modern wool fabrics are far too thin) hold a raw edge, i.e. wont ravel when cut. So simply cutting a patterned edge is barely any effort. You dont need to make a difficult patterned lining or binding etc.

And quite often the pattern was a piece of iron, almost like a chisel, with which the edge was cut using a hammer. Simple, decorative, cheap.

1 Like