What will be the saving system?

I really hope for a save anywhere and anytime system.

I never liked to be forced to play more time then planned just because the check point isn’t anywhere near, or to close the game and waste the last 10-20 minutes because real life calls before reaching a saving point.

Some auto saves here and there to avoid losing progresses are always nice too, at least for me.

7 Likes

I agree to Lubigno, its horrible to see games which aren’t giving the possibilty to save the game right in that moment because you are getting a phone call or you have to get your kids from school or or or or… there are so many things which are possible and forcing you to leave home for hours and it would be terrible if you can’t save your game and have to play hours again because a storm comes up and you want to save your hardware from the effects of lightnings for example.

The game doesn’t need restricted save modes either because I think it will be difficult enough because they want to implement real fencing with swords… see the blacksmith not dying is not the problem I think :wink:

2 Likes

I would be fine with either a checkpoint system or a more free system as long as I can save somewhat frequently. Like others have stated before, a system like in the Mount and Blade games where you can choose how and when to save would be ideal for me.

Agree that having the option makes the most sense and will ultimately satisfy the most people. Maybe make an achievement or a badge for those who ‘complete’ the game with auto/manual saves turned off. That way the hardcore gamers can feel special.

I must admit that i have had trouble with the “prepare to die” style saving. So please let this have an option to avoid it at least.

As it is going to be playable on Xbox and PS I have doubts we can avoid “checkpoints”, but as each character is going to have some history with the player, it will have to be more likely an “autosave” of the whole world. Than there is no obstacle to allow regular saves anytime and anywhere, atleast for PC version of the game as it will be very space consuming. But please, no checkpoint only saving system for PC!

I just came up with a weird thought: What if the games saves regurlarly in cities (checkpoints) but at the same time you get a certain amount of free saves which you have to earn. I.e. You got 1 save token for that quest or from that merchant. This would keep up the thrill as in Dark Souls but gives you the liberty of free saves at the same time :wink:

Dark Soul isn’t a RPG but a TPS (third person slayer) with skills. Most games with respawning enemies after a reload are result of inferior programing. Also checkpoints are poor choice for a game like KC-D and an optional ironman save system(with periodical autosave and at-quiting autosave) that dont let you reload after your death is more real life like and challenging.

1 Like

Well, we know about “decisions which you can’t take back” so that excludes classic saving system “whenever”.

On the contrary saving system “whenever” let you save the whole actual state of the world including the points of no return. Or atleast it should. Gothic III is huge open world with fame and ultimate decisions, that can be saved any time. Even quick save and quick load is possible as it should be in any RPG.

I’m for quick save and manual save + auto-save (checkpoints).
Of course wherever, whenever.
Maybe some kind of cooldown for quick and manual save.
Just to prevent spamming F6.

1 Like

adapted enemy strength + manual save = good solution
scripted enemy strength + manual save = really bad solution

That system “save anywhere” is still a mood killer, for ex. You dont know what will happen? save and let it be, aah this will happen, i dont like that. so back and different option :stuck_out_tongue: yea you wont do that every time, but in some cases why live with that when you can change to better easily. I am for quit and save option + autosave :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Witcher games also had decisions that you could not ‘roll back’, and the way they have managed this was by giving you result of your actions even as much as several hours after making a decision. Which feels both more organic and interesting than arbitrarily limiting player in when he wants to save.

As you might have noticed, I am very much rooting for save anywhere system, ideally with an optional iron man mode. I don’t quite have as much spare time as I’d like to and games which don’t allow me to save anywhere (or at least aren’t extremely generous with checkpoints) are generally games I just stop playing

5 Likes

Since the game takes place in the middle ages, it is only reasonable to demand that it should only be possible to save or indeed be saved by visiting a church.

And only if you grant the church a generous donation.

Crap, I’m getting flashbacks to GTA2

2 Likes

Why don’t let the player have to travel to Jerusalem and visit The Church of the Holy Sepulchre just to save? :stuck_out_tongue:
Just to make it even more tedious and annoying.
Also, when there’s a reward on the player’s head because he has killed too many people this church could be like Pay’n’Spray in GTA, after the visit he’s no more wanted. Absolved of his sins. :smiley:

Don’t take this too serious.

I agree that waiting for a checkpoint to save is annoying in games. I’ll add my vote to the option of saving manually any time you want. The only exception would be during battles or pre-arranged scenes that need to play out.

2 Likes

Free save system is a must-have-feature for a PC game. Some sort of ironman settings with permadeath or only a few save slots could be good as well.

1 Like

I’d much prefer a save anywhere option for both PC and consoles as people never know when the power might go out or they get called away for something and don’t want to leave the game running.