Why no directional blocking?

Video description: I didn’t wear any plate exept for the helmet to make my claim that its too easy for players like me. However if you are fighting without armor it’s impossible because of the bleeding effect.

Good show. You are pretty good at combat. :thumbsup:

I’ve noticed when I fight, the AI will sometimes be easy or extremely hard. I’ve beaten the knight a few times in fair fights, but sometimes the beginner fighter will waste me.
Good days and bad days I guess.

1 Like

For me it’s mostly the fps drops which make me waste a counter.
But I have to agree that the AI’s strenght can vary a bit.
Also I didn’t figure out yet what to do if the enemy dodges. (because you kinda get stunned by that)

1 Like

I dont know what is this, but that is not the level which my enemy is on.
I am starting to think that my game is bugged.

I guess the AI may be unpolished and acts different if you fight different.

Yes, that’s possible.
I played 0.4 a little, but was put back by the low framerate - on my PC 0.3 ran around 60+ fps on very high, yet in 0.4 there are some framedrops as well as lower framerate in general.

Also, to me the combat seemed very “locked” and repeatable, and the controls were not so good with keyboard + mouse. I shared my experience about this in another topic.

I see big potential in KC:Deliverance and as far as I’m concerned speaking about the things that should be improved is the main focus of this forum and the pre-release stage in general.

In my experience it all comes down to block or counter a hit. If you get hit several times (depending on your armour) your stamina will decrease too much to deliver any damage to your opponent. But it’s the same thing happening to your opponent. So being able to counter will decrease your enemies stamina aswell and will make his attacks less damaging.

2 Likes

it kinda sucks that the npc could counter my counter since it just leads to my bum being pummeled.

You can counter his counter, but watch out, he can counter your counter to counter his counter that countered your counter.

2 Likes

If someone send me proof of that I would donate 50€ and name him lord. :smile:

1 Like

you saying your enemy never countered your counter?

Dude, I once counter countered his counter countered counter for like 3 times in row, it was bloody epic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I try to record it this weekend.

I have been locked in counter bout for long enough I gave up and just took the hit.

5 counters is my record

Sure some of my counters got countered but it’s really difficult to manage that many counters.

Yep it is.
Btw, I finally defeated that guy after a long time. (I defeated him before several times bu recently I had no luck)

But it was no easy feat. I had to strategically use different strike directions and clinches.
Thing is that if you strike from the opposite direction of the enemy stance you are more likely to hit.

Also clinching someone and then use stabbing combo is really effective.

Still, defeating the armored guy is all about draining his stamina so best course is to rush him from the begining before he starts to do something. But from my experience it is not always 100%

1 Like

Congratulations, you just figured out something taught to every fencer ever. :wink:

I’m assuming they haven’t implemented the meisterhau (master strikes), which among other purposes are designed to break particular guards. IE if the target is in left von tag, you strike a zwerchau from your left (towards his right temple).

Well, yea. But we are talking about a game here, which might not eaxtly abide the laws of physics.

found this:

Not where I can watch the whole thing, but the first part of the video pretty much covers it: If the target is in von tag, zwerchau will break his guard (he doesn’t necessarily even need to attack. If you want to be aggressive, throw that zwerchau to take the vor and force HIM to respond).

It also nicely illustrates why directional blocking, or even having a dedicated “block” button in general, wouldn’t be the best representation or means of simulating real European swordsmanship, which the game is trying to do. Yes, the zwerch defends against an oberhau (falling cut from the shoulder), but is executed as an ATTACK to at least threaten the opponent (in longsword, in almost all cases the cut is to the opponent, not to the opponent’s sword).

Think this combat system has promise but not sure it will have that long term hook that Warband MP carries. HAave to admit I do really miss the directional blocking as that really is the most satisfying aspect of a really good duel as well as chaotic 3 on one combat etc… While I understand the argument that directional blocking is not in itself realistic - it to me does the best job of representing “catching” an enemy blow correctly in lightning time and takes much more skill then a simple one button push. Another thing I find puzzling is the rejection of DB by purists while accepting that holding a Block would drain all your fatigue. Now im no professional swordsman short of Saturday Nerf Wars with my kids, I do have pretty extensive combat training and in no circumstance that I know of does the holding of a block fatigue me. If one held a constant block of the head in boxing, the opponent would merely attack the body but the holding of the guard in of in itself requires no stamina. Now surely swords are heavier than arms but the point still stands -a trained fighter would not lose all stamina in 10 seconds of holding an 8lb sword.

Now im not versed yet enough in this system but am wondering if position also effects the quality of the block (are there varying degrees?) or is it merely a timing game? All in all still optimistic about the game and combat I just hope there is enough nuance to make it something one would want and need to master over time as THAT is the hook.