What do you think of first person?

If the dev team had said “no 3rd person”, why this discussion is so long?
I gave my money to WH so they could do the game as they stated. One of those promises was 1st person open world. If you give your money too, then you are paying for a 1st person open world game, no 3rd or mixed or view from a satellite.

Update #6 is very clear:

Again: we do not plan to allow you to control your character in 3rd person view

What else is to add? We are not designers/developers/investor. You are a costumer of a final product. If you like it, you buy it. If you don’t, buy another game.

3 Likes

If they do change their mind, and frankly since the game will also go to consoles 3rd person is likely, I hope they do it like Skyrim (I played that in first person, except for a few scenes where I wanted to see how cool my character looked, and a few times when I noticed people looked at me funny and I needed to check if I ran out of the house without pants again).

I don’t see why people want 3rd person, with exception to the people who get motion sickness:

• In 3rd person you can look around corners, and that is stupid, but when you play in 3rd person you will do it, because you can.
  • In 3rd person you do not see things because you are standing in your own way. This is especially true when going through narrow corridors.
  • 3rd person may give you more situational awareness, but limits your control over things done in detail close by.

I don’t get people who oppose the option for 3rd person view either:

• given that some people cannot play 1st person, it’s pure sadism,
  • it’s not a multiplayer game so what if the other guy can do things you cannot, that’s like liking to play a game on the hardest setting and demanding there not be an easy mode for the whimps,
  • have you ever played a first person game with a gamepad? Really hard I tell you, and I understood there would be console ports.
1 Like

It’s not opposing to 3rd person. I like 3rd person games (such as Fallout 1 & 2, Wasteland 2…).
But this game was planned (and sold) as 1st person, so I don’t see the point in asking for 3rd for this game.
It’s easy to do it? I don’t care. It could be extremelly easy (but I really doubt that!) to made the game with 3rd person view, but every line the devs have to write to made the game different from what they promise is a line less I get for the game I paid.
As I said: If you don’t like 1st person view… Why did you pay for it?

2 Likes

I do believe that the main argument here is that people don’t want devs spending resources and manpower on third person when warhorse could just do something else, like polishing up the game. If implementation is as easy as just allowing for the default Crysis 3rd person camera, I just see no reason why they would not do it, but if it actually costs them time and money, I could see why people who put money into it with promise of no 3rd person would object to this.

I have played ~100 hours of Skyrim on a pad. On a PC. In first person view. Using spells/crossbow. It’s perfectly fine.

Could be great!
I really think that could be nice

Ok, here’s another idea I’ve got.
I tried to put it into some kind of Q&A form.

Q:

Why did Warhorse create the game in 1st person specifically?

A:

Because they wanted to!

Further explanation:

It’s very likely that they designed the game deliberately for 1st-person only because they want you to experience the game in this way.

For example, in films, the director has a scene already in his mind before shooting it, maybe even the solutions how to achieve this vision. He has ideas how the setting has to look, which perspectives and angles have to be used, how the actors have to move and how they have to say something etc. This way he can emphasize certain aspects he deems important while he is also able to evoke a particular range of emotions in the viewer.

So, the unavailability of 3rd-person basically boils down to the fact (apart from the major redesign effort we already know of) that they don’t want the player to use 3rd-person because it can’t deliver the experience they’re striving for or have envisioned when they were starting to develop the game. Consequently they’ve chosen to take this approach out of artistic reasons.

Therefore it’s not just about “Can they do it?” (feasibility) but also about “Do they want to do it?” (intention). I think, that should also be considered in this whole thought process.

We believe that FPV allows for better immersion in the world

Just a little thought on the whole “Why no 3rd-person?” thing.

I mentioned this also in a similar thread.

3rd person continuation

5 Likes

they can be wrong…

Definitely approve of the 1st person view…

TPS just gets in the way and produces some aggravating camera work…

I saw some misconceptions about the oculus rift, that it had to be used with first person. That third person doesn’t work with oculus rift. I looked into it.
And it doesn’t matter at all. First or third influence on oculus rift, no difference. Except oculus is a cheaper solution than buying multiple screens or massive screens. Which is needed for a working first person. Third person works in all situations, 1 screen, multiple screens, or oculus rift
Oculus just gives large field of view, and gives you a cinematic feeling, no necessarily immersive.

Third person in skyrim is done very poorly. Skyrim is made for first person, with almost no attention to third person.
So the option is there, but not evenly distributed

Somethings I believe they could do:

• No HUD - takes off the realism;
  • Inventory system like The Witcher 2 - your caracter needs to be off battle, and there’s an animation of him sitting and opening a bag, or something;
  • No 3rd Person - personal preference.

You might consider to stop talking about misconceptions about 3rd person and then flatout lying about 1st person. It sort of undermines your credibility.

You should copy the rest of the comment, so the context is there.
And no i’m not lying
for a proper first person experience you need multiple screen or wider screens (which are probably not on the market) or oculus rift.
Of course you can still enjoy it, but its just good enough, we kind of misuse it.
And if you think i’m wrong; lying =/= delusion

You still don’t know how to edit?

Nonsense!
The only thing you’ve got right is that VR is not immersive, because it’s even far better than that! Just one word: presence!

Even if you’re knowing exactly that you aren’t there, your body and your brain on a subconscious level react as if you were there!

VR is not just wider FOV plus head tracking!

All these requirements need to be fulfilled, not just one or two!

Please, inform yourself, watch this:

and read this:

Yeah? So, even if it’s there you can’t stop whining.

See, even 3rd-person wouldn’t change anything for you, but keep the lame excuses coming. :stuck_out_tongue:

? "The only thing you’ve got right is that VR is not immersive, because it’s even far better than that!"
but then you show the definition of VR wikipedia with the first line “Virtual reality (VR), sometimes referred to as immersive multimedia,”. So i guess i’m not right?
but meh

Like I said multiple times, third person requires tweaking, its not that cheap like first person.
And a lot of people took skyrim as a good example of third person + first person. But the problem is, that in skyrim the game was made for first person, and the third person was done so badly,. So its a bad example to compare first with third.

And i don’t know what you want to prove, that there is more to oculus rift than what it tried to say in one line of text?
There is so much unsaid, and not enough in detail. But if I would do that I would write an article or video, and it wouldn’t become forum material. Like all the links you send, its more personal investigation than discussion.

I do not disapprove, let those links come.

(But again this becomes less the discussion about first vs third, instead it is more just the context of oculus rift, and I think i saw a separate topic about it.)

Very good point, totally agree on that!

1 Like

I’m sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. When a game is designed to be played in first person on one monitor, for a proper first person experience, all you need is one monitor. Because it’s designed to be played in first person. On one monitor. Like most first person games are. Just… Basic logic man. This is you artifically making up arguments to support your cause, which I can’t stand. At the very least don’t try to pass your opinion as the only truth.

don’t be so dramatic, you’ve probably seen all my previous arguments, so you know where i’m coming from.

And you act like all games made perfect design choices, which you probably also agree, completely isn’t true.
In most cases they made a lot of bad choices, with the quantity being decided by the publishers, which can’t be disputed. And because KCD doesn’t have publisher, all their choices where made without an dictating overlord. So we can either assume they thought their decision out very well, or we disagree and continue to discuss it.
(in my opinion, conclusions, experience, most games made bad design choices, so i have love/hate feelings towards games, which made me very cynical over even the games i really love)

Don’t force 1st person view. Make it optional.

I like first person view.