Voiceovers, accents and archaic language reply

Continuing the discussion from Poll: Voiceovers, accents and archaic language:

I’d say use modern English in NPC with player dialogue, and Czech (or German, i don’t know what language was spoken at that time in Bohemia) between 2 NPs with English subtitles (like seen above heads of female and male NPCs arguing in that last video update).

I don’t know how to reply within same topic btw :stuck_out_tongue:

You need to be backer to reply in other categories than Off-topic.

2 Likes

Hi there i did reply on Facebook… but for the life in me i can’t find my post to repost here… weird

1st off… not in American… i did see a post from an American on this thread and he said the reason why better than i ever could. and one point that steers me away from being able to accept American accents is America didn’t exist at the time this game was set.

What is international English? there is only one English and thats the one originating in England… to be fair american english is more or less identical but they pronounce and spell thing slightly different for instance words like colour (english) color (american) and words like realise (english) realize (american) the list goes on

i think full blown Shakespearian is a no no. at school we studied shakespeare and his writing and dialogue are so archaic that each reader has their own interpretation of the language far too confusing plus shakespearian writings and language wasn’t how people spoke then it was a theatrical language heavily elaborated upon. so i agree with a lot of people that Shakespearian would be highly confusing even for English people like me.

The second option is more like what it should be for me. but not international english and I’m unsure what you mean by this. do you mean a hodgepodge of different english accents so for instance american, uk, australian etc… if so that for me is too eclectic and would spoil the immersion of the game.

I think it should for english players be voiced either in English (UK) maybe choose a regional accent works fine for Game of Thrones where the Northerners are portrayed and voiced by my native dialect of Yorkshire though it is very loose but very distinctive.

i do like the idea that any foreigners to the story should either be voiced in that language with subtitles e.g. latin

but i also like the idea that the game could be voiced in english for uk/us market but spoken in an Czech accent… that would be really good for immersion.

Solely in Czech would be very limiting for international gamers and reading subtitles would be hugely distracting.

What ever you choose i am sure you will make the correct decision. but for me i boils down to story, character, dialogue, actors, delivery.

The storytelling and quality of voice talent needs to be second to none each and every word needs to be correct and spoken in a believable manner, you need to employ an english speaking casting director for each language you will be recording audio for, also would recommend the same for script writers for the dialogue to ensure the quality of language used… i have not played the game yet to my shame as i don’t own a windows pc at present but sometimes the dialogue seems out of place, not real life enough… i know this is all WIP and thats cool… but as with movies the actors make or break a story and the dialogues and acting is pivotal to success…

This is a hard topic to qualify and quantify… but a very important one as the wrong move with voice talent and dialogue could make or break the games success… as i said i am sure you will make the right choice and deliver it in glorious quality…

1 Like

Not American accents. Idk if the accent will be UK, czech, ect. But whatever you do, DO NOT FORCE ME TO READ SUBTITLES!!! That would be such a pain in the a** that i would just go bonkers. For me, it would ruin the immersion because technically, in a way if you were raised up speaking one language, then you would think that is just a very easy language to understand, just as if voiceovers were english on this game it would be very easy for me to understand BECAUSE i’ve been raised on english. I really don’t think it matters to much immersion wise. Just have english with NO AMERICAN ACCENT and not too many archaic words and it would be fine.

1 Like

Tis, thee, thy, thine. Those would be okay.

‘‘Would thee be interested in a quest? I shall reward you for thy help.’’

versus

‘‘Alas young fellow! Wouldest thee be bequirthed in thine adventure of the greatest sorts? Thoust be hansomely rewarded for thine troubles.’’

While it sounds nice, that’s A LOT of text, and conversations would make up three quarters of the game if it were written as such.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Poll: Voiceovers, accents and archaic language:

Hey guys,
I favor an option number 4: Use czech voice actors speaking english for peasants. Use german native speakers for some of the knights and nobels.

Reasons:
-The czech accent has a nice archaic flavor. The sound of it appeals to me as somewhat rough and it can be both, powerful and beautiful.
-It hasn’t been used a lot in international media, so your chance to deliver something special.
-It adds historical originality to the game and conforms to the medieval setting, which is what this community wants.
-Maybe knights and nobels could be speaking english with a german accent since much of the nobility in the area had a german cultural background. It would make them stand out and it would be easier to differentiate them.
-It is more important that the voice has personality than that it is understandable for everyone. Who needs to understand every single word can turn on subtitles.
-You are already good at speaking english with czech accent, so you sure find skilled voice actors who speak good english with czech accent.

-On the contrary shakespeare english can easily sound pretentious. Plus these guys probably charge you more. At best you’ll end up having a game that tries to compete to medieval movies from Hollywood.
-International english / american english voice acting is also a poor solution cause it sounds like CNN. Please do not do this. I don’t want to play a game about wild west.
-Czech only will rule out a great part of you audience. I don’t want to learn czech to play and I don’t want to end up focussing my eyes to reading subtitles either.

6 Likes

Greetings @Chretzel and @KingdomComeFan. If you gut at least the Peasant pledge from pledge.kingdomcomerpg.com you can freely move and reply everywhere at the forum! :slight_smile: You also don’t need to branch of topics and “destroy” or “cut” discussions but you can contribute to the existing ones! So what do you think? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some of my points may have already been voiced above, but I still thought i’d like to add my contribution to this topic:

If you can handle the load, I would do a Czech-language version w/the player countries language as subtitles. If you want to include English as well, either do it in a Czech accent or (gasp) an American accent.

If you go back far enough in linguistics, you’ll actually find that the modern British accent has morphed since the union with Scotland and Ireland in the early 18th century, and that the American accent has remained more-or-less unchanged from colonial English, which was similar to medieval English.

However, since the game is based in and around medieval Czechoslovakia, I’d invest more in a Czech-English accent for authenticity. If the money can be spared, I’d also have the clergy speak in Latin as it wasn’t until the printing press that countries preached the scripture in their own language. I’d also have the burghers and nobles speak in a Latin accent as well, given that it was the language of diplomacy up until the French became a superpower in the 17th century. Again, this is incredibly nitpicky and only if you have the money to do so.

Shouldn’t it be "I shall reward thee for thy help?

Say that out loud. If thee was replaced for you, thy would become thine.

‘‘I shall reward thee for thine help.’’

Shakespeare is hard to understand. However, even that sentence would sound incorrect as there would be no I. So now it is replaced by thou’st, making the sentence turn out to be like this.

‘‘Thou’st shall reward thee for thine help.’’

Now the sentence sounds wrong again since we’re mixing modern with Shakespearean. It goes on from here till it’s all in Shakespearean and we have no idea what they’re talking about. So the original sentence losing or changing one word will make the sentence change with it.

I really would like the voiceover to be Czech and German, with English subtitles.

the American accent has remained more-or-less unchanged from colonial English

Ah, no. Pretty common misconception. What changed was the fact that accents became non-rhotic. So, although American English may be a little closer to the Elizabethan accent than the likes of RP, regional English accents such as West Country, Cornish, Norfolk etc. have much more in common.

The above is a pretty outlandish claim really… Given that modern American English and associated accents have been just as heavily influenced by successive waves of immigrants to the U.S. (African, Irish, German, Spanish etc.)

The most major change in pronunciation that you’re referring to came about during what’s known as The Great Vowel Shift. Add to that immigration of other cultures and ethnic groups, variations in regional dialects, and mixed education levels… and more pronounced regional accents were born.

1 Like

I think the main reason people are attracted to a period game is that they expect that they will achieve a level of immersion in the time period of that game. The allure of putting your own life experiences away and imagining a new reality where you will have to relearn most of what you know can be very compelling, and the promise of delivering such an experience can be very marketable. Unfortunately you must plan that your average user is not going to play your game for more than 2-3 months, so there are some restrictions to the level of realism based on that time frame. People are not going to have the time to learn a new language, for instance. The audience is going to achieve the quickest and most efficient level of immersion if they are communicated to in their own language. UI, in game instructions, quests, journals, item descriptions, dialog, etc… accents provide variety and dynamism. They also allow you to get more voice options out of your actors. It may not be authentic, but it provides immersion.

Personally I would play a game with dialog in Czech or German and English subtitles, but I acknowledge that my tolerance level is not typical. I can’t help but worry that if this game’s dialog is restricted to American accents with modern slang that the period rpg gamer’s market will not be interested. If you are going to market to americans you’re going to want a full variety of accents and education levels to appeal to them. We do not have a universal culture. Limiting yourself in this area is kind of like shooting yourself in the foot. my opinion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well said sir!

…20 characters :smile:

I would LOVE to play the game subtitled while hearing characters speak Czech, German and Latin, accordingly. I would add IMMENSELY to the immersion.

Get Jean Reno to do one of them…

I think the main language of the game really hast to be English, simply to make it more accessible to a wider audience. I don’t think Shakespearean language is really an option, as it would be neither accessible nor lore friendly. I would really like to hear some genuine Czech / German actors speaking English in their native accents though, as this would add a great deal of authenticity to the game!