Alpha v0.2.1 Impressions 12hrs. Gameplay

I would like to start off by saying thank you to the @warhorse team for taking on a project that this industry so desperately needs. its been far to long since we have had a game that pushes the expectations of a gaming forward.

I have played 12 hours of the Kingdom Come Deliverance v0.2.1 alpha and I logged 20 hours on V0.1 build so I feel comfortable giving my impressions and opinions on the project thus far.

The experience begins at the menu. the view is awe inspiring, the warm glow of the sun cascading its light across the hills and distant woods down to a lovely patch of tall grass; with what I believe to be Chicory flowers dancing in the wind. the visuals draw you in but the sound captivates you the birds chirping, insects buzzing in the distance the only thing keeping me from being fully sucked into this reality is the menu options and the lovely soundtrack(I play with Music Disabled). If you sit idle watching long enough you will begin to hear the ping of the blacksmiths hammer adding another layer of the depth of this world, and if you wait even longer you will see just beyond the tall grass farmers beginning to work the field. within the menu screen you are drawn into a full living world that functions with or without your input.

Once into the world you find yourself on the road, to your right a lovely patch of forest and to your left in the near distance the village of Samopše. if you can manage to contain your unbridled joy and not sprint head strong into the village, but rather take a calm tour up the road you get the full experience of what is to come.

As you make your way into the village you see the villagers beginning their daily routines; some are headed to the fields to work the land, others gathering wood to stoke the fires, a few filling basins with fresh water, and then…well then there is Farmer Jerry sitting out front of his house on a lovely wooden bench looking miserable as all hell.

Should you choose to approach Jerry he tells you of his dire situation. His life is leaving him, straight out his ass and its all because of some harlot who poisoned him because he wouldn’t satisfy her unchristian like desires; you can leave it at that and leave poor Jerry to his fate or you can be decent and choose to help him and even investigate that matter further to uncover a deeper conspiracy and complete a multi-branching quest line.

Personally I’m less interested in helping Jerry and more interested in making the antidote that he needs, after being introduced into the herbalist through Jerry’s quest I stopped bothering with Jerry all together and committed the recipes to memory.

I spent a great deal of my time collecting plants to create the two available potions at this time so I can barter with the merchant taking everything from him I want.

The sense of achievement you get from the alchemy mini game is great, unlike most games where your hardly involved in the process (usually just picking ingredients and tools and then viola a potion is made) you really feel in control/responsible of the results of your labor. Timing and methodology play apart in being able to successfully create a potion.

Aside from Jerry King Poop Butt, there are some other little quests you can find yourself entangled into. the plot of land just outside the blacksmiths house is a farmer who isn’t too particularly fond of the blacksmiths Noisy habits. Then there is the old grumpy blacksmith bastard himself he is rather clumsy and has misplaced his hammer. you can meet up with the archer and shoot for some groshes if you got the skills. There is even a lost sheep that’s needs your help to find its way to its home.

As far as alphas go this is the most put together build I have seen, it is not without its faults there’s several bugs and its far from being fully optimized but, it leaves you with confidence a strong sense of faith in the WarHorse team the they may finally deliver us from the dark age of game development.

I see a bright future for this project and I will continue to invest my time and money into seeing this project come to its fruition.

things I would like to see for the next alpha build.

No birds flying at night IDK if bats would fit into this region but it would make more sense then seeing the same birds you are seeing during the day.

Save Feature I understand that this may not be high on the list of things to implement but it would be nice to have would help keep continued interest in playing for many.

Some kind of storage of course this would be useless without a save feature. It would be nice to have something to store collected goods in. what will I be collecting? everything! I’m one of those RPG hoarders I crashed Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas countless times decorating my homes with all my treasures and precious trophies from smashing skulls an such.

Anything else your willing to throw at us!

its a pleasure to be apart of this process Keep on Keeping on.

-McWonderBeast aka MahatmaGamer

15 Likes

thank you for the time you took doing

1 Like

that was truely beautiful

1 Like

Bats do fit in the region, but you never really see them, unless they land in your hair (hair doesn’t echo the soundwaves so they don’t see it). However if you spend a night outside in a countryside in the Czech Republic, you will be most probably very aware of presense of owls. Even if you can’t see them, you will hear them (mostly at dusk). These very aggressive night predators definitely should be present, if only through the sound.

1 Like

I disagree with this. You will see the bats. I know that my dad even managed to take some photos of them flying around and when you sit outside in summer around dusk you sometimes see shapes flying over the sky and shadows thrown by streetlamps. You can mistake them for swallows if you are not paying attention as they fly fast and it is bit difficult to see in dark.

1 Like

I am not from Czech Republic, but I often see bats flying around in the evening hunting insects. You also can hear them, silent high pitched tones. But you are right, they are invisible during the dark night and only visible trough bright street lights, and there were no bright street lights in 1403.

your right there wasn’t any street light or any other light pollution compared too modern times. have you ever lived in the country before? I have lived 50 miles away from any major city or towns and I used to see bats all the time in the moon light.

this game has an incredible world lighting system bats would be seen when it would be appropriate the birds that are already flying around disappear when they line up with the tree lines just like anything else would in real life.

I hope they become bats now, thanks for answering my question guys.

@snejdarek you can hear an owl already but none to be seen, yet.

You describe it to the point.

One point more on the wish list: :relaxed:

Chicks! They don´t run around at night! (“To go to bed (early) with the chickens”)
The loose chicks go into the stable or fly on trees (no joke!). In the night it´s dangerous. Fox, marten, big rats…

Innkeeper who dosn´t keep the inn… Marianne is only 2-4 hours at the inn. The drunkyards are going dry. Running around is not good for the business.

The herb woman has no daily routine. She stands up and sits down only. There should be eating, sleeping (in the hut is the only bed with pillow), washing clothes (nobody is washing, only drying!) searching herbs.

To do something. I love it, like in Gothic, to sit down, making dinner, drink a beer, pick wood, go sleeping…

The improvment from 0.1 is amazing. Searching for bugs is really funny now. WH are top-performing!
I hope they stay in time. :thumbsup:

Blacksmith

2 Likes

Yeah one star in the dark ages. I really feel that games are dead. They are lots of good games but not really any improvments on gameplay and world immersion.

I don’t feel that games are dead. I see it like this-

the innovation the passion the pure unhindered creativity that drove the origins of this industry itself is dying, not because it isn’t there but because it is being stifled by money hungry capitalists that are only concerned with the bottom line. Games these days are just like any other product.

I see the future of gaming being in public funded projects. I think one day we will also see a universal language that all programmers will port from, kind of like a digital Gene pool.