Update on Kingdom Come

So it’s been almost 3 weeks since the kickstarter ended… no new updates. Website still doesn’t have a shop. What’s going on @warhorse ?

1 Like

You feeling a little Forgotten :stuck_out_tongue:

I imagine updates will be much further between at this point. They need to get down to the nuts and bolts of making the game. I’m thinking there will be a few month lull with maybe some blog posts from Dan V. When we get closer to alpha the updates, and activity on this board, will pick up.

2 Likes

kickstarter was a long and very nice campaing…and they need now time to work again on game time is running…so I believe… not so many update but proper progres in making the game

I know they are working hard… I guess I’m just too excited for this game to come out. I just want to know what they are up to! lol

I was experiencing a similar sense of withdrawal for another game I backed last year. There were virtually no updates, and it almost seemed as if they weren’t working on it. Then just today they released a video of what they’ve been doing, and it looks INCREDIBLE. I was blown away, and I got all my excitement back again!

What I’m saying is that some developers give lots of updates, and some don’t, but the important thing is that they are hard at work making a great game.

As for this game, they said they would give us a playable build in “about six months,” so I am setting my expectations there and no higher. If they give us regular updates, all the better… but if they don’t, I’ll be looking for that build in July, and I’m OK with that.

1 Like

Personally I would like to see one update every month or two, composed from the department lead’s account of what was achieved, what works, what didn’t work etc (as Dan says, brutal honesty ftw)…plus occasional video every once in a few months.

I guess they don’t know how to deal with the amassed wealth :wink:

They said they’re currently hiring and this also means job interviews, work in new team members and the like. I just got to know the PR manager of Warhorse, so I guess they’re working hard to deliver you something noteworthy through new positions.

I’ve backed a lot of kickstarters and it’s absolutely common that updates are released almost on a daily basis during the campaign and that shortly after they are funded the frequency drops to one per month or even less. Making a game demands a lot of attention and as a project leader you have to choose between frequent short and informal or infrequent long and elaborate updates. Most choose the latter and in my opinion rightly so. I prefer reading a long, memorable update in opposite to many little bits that are difficult to keep track of and be pieced together to a bigger picture of the process.

On the other hand once you stick with the big updates, I’d imagine it’s difficult to find the time for them. It’s not like you can just write random stuff and throw in some pictures. You need a concept and structure and it can become quite a chore.

@bdo7 what project did you back? if I may be so curious…

I know that is maybe common to not have updates for a long time, but why is the shop still not up yet? I mean it’s something that they need as soon as possible to continue to raise money and to add the stretch goals. Updates like those are already more then exciting. They don’t have to show anything about the game until the alpha release but come on…

And errors like: OAuthException: Error validating access token: Session has expired on Mar 14, 2014 2:17pm. The current time is Mar 15, 2014 7:34am. should not happen. It gives the feeling they are chillaxing on the pile of money they received

2 Likes

I’m not concerned - I imagine they’ve got their noses to the grindstone, though a simple ‘hard at work!’ update wouldn’t hurt.

Yeah, this isn’t a good look, especially as it’s on the front page of the website. Not exactly reassuring to new people looking to back.

This is actually pretty standard for Kickstarter projects - there’ll be a blitz of updates during the campaign, but after it’s ended, you’ll get one a month at most. It can be hard to adjust, yeah, but it’s because the devs are busy making the game rather than promoting it. The only thing that really surprises me is that they haven’t opened the Paypal store yet.

This is a pretty advanced site in web development terms. I know they’re using discourse for the forum but I don’t recognize the main page design, so it’s possible that it’s entirely self made.

The session expiration error refers to the embedding of shared content from warhorse’s facebook page. Just in the case that anyone of you wonders what he/she’s missing out on. :wink:

If you think they’re ‘chillaxing’, you should probably try yourself on debugging a website of this quality, let alone a game. :smile:

Cheers to the guy or gal who’s tailoring this site.

Well, I’ve backed a few, it’s getting to be an addiction… :blush:

But in that case, I was talking about Satellite Reign. It’s a “spiritual successor” (i.e. a sequel without the legal naming rights) to the old Syndicate games. They did a total of 5 updates since the end of the KS back in July, and the last one was more than a month back. The content of each update was pretty anemic, too… one or two concept drawings. Their Web site looked dead. Then all of a sudden, this pops out of nowhere:

So obviously, they’ve been really busy behind the scenes… they just haven’t been very energetic about showing their work as they go. Each studio apparently has a different philosophy about what to share and when. Star Citizen has really spoiled me, points of contact occurring on an almost hourly basis (no exaggeration, if you count all the forum posts made every day by animators, writers, artists, and designers).

Yeah, tell me about it. :smile:

Satellite Reign looks nice, didn’t see it when the campaign was going on. It’s so easy to miss good projects, but so far I’ve managed to get on board of any kickstarter that I wouldn’t have forgiven myself to miss. Except maybe Wasteland 2, but at least I’ll get a key for it with my Tides of Torment pledge.

€dit: I’ve opened a thread to talk about other kickstarters, because I feel I have a bad habit of hijacking other threads. :wink:

I like when they update it every month. What I don’t really like, because I’m impatiant or because I start thinking other things like “What are they doing lately?” is when they don’t update it regularely. I really wish they would, even if it’s only. Hey guys, we moved, or we still are moving please be patient for the next update, but nothing is too cruel!

… psssssssstttt I will tell you a secret… because of the Gamescom in Cologne we couldn’t work on it earlier, but we’ll do a video update today and release it probably till Friday… but don’t tell anybody! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

… psssst okay. (Very quietly) how was it at the Gamescom? I hope you guys found more followers and some publishers/ what ever you were looking for :slight_smile: I won’t tell anyone

hmmm let’s say it was disappointing and interesting at once. But next year we want to have our own stand. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope I wasn’t the disappointing part of the Gamescom… :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah it was disappointing for the general booth setup, as it was so damn generic. Every AAA title had its square booth with 10m high walls and to wait an hour just to play 20 or so minutes??? Sorry, not really interested in that. So I played the stuff, that was available for public and I had my fun with some indie devs. I also hated the noise some booths made for nothing, like AMD or Battlefield Hardline, which was like an earthquake created by the hammering bass of their PA system.

And if someone from Ubisoft (Germany) reads this: Tell your guys how to enter the gamescom halls properly. They should not fill the narrow space of the press and trade visitors in front of the gates that were yet to be opened.