Update time people!

I don’t really know how a console gamer could argue that their hardware/software is better than PC’s. It’s inherently always going to be behind. The only arguments that can be made is convenience, not needing to upgrade year after year, and price.

I think ports with the PS3 and X360 were obviously to the detriment of PC gaming. But for PS4 and X1, I don’t think you will see these “traditional ports” anymore. It will be the same game for all, just the PC can turn up the dial on several things.

The issue with the latest console generation isn’t the fact that it is inferior due to having been released awhile ago, but the fact that it was released already woefully underpowered. I’m a huge fan of consoles, but I won’t buy something that is at release already overwhelmed by a computer I built 2 years prior on limited funds, lol…

2 Likes

Most TVs are typically 1080p. The larger the TV set at that resolution, the worse the picture will look. I have a 70" 1080p set, and I sometimes regret having a TV that large that is not 4k, as the picture on a 55" 1080p set looks much sharper, due to the much higher PPI.

This situation is worsened if I compare against my 27" 2k monitor, which is going to look much sharper due to the closer proximity and much higher PPI.

So for me to truly enjoy gaming on a large TV now (despite the visual distance, as I’d have to be over 15’ away from my TV to not notice the visual decline), I need a large TV that supports 2k/4k/8k. Yet “next generation” consoles struggle to even output 1080p resolution.

I think the only option here, is to game via Steam In-Home Streaming, or else Nvidia Gamestream. Consoles simply cannot deal with the technological requirements that exist right now (and in the near future when most TVs being sold are a minimum of 2k).

Not sure where you are getting the idea of a pc elitist crowd, I am a pc gamer, and while it is good the company is releasing the game for consoles, the superior version should be for pc as there are factors involved such as 4k resolution, 60 fps and we can use controllers as well. What bothers me is when games are held back because of consoles. This happened with watch dogs.

2 Likes

I use a 40 inch 1080p tv on my pc and I sit up close and sometimes at a distance r depending what I’m doing, if I’m watching Netflix it’s my entertainment center, if im listening to music I have my sound card and Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound, if I want to improve visuals I can choose my resolution or monitor. I’ve had my computer since 2012 and all I’ve upgraded is a video card and I’ve run everything maxed out, I made back my investment selling my old video card.

2 Likes

the ps4 and xb1 are inherently inferior, computationally, so the reason that happens is because most big publishers and triple a devs do limit themselves in terms of how complex and visually detailed the game is in order to have a uniform experience across the platforms.

when you develop solely for pc, or develop for pc as the main platform, these issues do not exist. the only downfall is that the console version may have to be limited to what they can handle if the devs decide to port over to console. it all depends on whether devs want to do uniform, downgrade, or upgrade. upgrade option is the worst as it takes double work and usually porting from console to pc, so computationally and technically less impressive

1 Like

i love how the console player say gaming computers are expensive when they sit their with a xbox one £300 and a apple mac £2000 when i have paid £500 less and got a system that shits on both of them systems in every sense and is still £500 cheaper

3 Likes

you all do realize that developing for PC ends up being more expensive? because of the very fact that you have to develop for a large range of hardware and different configurations. yes, i can make a pc that is superior to a console in every way… but as a developer i can’t guarantee this. with consoles, whether you like it or not, there is consistency across the board with them, they all have the same hardware, same specs, same controllers, same output connections, etc. I’m not advocating for one or the other, I play my PC as much as my PS4, but to go around shitting on consoles is just a lack of knowledge about how they’re developed on. Plus it is far more difficult to crack a console game and pirate them, so there’s a lot less money lost in console development. plus with an install base that’s rather large at this point, from a business stand-point there are metrics that can determine rough ballpark figures for how many units of your game will sell. also, apples to apples, if you had to build an ENTIRE computer from the ground up, that has comparable specs to either of the new consoles, then you will be spending more than $400. motherboard, cpu, ram, hard drive, graphics card, keyboard, mouse, hdmi cable, power supply, fans, blu-ray disc drive… there might be a few components i’m forgetting but those are the major ones that are absolutely necessary. to make a fair comparison you have to buy all of these things, because that’s what all is included in the box when you spend $400 on a ps4/xbone. i love my pc, it gives me great joy, but i spent around $1000 on it. and yes, it is capable of things better than a console, but because i paid for it.

also, @TheDivineInfidel, from what you said you spent 1500pounds on your pc rig, and it shits on both the xbox one and apple mac. which sounds about right, mac’s are overpriced. but you’re also stating the obvious, you spent 5x the cost of the xbox one, you should get better performance out of it. spend 300pounds putting together a COMPLETE pc and get back to me on the specs, i would be very curious. once again, i’m not trying to shit on anything here but when console vs pc arguments come up, i often see the argument swayed one way or the other without the proper thought for how the comparison is being made, or the business implication to the developers, or the pirating community that exists mainly on one and not the other, etc. i just would rather see us gamers take a huge step back and realize there’s a time and place for consoles, for pc’s, and for a large number of us BOTH.

1 Like

That would be 450 U.S dollars. You can build a budget build rig that would out perform the ps4 and xbox one. Google pc budget builds.

1 Like

Dear god man I have no idea what you’re on about would have read your post but it’s a giant blob please use paragraphs, makes people more inclined to read what you say.

3 Likes

Why would I have to spend 300 on a pc then get back to you when I already have a rig that plays every game on top setting

1 Like

I can tell from this sentence alone that you don’t own a gaming pc. Most people who own consoles always say during a pc console debate “oh i have a pc its 1000 dollars but i like my ps4 better”.

1 Like

yep. telltale sign. that argument was popular in early 2000 when gaming pcs were really that expensive. but if you’re spending 1000 dollars in the past 5 years on a pc, you’re either getting scammed, or you’re just blindly buying the most expensive thing you can find. which is stupid.

1 Like

I always thought that consoles slow down the advancement of the gaming industry. But in one video mr. Vavra offered a pretty good counterpoint - he said that making a game for both consoles and PC pushes developers to code as efficiently as possible given the consoles’ limited resources. If you think about it it’s an interesting argument - if there were no consoles at all the games might actually look worse on decent PCs, because nobody would optimize them to such high degree.
I also admit I’m a bit tired about the whole PC/console drama… First read about it some 10 years ago and it still seems to be going strong.

2 Likes