Have you guys seen the map size?!

There’s two types of people in this world…
“It’s too small!”
“It’s on the inside what matters!”

You know, if you replaced “map size” with “dick size”, i’d be very worried for some of you.

1 Like

Actually, Dan said that there will be more than one map.

Not in Act 1. It was about next possible acts.

The question is, how big is Act 1 intended to be? Like a chapter? A full game? In other words, 3x3 map intending to get 10 hours of gameplay out of it, good. 3x3 map for 100 hours of gameplay, maybe not so good.

Haha the comments are hilarious! “Size doesn’t matter”, “As long as it’s big enough!”, “What matters is how Warhorse uses it” etc :´)

Just hold your horses, we will have to judge once we’re in the game :slight_smile:

depends, 100h hours might be realistic if you get thrown into a cell after a rather bad choice in a quest dialog and have to spend there 100h (without wait or sleep function, ref thread on wait and stuff ) until you are released - then even a 3x3 m map would be sufficient. :wink:

in other words it depends…

I’ll simply say that the size of the map isn’t as important as the quality of content and immersion built into it. I personally am happy with the map size that Warhorse has announced and it looks like it will contain well researched castles and a large score of villages. Who knows what other inns, caves, bandit dens, hermits, or whatever else may be in encountered. Overall I think everyone will be impressed with the finished product.

1 Like

It has been said in one thread about map size and I even quoted it in another thread about map size, so i’ll do it again for those here who haven’t read it and are still somehow concerned about map size.

And for those that asked about lenght of the gameplay, it should be at least 30+ hours, which means it’s as it would be stand-alone game. Acts II and III should bring 20 more hours each.

2 Likes

Map size like in Fallout is just my cup of coffee. Not much compresed, not too big with unreasonable amount of empty places.

1 Like

Map size is a question about genre and camera modes!

As you can see on the posted map (link)
Just Cause 2 has a complete other feeling about map size
because you play in third person view.
Oblivion is ony 16x16 mi² but it is based on a first person camera mode.
So the world feels larger in first as in third.
Same with a GTA:SA map size and Crysis level scales.

Oblivion has the same feeling about map size with his first person
like Just Cause 2 with his third person!
Mostly a seeing of sight (or call it FOV) or visual^^
another good example about map size feeling is Halo with his 3rd Person Hack tools

lol true that!!!

Perhaps they are focusing more on more important things at the moment?

Hello all, noob here. Can someone enlighten me as to where the map image is??

Also, look at TES Morrowind compared to Oblivion and Skyrim. MWs map is the smallest, but thanks to good scaling and handcrafted environments/locations/towns/events instead of generated as in Oblivion and Skyrim, it feels like the biggest and the most “complete” world of those three.

Thanks Freix :slight_smile: Doesn’t look all that small to me for an Alpha area.

It should be a map of the Act 1 area. In alpha you would get one small settlement (Samopše) and perhaps surroundings.

And I am good with that. I see projects, that keep expanding land mass, beautiful empty landmass, while not taking care to let the project/landmass/state of development grow in unison.

Morrowind’s map is a perfect example of Dan’s “potato landscape”: There are ravines and steep slopes everywhere: Almost every journey involves some rather significant detour because there are mountains in the way of everything. Create some boots with constant Levitate and you’ll be almost anywhere in a matter of minutes (if you’ve modded out the cliffracers…).

And that kind of landscape does work because of Morrowind’s setting: Vvardenfell is a volcanic island, which explains the extreme segmentation of the game world. It also adds to the “weird”/“strange” vibe that sets Morrowind apart from the other games in the TES universe. It also helps mask (in conjunction with Ash Storms and fog) the then-very limited draw distance of the engine. Which in turn helped the world to appear bigger than it is.

Real landscape, however, is much more open (unless you’ve got some serious mountains going): Rolling plains, vast forests, huge rivers and bodies of water, and so on.
And that was the first thing I noticed about KCD: The scale of everything… fits: The roads feel like roads, the forest like a forest, the houses like houses - they do not convey the miniature-like appearance as every other video game. They feel real.
Take rivers, for example: Even the smaller ones are often more than twenty meters wide. When have you last seen such a river in a game? I would wager: Never unless it was used as a boundary for the playable area. Usually, “rivers” and “streams” in games remind more more of minuscule rivulets. I haven’t yet seen a river in KCD, but I would not be surprised if it was a vast stream, riding into which would probably sweep you and your poor, trusty horsey away.

3 Likes

there are rivulets in kcd, but also proper wide rivers as seen in video footage :smile: