What I Love About the Combat (and other things I love)

I’ve noticed that there are a lot of threads floating around recently, that state what they don’t like about the combat. Often it boils down to a complaint about either lock-on or lack of directional blocking. This has generated a fair amount of debate (read: argument) about the validity of these claims. The conversations tend to revolve around all the negative aspects that people have with the game.
While criticism is important to a game’s development, it doesn’t do a whole lot to encourage the developers. Some positive reinforcement is needed, not only for dev morale, but so that the devs know what we like about the game, and what we don’t want them to change.
So @warhorse, I intend for this thread to be all the things that we love about the game so far - things we don’t want to change.

With that, I’ll start.

I love the combat so far. Yes, it could use some more work, but I think the stamina-health system is a brilliant way to simulate sword-combat. It doesn’t restrict you to some arbitrary health and damage system that has no bearing on one’s endurance, but they are linked in a way that makes sense, and has close ties to reality.

Next, the game is VERY pretty. The work done in the engine has most certainly paid off, even at this early point in the game’s development. I remember my first impression of the game, Tech Alpha 0.3. I started walking down the road to Samopesh, and I saw the grass waving in the wind. Absolutely stunning. The open fields of wildflowers and tall grass… I could almost smell the scents on the wind.

Lastly, I’ll talk about archery. The way that archery has been implemented so far is great. There’s no aiming reticule (which you wouldn’t have in real life :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), and the way that stamina drains as you keep the bow drawn helps remind you that it does in fact take strength to draw a bow. I love it.

That’s all I’ll say for now, but I would like to encourage others to post what they like about the game so far.

7 Likes

Overall everything I feel needs said I already did Here.

Since then I have added 85 hours to my playtime and combat has been released.

The combat needs some tweaking for sure as the team most certainly knows, but overall I am very impressed with the combat mechanics ability to make me feel as if I am indeed fighting.

Most games don’t give you a weighted feel to your hits received and given. When I land a succession of blows and my opponent backs off out of breath to regain stamina, I truly feel present and capable of manipulating my environment.

The locking system for the most part I am fine with I am interested to see its development and how interacting with multiple opponents will play out.