Will Anti-Semitism Be Addressed?

The title says it all. If this is a historical game, will there be the presence of Jewish characters or other ethnicities and how they were viewed/treated during the game’s setting?

3 Likes

During the time of the pest in the 1340’s they were accused of poisoning the wells but I don’t think there will be ‘pest stuff’ in the period of Kingdom Come.

1 Like

Well yes, but still, It is a very interesting question.
On one hand, it would be realistic, if people would hate jews in the game, because they were hated by that time (and it lasted till WW2)
And on the other hand, I am afraid of some problems it would cause. I bet some ppl would say it’s a racist game and the studio is a bunch of nazis. Thats what pisses me off, people should realize, that if it’s a realistic projection, it’s not racism. It’s the same like documentary and history movies.

4 Likes

How about they just ignore it and not even mention it. Is there any need to mention it?

4 Likes

We cannot mention everything, but I hate the idea of self censorship not to ruffle feathers. I think some racial problem or for example homosexual characters could make for a good story.

You are right that’s exactly what it is. The problem is that games are still seen as a brainwashing devil’s tool (of course not as much as it used to be) while movies are considered art.
So showing the hate against jews in a movie would be informative and a reflection of occured events while it would be a support to antisemitism in a game.
This is for sure a very radical way of seeing this situation but sadly it applys in many cases. Big franchises like GTA learned to deal with controversal content but they can take it.

Long story short: I think it would be legitimate to include it but I doubt such a young studio like Warhorse will dare to take this step. Maybe they will mention the situation but I don’t think they will make much around it. And it’s probably not necessary for the story they want to tell… but of course we don’t know.

1 Like

What you want to see a story line that concentrates on the victimisation of Jews and Homosexuals. Do you want Warhorse to go bust from claimants?

You want to change the main character to be a black Homosexual of Jewish belief? All minorities would be pleased. No feather ruffling, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As I see it, it would only cause problems for the developers & the users.

What benefits would it bring to the game?

Balla. :0/

2 Likes

I don’t want to focus entire story, I just think that a bit of here and there would make a compelling and interesting writing.

No. I think the character backstory is fine as it is. I do not call for any blacks in the game. I am just saying that quest involving a homosexual or Jewish character might be an interesting addition and is an opportunity for good writing and human drama.

Why are you twisting my words so much?

Ivanhoe has Jews, but is not focused on the Jewish problem. It is closer to what I would like the game to have.

4 Likes

Maybe that’s why all the publishers wanted a fantasy rpg, so they don’t need to face real-world conflicts and problems and nobody gets offended. I would also like to see some controversial aspects either in a religious or ethnic way. Things that make you think about.

6 Likes

True!
Actually devs and authors try more and more to bring this racist and minority topic into games. Like they do in the Witcher or Dragon Age in which the place of suppressed minorities is represented by the elves who are in general the “jews” of these universes (being pent up in certain parts of towns; basically ghettos / only being allowed to learn unwanted or bad paid profession / being seen as parasites although they are just refugees etc.)

Of course nobody will complain about that, at least nobody who wants to be taken serious. But it shows that devs want to deal with this social topics. It is just much easier to do it with fantasy-based creatures as the media won’t play the “this game spreads racist ideas”-card.

3 Likes

I’m no expert but I think it was no racial problem but a problem of religion. And if you learn for example such a fact from the game, then it would already be a nice feature. But it is not only about learning stuff. You can also make good story with it… See ‘the merchant from venice’ for example…

[quote=“Sheppard, post:3, topic:9870”]
Well yes, but still, It is a very interesting question.On one hand, it would be realistic, if people would hate jews in the game, because they were hated by that time (and it lasted till WW2)[/quote]
Well, the situation is more complicated than “they were hated”:

• Jews were protected by their liegelord, because they paid very high special taxes.
  • Jews were banned from any crafts (occasionally they could make stuff for other Jews and Jews only). They could be merchants but could only sell stuff the local Christian merchants didn’t.
  • Therefore, as they also were non-christians, they were the only one who could give loans and practice usury (it was their only option beside outright thievery basically).
  • Therefore they were hated by uneducated common people for perceived usurping and unfair conditions. (How often can we see these attitudes nowadays?)
  • As non-christians and “the guys who killed Jesus” they were despised by people of all sorts and were not protected by the Church.
  • As the hated ones they kept being acused of literally anything bad that could happen.
  • As lords generally were very machiavelistic they of course didn’t protect their Jews when people got too angry. They were the scapegoats of the time.

All this could make up for interersting stories where we depict historically accurate antisemitism, very strong one, but also decently explain it’s true roots, which, however understandable and rational, were mostly caused by the christian society itself.

15 Likes

I mentioned this in another thread on a similar topic about Moors and I will repeat it here.

PLEASE PLEASE CAN WE HAVE A GAME THAT DOESN’T HAVE ANY STORYLINE THAT REVOLVES AROUND RELIGIOUS BELIEFS

That goes for any side quests, awards, etc, etc. I am already fed up with religious & sexual propaganda just reading this forum. I do not want to play a game that advertises, plays with or diminishes any religion of any kind.

If you are going to start adding Jews & Black people for the sake of it why not include Chinese, Indian and other Ethnic backgrounds as well as Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism as well just to make sure you do not offend a whole lot of people.

Let Warhorse do what they want and stop pushing this rubbish in peoples faces please.

1 Like

So, uhh, you want a game with “Kingdom Come” and “Deliverance” in its title, a game set in times when eschatological tensions were running high, a game set during a major schism in the Church, a game portraying the years leading to a major historical conflict heavily influenced by faith, you want this game “not to have any storyline that revolves around religious beliefs”… Right…

9 Likes

Just getting tired of having to read through this rubbish to be honest!
Something which as of today will stop as I doubt I will be returning here any time soon!

Can’t remember that we signed a contract to be forced to read every single post and thread in this forum.
I understand your frustration about this tedious topcis which come up over and over again just for being as useless and unanswered as before. Nevertheless you don’t have to read through the whole board and pay attention to topics you are tired of. If people enjoy crushing each other sculls over the same topics again and again, let them be. You don’t have to get involved if you don’t want to. Just sayin’

Back to topic: Although this whole racial and minority problematic is a high-wire act in every (history based) game - which can seem offensive to many people - it is still part of our history and we have to face that it happened.
If it is necessary to make it part of this game although it doesn’t enrich the story the devs want to tell, this is a different question.

As a Jew of Eastern European descent, I’d very much like to see Jewish characters or the Jewish community of the time depicted in the game. I’d like to a chance to see/interact with characters who represent, essentially, my ancestors. That said, of course, if Jews really didn’t live in the areas in which the game is set, or adding subplots about Jewish characters would be overly burdensome on the devs, or even if the Jewish story just doesn’t fit within this game, that’s fine. Unlike what some of the board’s less enlightened members think, nobody is demanding that the game includes minority groups. I just know that I’d be very interested in this aspect of medieval Bohemian society.

8 Likes