Time flow - fast travel, waiting, sleeping

I think you should be able to sleep in order to pass time. Imagine this, you order a sword and the blacksmith tells you that it will take 3 days to make. What do you do? I know I would personally wait in place for 3 days out in the rain and the cold until it’s done. I honestly don’t want to have the option. So I would vote no to waiting but yes to sleeping.

Also with the tiredness bar, I vote on my own thing. If you sleep for 8 hours let’s say, you get a stamina regen buff on 5% or something similar. after 10 hours the buff disappears, then after 5 hours again you get - 10% stamina regen or something similar.

And no to fast travel. If I get the option I will just miss-use it :confused: Anyone played Skyrim with the ScenicCarriages mod? Basically you don’t get taken to a screen and ported but rather you sit on the carriage the entire way while the guy “driving?” gives some fun facts about the area etc. You can also be attacked by bandits while on the carriage. Also isn’t the KC: D area pretty small? I don’t think fast travel will be that necessary ^^

1 Like

It makes more sense sleeping 3 days straight than assuming that your char does whatever while your screen fades to black after you press “wait”?

Regarding the game design I think I am bit confused.
From the info we have I don’t think that the game will be constructed as a sandbox. It will be an open world, means that we can go every where we want at any time. Not a sandbox, because I guess we will be dependent of the story progression like in Mafia 2 and we will not create our own story like Mount and blade or Minecraft.
But this only some guessing.
So I am not sure if like Mafia 2 the story will be time scheduled so that the game will ask us to go to sleep in order to access the next bunch of quests.
My guessing are based on the fact that it was announced that the game duration will be max 6 month, so the whole story must fit in this time.
That why I cannot see how they can design a game like Skyrim with a natural circle of night a day (even if the time scale is redured), because on Skyrim there is no time limit on the story.
If you compare Skyrim and Mafia, I guess both systems have there advantage and inconvenient.
Mafia immerse more the player because the story telling time basis is more accurate.
Skyrim gives more freedom, but we cant really feel the main story because it not related to any sense of time (like between 2 main quest we can spend months by killing rats or doing other things few important thing for people in order to level up and we never feel the urgency and the drama of the story)

Sure a sleep/wait function could be useful but i’m not a great fan of fast travel anyway. Would be nice to have some options regarding time ratio and realism when we are going to start a new game, the more are the better is.

It will be an open world, means that we can go every where we want at any time. Not a sandbox, because I guess we will be dependent of the story progression like in Mafia 2 and we will not create our own story like Mount and blade or Minecraft.

I hope that, once the storyline is finished, you get more freedom to roam the countryside and do what you want. It wouldn’t be the first game to do so.

Overall, this game reminds me a lot of Gothic (which is good), except that without fantasy, and first person camera. They both are open world but not exactly a sandbox.

Yes sure I guess we can still free roam, but to do this with still interest you need to have some contents, like having a job or still interesting random quests coming and also seasons, if you plan do free roam more than 4 month.
But I don’t think that this is the priority number 1 from the devs. I guess they will focus to give us a nice story.
But may be I guess wrong

i really do hope they don’t add fast travel

1 Like

I agree with you, in realistic RPG I wouldn’t use waiting or fast travel because the world would be so immersive, but I would still have it in the game for players who just want to get their quest done.

That -is- a form of fast travel, just well integrated into the world. Fast travel doesn’t necessarily have to be ‘Click on map to get there’.
Wait, did I just ressurect a topic from february? How on earth did I even find it? … Sorry.

I would like to be able to dream when sleeping - floating effortlessly above moonlit landscape or riding into starry sky. I would like to see the face of my distant sweetheart and the faces of my dead parents whispering to me with kind and reassuring words, but then there would also be ghostly images of tartar riders burning and plundering my village, grim knights riding off into battle… Dream sequences that lack a clear explanation and seem like a window into past or as omen foreshadowing future events

1 Like

not sure if trolling…

Dream sequences with a limited control shouldn’t be difficult to create - for floating you would only need to change the lighting and camera angle over an existing map, play ambient tune, do some overlays with some additional images. You really don’t remember floating dreams from your childhood?

1 Like

For me it is a brillant fresh idea, but I guess they will not implement it

sleep is the same as wait, just embedded into the world - same relation between some cart travel service to point and click fast travel.
In general, both underlying principles are useful and depending on the rest of the game design probably needed to prevent user frustration. I for one have no intention of watching my character sleep in whatever time scale.
Ideally, the story and quest design leads you from hub to hub and doesn’t produce too many occasions where you would use fast travel. The same for sleep to bridging waiting times, if you have enough to do it might be not necessary to just wait in some spot just because it is the next thing on your todo list.

Another way to make people more comfortable with these functions is to make them more than just simple meta functions with a threadbare cover story.
For sleep you could create random events/disturbances fitting the place you went to sleep in frequency and severity or use something like the above mentioned dreams in some form or other.
For travel routes,let them be diverted, stopped, attacked by bandits … make some quests out of it etc.
It would give a more living feel for basically convenience mechanics.

Regarding time, I have just one wish: That there will be no time count…

For example, Skyrim was counting time even after end of the storyline so it didn’t motivated me to continue playing. Also, I always tried to get throught the game as fast as possible, without much sleeping and so on… Just to get the lowest number possible. What if there was some “achievement” for it (another reason why I hate steam btw). :sunny:

Fast travel is okay feature for me, although ‘by horse’ or ‘by foot’ travelling should be prioritized by Warhorse. There must be some ‘show’ going on the roads anyway, like brawl, bandits, hunters, marching military units, children playing, road-works, whatewah :slight_smile: Each time discover something new…

Do you know that
a) you can disable in-game achievements and ignore them altogether
b) you can check all the game’s achievements beforehand to see what do they track

And why would you try to finish the game as fast as possible just because saves print out time played? You do realize most games track stuff like chances to hit, hit locations, distance travelled etc. - don’t put arbitrary limitations on yourself if you don’t enjoy them, that makes very little sense.

Uhh because there are quests that require a calendar.

I was searching for such topics, and I must say that following my small experience on the beta, the time used to wait and sleep is really to long …

Besides this, I really like the game, well I love it, espcially also because I also doing reenacment myself + that RPG well, I am in love… except when I have to sleep in game :smile:

This will be way shorter in the final game, don´t worry. :slight_smile:

1 Like